Tasmania for 5 days

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
wuster

Tasmania for 5 days

Post by wuster » 15 November 10 4:58 pm

Hi all,

My wife (by the time of the visit) and I are planning to visit Tasmania at the end of Nov for 5 days for our honeymoon. We are planning to land in Hobart and drive up to Launceston and visit areas in between. I would, of course, like to cache along the way, but my wife-to-be is not much of a geocacher. Is there any recommendation to where to visit (preferable w/ geocaches to find) that would make both of us happy?

thanks! :)

wuster from Hong Kong

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Re: Tasmania for 5 days

Post by CraigRat » 15 November 10 5:20 pm

If you go from Hobart to Launnie via the East coast it's a better experience than driving up the midlands to Launceston. The Midlands highway os basically just a drive thru farmland for 200km
. It's more of a drive to go via the East Coast but theres a lot more to see and do, plus the scenery is breathtaking IMO.

That then take you over near Freycinet Nat. Park which has Wineglass bay (rated in the top 5 beaches in the world), well worth the detour.

Theres quite a few easy caches on the way too, nothing that'd get you in any trouble with your wife :lol:

Also, the drive via the West coast is super awesome too, but it's a massive detour.......

wuster

Post by wuster » 15 November 10 7:26 pm

Thanks CraigRat, I do mean driving via the East Coast, but not directly up. :)

So far, we are planning to stay overnight in Hobart for the first day, and then go visit a Wildlife Park and Port Arthur on the second day (is this good for a day?) and Freycinet Nat. Park & Bicheno on the third. I am not sure where we should stay on the second night yet, any suggestions?

Also, between ZooDoo, Bonorong, and Tasmanian Devil Park, which is better? :)

Thanks! So looking forward to the trip to Tasmania! :)

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 15 November 10 7:42 pm

Port Arthur and surrounds - some great geological stuff there - take a day in their own right. Don't rush it!

wuster

Post by wuster » 17 November 10 1:37 pm

Thanks for advice!

I am also thinking about either visiting Cradle Mountain or Blue Mountain (in Sydney where we plan to stay for a few days), if our time are limited to only one of the 2, which one would you recommend? :)

thanks!

Cached

Post by Cached » 17 November 10 5:55 pm

I'd go Cradle Mountain!

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 18 November 10 5:03 pm

If you want spectacular scenery, but unfortunately without a cache at the top, but a couple on the way, find your way to Ben Lamond ski fields. The road up is spectacular. The actual place you are looking for is called Jacobs Ladder. And what you are looking for. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F66Hu1GrrvQ

If you search for my profile on GC.com, and have a look at my cache logs, you will see we spent 3 weeks in Tasmania earlier this year, but travelling in the opposite direction to your intended route. Still, it should give you a fair idea.

Cheers
Bundy

Dippedidooda

Post by Dippedidooda » 21 November 10 11:08 pm

If you only have 5 days in Tassie I'd just go up the east coast and not try to go over to Cradle - otherwise you'll just be driving and not have time to just be in any of the places. (Even though Cradle Mountain is great - I think there's no point in going there if you can't stay and enjoy it for a day or two). I'd recommend staying a night somewhere down Port Arthur way so that you can have the day either side to explore that area (I'd recommend the ghost tour at Port Arthur which goes in the evening time). Then head up the coast and spend a couple of days around Freycinet. You need a few hours at least to walk over to Wineglass Bay - that's lovely - And there's a few caches along the way. Going at least up to the lookout is a must do if you're any way able to walk (in my opinion!). Have only been to Bonorong out of those three listed and that was good.

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 28 November 10 8:12 pm

Wildlife parks? Bonorong gets our vote. When do you arrive in Hobart? Time for a dinner or drink when you arrive?

5 days is not long to see Tassie.

Day 1 in Hobart, then day 2 head to Bonorong, on to Richmond, down to Port Arthur. Stay overnight. Morning to catch up on the rest of the scenery, Doo Town, Devils Kitchen, Blow Hole then head up towards Coles Bay. Stay the night and do the walk over to Wine Glass Bay, head on up the coast Bicheno - stop for the blowhole, up the hill to Mt Elephant pass Pancake Parlour and some spectacular scenery. Chain of Lagoons, Falmouth - good caches take you to another blowhole, yes we like visiting blowholes :D Across to Launceston via Ansons Bay and Scottsdale. That should keep you busy and plenty of good caches along the way.

Enjoy your stay.

Cheers Quilter