Seven Mile Beach, Tasmania

Coming To Australia??? Tell us your plans, ask us questions, You're bound to find an answer here.
geospyder

Seven Mile Beach, Tasmania

Post by geospyder » 25 April 09 3:00 pm

We'll be visiting from the high desert of Nevada, USA next February 20 thru March 2. Ten months away plus at least three major trips between now and then but we are already looking forward to the trip. We'll be staying at a time share condo in Seven Mile Beach. This will be strictly a sightseeing and geocaching trip. Only ten days so we'll have to pack a lot in each day.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 25 April 09 3:15 pm

If you'd like to meet up with some locals, there's a decent spot for an event close by plus plenty of spots closer to Hobart. If you'd like some recommendations the locals are happy to help. Seven Mile Beach is a lovely spot. :wink:

Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Fairly Magic » 25 April 09 9:07 pm

We look forward to seeing your logs, and having an event in your honour :D There are some fantastic caches around 7 Mile that will keep you busy and walking. Cheers Quilter

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 26 April 09 4:55 am

Thanks for the friendly replies. I just did a query using 11.265 Kilometre as the center and see that there are over 300 caches just within a 30 kilometer radius. I have ten months and a lot of puzzles to solve. This is going to be fun.

geospyder

Re: Seven Mile Beach, Tasmania

Post by geospyder » 27 October 09 8:08 am

Almost six months to the day since I last posted. All the in between trips are done and now it is time to start concentrating on our Tasmanian trip. We will be at Seven Mile Beach for ten days, arriving Saturday, February 20 and leaving Tuesday, March 2. Lots of things we want to do and see but the only day we have set aside for sure is Saturday, February 27 for the market in Hobart.

On trips, because of time, we tend to filter out many caches, concentrating on regulars, earthcaches, and virtuals. Even then we filter out terrains greater than 4.0 and caches than haven't been found in the last 30 days. If we were to do that today it still gives us almost 200 caches within a 70 mile radius of Seven Mile Beach. Plenty to keep us busy.

Only 115 more wakes ups until we take off.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 27 October 09 9:31 am

geospyder wrote:On trips, because of time, we tend to filter out many caches, concentrating on regulars, earthcaches, and virtuals. Even then we filter out terrains greater than 4.0 and caches than haven't been found in the last 30 days. If we were to do that today it still gives us almost 200 caches within a 70 mile radius of Seven Mile Beach. Plenty to keep us busy.
When we were in Tassie at easter time this year we found that there were a lot of caches that we were the first visitor to in a month or two, and for a month or two after us there was no other visitors either, so you could still rule a lot of caches in because of this. :D

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 13 January 10 12:43 pm

More questions from a couple of geocaching tourists:

Which zoo, nature park, etc. would be recommended to see a Tasmanian Devil and a Platypus?

Is American Express widely accepted?

My wife is talking of driving up to Launceston - I said if we do I have to visit the James Boag's Preminum Brewery to compare it to the Cascade Brewery in Hobart :lol: Is it worth the trip?

Any special rules of the road that we should be aware of? OK OK I know I have to drive on the 'other' side of the road :)

Any special "do not miss" things that we should see or do on our visit?

I'm sure I'll have other questions as the time gets closer.

Swampy
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Swampy » 14 January 10 7:24 am

geospyder wrote:Which zoo, nature park, etc. would be recommended to see a Tasmanian Devil and a Platypus?
I don't know if you would see both in the same place (I'm waiting to be corrected here guys!) but you would see a Devil @ the Tasmanian Devil Park at Taranna (on the way to Port Arthur), Bonorong Park (Brighton), maybe Zoo Doo (Richmond). A platypus would be found at The Platypus House (I think thats what its called) at Beauty Point which is long way north of Launceston. They can sometimes be found in rivers in the wild. A check of my logs in GSAK produced 13 caches where platypii have been sighted. The majority are in the north and north-west of the state.
Is American Express widely accepted?
If it goes through an EFT terminal then yes - if it is an old manual imprint then maybe not. Asking first is always the best option, although VISA and MasterCard are widely accepted.
My wife is talking of driving up to Launceston - I said if we do I have to visit the James Boag's Preminum Brewery to compare it to the Cascade Brewery in Hobart :lol: Is it worth the trip?
Dunno, I don't drink. You would be looking at a leisurely 3 hour drive (tourist speed, coffee stop) to get to Launceston. You would be better off staying the night to take in the sights, try to catch a platypus/seahorse etc.
Any special rules of the road that we should be aware of? OK OK I know I have to drive on the 'other' side of the road :)

Watch the speed limits. We don't drive on the 'other' side of the road, we drive on the left side.
Any special "do not miss" things that we should see or do on our visit?
Take a visit to Eaglehawk Neck - do the caches around there, including the earthcache. They will take you to some excellent geological areas. Do some trig point caches (on this website!), as they will take you to some places with remarkable views.

Caches where platypii have been seen:
Caffeine, Tyenna Platypus, A Platypus Walk, Stag (Beetle) Party, A Hole For Ducks, Drive the Flume (GCA cache), The Lost Scrolls of the World (Singapore), LAURIE, The Humerous Cascade, Boing Boing, Howarth Wares, Cundle's Cache, Duck Filled II: Electric Boogaloo (GCA- disable), Terrific Forest, GARDEN #2, Let's Go Fishing #1, Upper Natone Reserve (GCA cache), the Guide has fallen, Plattacat Returns, O-F-R-PICNIC.

A small warning. Watch out for drop bears whilst caching in Australia. Google is your friend.... :shock:

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 14 January 10 8:42 am

Thanks for the reply. Think we'll go for the Tasmanian Devil Park at Taranna since we will be heading in that direction one day for sure. American Express is our first choice with Visa being second. They both have good paybacks. We charge everything we can and pay them off each month. You may drive on the left side of the road but we drive on the "right" side :D Sorry - couldn't resist. I'll definitely be watching my speed since I don't want any special souvenir pictures mailed to me.

We plan to spend at least one day exploring the Tasman Peninsula. The earthcache is on the list plus quite a few others in that area. As far as the Platypus, we'll go for Tyenna Platypus since we want to also visit the Mt. Field National Park.

We'll be taking a day trip up to Wineglass Bay area, caching along the way (I hope). BTW - I've already been "warned" about the drop bears :D

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 19 January 10 10:49 am

Four weeks from today we board the plane. \:D/

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 19 January 10 11:24 am

I've stayed at the Wyndham resort on a couple of occasions and you'll be very comfortable there. There is a cache almost right outside it, http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1045.

One thing you may not realise is that Geocaching Australia Caches are VERY popular in Tasmania. You'll want to DL a free pocket query of these, else you will miss a lot of the best sites around the state.

Cached

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 January 10 11:46 am

Cached wrote:I've stayed at the Wyndham resort on a couple of occasions and you'll be very comfortable there. There is a cache almost right outside it, http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1045.

One thing you may not realise is that Geocaching Australia Caches are VERY popular in Tasmania. You'll want to DL a free pocket query of these, else you will miss a lot of the best sites around the state.

Cached
http://geocaching.com.au/caches/gca/au/tas/
Download GCA Caches as: GPX ZIP

Choose the GPX file or ZIP file. It will load into GSAK with no issues, but if you're loading into a GPS device, you will need to run it through GSAK as GCA does not use the groundspeak namespaces and your Garmin unit may not recognise the standard format.

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 19 January 10 12:49 pm

Sounds as if it will be busy out there in February. We're staying there again on 12th & 13th along with Team Crackers, and visiting the Market on 13th.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » 19 January 10 2:53 pm

I wasn't aware that there was a separate set of caches for Australia. Whole new world out there. Now you're testing me to see if I want the caches for the scenery or for the numbers :oops:

Is there a way to merge the GCA finds with my GC finds so my GC stats reflect my actual finds?

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 19 January 10 2:57 pm

Looks like you might need to pack an extra jacket according to this