Deadly Creatures

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
Javamama

Deadly Creatures

Post by Javamama » 03 February 05 4:34 pm

I'm visiting Brisbane in Feb. For the past month I've been looking up caches and looking forward to some Oz geocaching adventures. :)

This past week everytime I turned on the TV, I found some show about Australia's deadly creatures. After 5 nights of watching the near-death experiences of victims of crocodiles, deadly spiders, snakes and even poisonous trees I have to admit I'm a bit paranoid about poking around looking for caches. :shock:

Any advice from local geocachers on how real the potential dangers are and how you avoid them?

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 03 February 05 4:54 pm

Watch out for those security guards :twisted:
Agsmky

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Re: Deadly Creatures

Post by dcr » 03 February 05 4:57 pm

Javamama wrote:Any advice from local geocachers on how real the potential dangers are and how you avoid them?
Wear boots, don't stick your hand in without checking first, run faster than the other tourist if there is a crocodile ;) Watch out for the 'Drop Bears' :twisted:

Common sense is good, you'll be ok :)

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 03 February 05 5:17 pm

I'm a Brisbane geocacher.

February is actually the month that snake eggs hatch around these parts, so it is actually the most dangerous month of the year for snakes, because snakes will normally run away if you make plenty of noise, but at this time of the year they will stay to defend their eggs or their young.

That being said, the only places that I wouldn't cache at this time of year would be in very long grass. I'm not worried about going out in the bush or poking around logs, but I am careful about doing those things... i.e. tap the log before you put your hand in; be careful where you step etc. If you're mainly caching in and around parks, you've probably got nothing to worry about in regards to snakes.

RE: Spiders... other than overcoming your fear of walking into a web and having a 4 inch spider crawl over you briefly before he jumps off in fear, there isn't anything to be too concerned about. As I said most of them will run rather than bite unless you put your hand right on them... if you're careful its not a problem.

I've lived in Queensland and only seen a handful of snakes in my life & they've all run. Spiders are everywhere, but as I said, they'll run as well.

Maybe the above sounds conflicting, but in summary: be careful, but don't be scared.

Oh and crocodiles... there's none south of cairns (1000km north of brisbane).

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 03 February 05 5:21 pm

Serious now Javmama :roll: ,

There are no crocodile anywhere near Brisbane (Mackay at 800km north has one small 2m crocodile at the moment, not very harmful :lol:, which is generally accepted as the southerly limits of crocodiles).

Spiders and snakes may be a problem any time of the year though the chances of being bitten if you don't touch them are extremely small....Follow some of Dcr's advise (up to the running part :twisted: ).

The poisonous tree you may be refering to would be the (Giant) Stinging Tree and i would assume its cousins the stinging nettle (some are also known by other names, Gympie Gympie etc) If you stick to trails as much as possible you will have no trouble. The caches you are visiting will genereally tell you if there are known problems in the area. I can't recall reading of any problems in Brisbane.

Don't forget to include such things as 'Ticks' and the good old leech :lol:

The worst situation i come across in the bush is the spiderweb in the face :shock: (especially if you the tallest person in the group :cry: ) though there never seems to any spider attached to my face :?

Enjoy your stay :D and don't worry 8)

Regards

Agsmky

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 03 February 05 5:24 pm

The Garner Family wrote: Oh and crocodiles... there's none south of cairns (1000km north of brisbane).
You need to get out more :twisted:

Agsmky

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 03 February 05 5:28 pm

The Garner Family wrote:I'm a Brisbane geocacher.

Oh and crocodiles... there's none south of cairns (1000km north of brisbane).
Beg to differ, I lived in Townsville for quite some time and crocs were quite common around there. Crocs are also to be known to be found up to 200klms off shore. The crocs can be found down as far as Rockhampton

Quote from the Queensland EPA/QPWS page "Estuarine crocodiles are found throughout south-east Asia — from India all the way south to Australia.

They are found across northern Australia in fresh and salt water habitats. In Queensland, estuarine crocodiles lives mainly in coastal waters between Rockhampton and Cape York and throughout the Gulf of Carpentaria.

Although it lives mainly in the tidal reachers of rivers, the estuarine crocodile is also common in freshwater lagoons and swamps and beaches. This crocodile can even be seen in inland waterways hundreds of kilometres from the sea and on Great Barrier Reef islands."

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 03 February 05 6:00 pm

Make a lot of noise and most snakes will get out of your way and you'll be lucky to see them

Don't put your hands into any holes witout poking around with a stick first

And, as others have warned, watch out for Drop Bears :twisted:

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 03 February 05 6:30 pm

The crocs can be found down as far as Rockhampton
Actually you're right, I do recall hearing stories about crocs coming out of the Fitzroy River (in Rockhampton), but I can tell you that I lived in that area for 18 years and never saw one and never knew anyone that saw one.

Certainly if you're caching in Brisbane, you don't need to think twice about Crocodiles.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 03 February 05 8:42 pm

The Garner Family wrote:
Certainly if you're caching in Brisbane, you don't need to think twice about Crocodiles.
Not unless you are Steve Irwin's kid........ :shock: :P

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 03 February 05 9:11 pm

Don't forget to look out for the red toped pleese egsplain and friends :twisted: .

I take it you shouldn't play with cane toads is that right? :? When I was up there some years back I saw a lot of what I think was them.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 03 February 05 9:19 pm

LOL, shes out at Ipswitch.....long way away :)

/me starts singing "My Shopping trolley murdered, my grocery's are gone, i dont like, I just dont like it...."

Back to the subject,

Give us a yell when your in town.

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 03 February 05 9:28 pm

Where are you visiting from??

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 04 February 05 10:09 am

I take it you shouldn't play with cane toads is that right?
Cane toads are everywhere. Go near water at night and you will be able to find at least 20 (that's not an exageration), maybe 100 or more.

Cane toads are poisonous, but not venomous, i.e. provided you don't lick them (or your hands after touching them) you won't have a problem. I and my children pick them up all the time... they're cute little critters, just a shame they're such a menace.

Citria
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Citria » 04 February 05 5:39 pm

Hey Javamama
Thought I'd let you know that there are some Brisbane-ites who are not at all keen on crawlies, but still manage to go caching. I am terrified of spiders Imageand not to keen on toads either, but I still manage to get out there (and I have never been bitten by anything deadly!) As was mentioned earlier, wear closed-in shoes and avoid long grass. A stick (or a tall person :lol: ) comes in handy for clearing spiderwebs out of the way. As for the deadly plants - well, I guess having cobblers pegs in your socks is a pain, but other then that you should be fine!
Enjoy Brisbane :D .