Filtering caches for the trip

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
geospyder

Filtering caches for the trip

Post by geospyder » 22 January 10 5:03 pm

Normally when we're on a trip we filter out caches that haven't been found in the last thirty days. We find that this keeps us from spending time looking for a cache that might actually be missing. Someone mentioned in another thread that this might be too strict of a filter for Tasmania since some caches go longer between finds. What would you locals recommend? 30 days? 60 days? 90 days?

LazyLeopard
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Re: Filtering caches for the trip

Post by LazyLeopard » 22 January 10 11:11 pm

Get away from the busy areas, and you'll find caches which maybe get a dozen visits a year if they're lucky, and you'll miss many of those if you filter on "not found in the last N days". Much better to filter on caches which have "Not Found" notes as a high proportion of their most recent logs (if that's possible).

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 23 January 10 8:22 am

we also have recommendations and cache ratings here for both gc and gca caches, and they are a pretty good way of sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Also, if you want to broaden your caching horizons, try a gca cache or two, as theres a fair number of them on your proposed routes. It wont help your gc cache count, but theres some great caches listed here (approx 28% of caches in Tassie are listed here exclusively)

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 23 January 10 8:51 am

On one of my other postings Caughatwork posted a link so I could download the GCA caches. I'm going to merge them with my regular query for Tasmania. I'll have between 500 to a 1000 caches loaded in my GPS with all their descriptions and logs in my PDA. The idea is that where ever we are I can look at the GPS to see if there are caches close by, then check them out on the PDA. No specific goal other than to grab a couple per day. My wife has a whole list of areas she wants to visit. The two I'm looking forward to seeing are the Freycinet National Park and Tasman National Park areas.