Visiting in summer... eeerrr winter that is (WA, NT)

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
on4bam

Visiting in summer... eeerrr winter that is (WA, NT)

Post by on4bam » 02 February 10 7:51 pm

Hi,

Next July/August we will make a tour in WA and NT. Of course we will do the "tourist thingies" but time permitting we will also go out to find caches along the way. We do Perth-Exmouth (Perth, Geraldton, Kalbarri, Monkey Mia, Coral Bay,Exmouth) in WA and Alice-Uluru via the Mereenie loop in NT.
Long multis will not be possible but short ones as well as traditionals and the occasional mystery or virtual should be OK.

Any of you knows of any caches that we "must do" because of special views or hidden treasures?
Anything we should look out for (not grab under a stone before we know it's the cache location and not a snake nest :mrgreen: )?

Thanks in advance.
Maurice

http://www.on4bam.com

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Visiting in summer... eeerrr winter that is (WA, NT)

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 03 February 10 12:20 am

Nothing special to know about caching as such, just the warnings that you'll get from all the "go outback" sites and pamphlets.

There's lots of venomous snakes here, but they're less dangerous than the venomous spiders and scorpions and jellyfish. DO NOT poke around under rocks or in stumps, etc. with your bare hands; carry gardening gloves and a hand mirror (to look inside places where you can't directly see.)

Australia is big, and most of it is empty. If your 4WD breaks down and you're not on a well-used road, you might die, even in winter. If you're going off the beaten track, let someone know where you're going, carry water and supplies for several days, and have a good radio (not much cellphone coverage outside the towns.) A satellite phone is even better!

Here on GCA there's a recommendation system for caches that are listed here as well as those listed on the international site. That's not a bad starting point for "must do" caches.

tttedzeins

Post by tttedzeins » 07 February 10 3:03 pm

Hi there. During your stay in Alice look me up if you have time, I would be glad to be your in town tour guide. There are some caches not to miss.
Capricorn Stuart GCQ9K3
Communications Station GCPVMN

The following require a bit of an uphill hike but the view is worth it.
Top Red Centre GCJ703
Gillen GCQWQ1 (although this one is listed as a multi cache it is not really)

I am not a big fan of the caches in the Yulara area, as their maintenance usually falls to me.
The Mereenie loop is awesome, we have done it around 15 times, just be careful as it can be really deserted.

on4bam

Post by on4bam » 09 February 10 5:42 am

tttedzeins wrote:Hi there. During your stay in Alice look me up if you have time, I would be glad to be your in town tour guide. There are some caches not to miss.
Capricorn Stuart GCQ9K3
Communications Station GCPVMN

The following require a bit of an uphill hike but the view is worth it.
Top Red Centre GCJ703
Gillen GCQWQ1 (although this one is listed as a multi cache it is not really)

I am not a big fan of the caches in the Yulara area, as their maintenance usually falls to me.
The Mereenie loop is awesome, we have done it around 15 times, just be careful as it can be really deserted.
Thanks for the hints. I've looked into these caches and it seems Top Red Centre should be one I could do. It's not too far from our B&B and some of the pics on the cachepage have roos on them... \:D/
I guess we will not encounter traffic jams while driving the Mereenie Loop ;-) Just looking forward to see as much wildlife as possible and as little people as possible. Do you have an idea on how cell phone coverage is there? I plan to take my HF radio (amateur radio) with me just to be sure I'll be able to reach someone, just in case.

tttedzeins

Post by tttedzeins » 09 February 10 9:10 pm

Top Red Centre is very steep but worth it. Plan on around 2 hours to do it. If you plan on going to Flynns grave or Simpsons Gap then Gillen is on the way it will take around 2-3 hours round trip depending on your fitness level (just to brag a little it usually takes me around 1.5 hours).

Cell phones pretty much do not work from about 40km out of Alice. Spotty around Hermansberg. Kings Canyon and the Rock are good but in between is also no go. HF will work or you can rent a Sat phone for around $20.00 per day.

Roos aren't garanteed, BUT, if you go to the Heavy Tree Gap motel at around 4-5pm you can purchase pellets and feed wild wallabies. It is actually more fun than one would imagine.
Usually around the Telegraph Station trig beacon there are a few hanging out in the afternoons.

Suprisingly enough Mereenie can be pretty busy, the one time we did it we saw about 10 cars, watch out for camels they're a pest.