Trimble Geocache Navigator - Now free for Nokia phones

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 27 April 08 12:38 am

Damo. wrote:
zactyl wrote: Assuming the menu system is the same as the N95, try under
Tools | Settings | General | Positioning (Bottom of the list, probably have to scroll down to find it. Positioning Methods and tick Assisted GPS.
Yep. That's the one. Doesn't seem to give any kind of indication to me that it is enabled but makes a major difference.
Couldn't find the menu you were talking about. Is it in the actual Navigator software? :oops:

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 27 April 08 12:56 am

No. Just in the Nokia menu screen.
On the 6110 it's actually Settings> Phone sett.> General> Positioning> Positioning methods.
Select "Integrated GPS with a..."

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by delboy1203 » 27 April 08 1:17 am

Damo. wrote:No. Just in the Nokia menu screen.
On the 6110 it's actually Settings> Phone sett.> General> Positioning> Positioning methods.
Mine was actually already active. Did you need to change the internet settings at all?

Varuna
2350 or more caches found

Post by Varuna » 27 April 08 4:42 am

Damo. wrote:No. Just in the Nokia menu screen.
<p>On mine (6110) it indicated as follows: Settings>Show My ID; Find Filtering; Units; Location Format; Change Pin; About; Terms of Use; Geocaching Etiquette. After Settings, I couldn't find Phone Settings> General> etc. Where I have gone wrongly or missed out? :shock:

CanSolo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CanSolo » 27 April 08 9:46 am

The settings in question are the phone settings, not to do with the caching software.
Bring up the menu by pressing the centre button, and follow the instructions from there

Varuna

Post by Varuna » 27 April 08 1:43 pm

Oops. I didn't read "...Just in the Nokia menu screen." :oops: <p>Got it. Thanks to CanSolo for point it out. :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 30 April 08 12:25 am

I've had a 6210 for months, and today the boss handed me a bag with a new 6110 inside because he figures we might need GPS for work (we have to take coords occasionally for licences). What shame :evil:

Been playing with the inbuilt nav stuff and it doesn't seem bad, similar to the TomTom but it looks like I can set the phone to pedestrian mode (so it won't be locked to roads). So to set this up as a caching machine what do I need?

Read but ignored stuff about Trimble etc before because it didn't apply to me. Do I need to drop a micro SD card into it to do it to get more memory (have a spare one here anyway) and get decent maps as well as some sort of equivalent of GSAK on the thing.

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by delboy1203 » 30 April 08 12:28 pm

richary wrote:I've had a 6210 for months, and today the boss handed me a bag with a new 6110 inside because he figures we might need GPS for work (we have to take coords occasionally for licences). What shame :evil:

Been playing with the inbuilt nav stuff and it doesn't seem bad, similar to the TomTom but it looks like I can set the phone to pedestrian mode (so it won't be locked to roads). So to set this up as a caching machine what do I need?

Read but ignored stuff about Trimble etc before because it didn't apply to me. Do I need to drop a micro SD card into it to do it to get more memory (have a spare one here anyway) and get decent maps as well as some sort of equivalent of GSAK on the thing.
Haven't tried it yet, but there is a macro available for GSAK to download waypoints to the Nokia. http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtop ... st&p=38393

I use Trimble and it works great! Let me know if you try the macro.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 30 April 08 4:45 pm

Got my hands on a N95 8GB from Nokia to review. Loaded up Geocaching Navigator and have been impressed so far. I'll put together a review in the near future.

Richary

Post by Richary » 30 April 08 9:16 pm

Have just loaded it up (though the instructions aren't that clear) and got it all working without having to create an account on the Geocache Navigator site that they talk about. Quick find quickly brought up the 5 caches closest to home but not including the one I placed recently. Useful information, even though I usually have the GPS in the car it only covers about a 30km radius from home and work sometimes sends me further than that.

So rather than stuff around with the laptop and manually keying in coords on the road (if the work laptop data is up to date anyway) then I can quickly check for recent logs that may indicate a problem and so on. Certainly a big bonus value to my premium membership of GC.

Now to try finding a cache with it and see how good the 6110 is at locations in reality.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 01 May 08 1:01 am

richary wrote:Certainly a big bonus value to my premium membership of GC.
It doesn't require Premium Membership to work. What added value have you noticed?

Richary

Post by Richary » 01 May 08 8:26 am

Oh OK. Thought it might have to let me get to that screen to register the phone. Oh well, it's another service that is provided in return for my money.

Just wish it would use the built in map instead of insisting on downloading one off the net. Not that I pay for the data charges anyway. Would be quicker if nothing else.

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by delboy1203 » 01 May 08 9:45 am

zactyl wrote:Remember it uses data, so find out what you're going to be paying first and keep an eye on your Log.
Got my phone bill yesterday... managed to use 10Mb of data last month. Looks like I'll have to increase my data plan!

:shock:

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 01 May 08 1:37 pm

Are there any other N95 users? I'm finding the GPS takes an extrodinary amount of time (5-10 minutes) to get a satellite lock.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 01 May 08 2:34 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:Are there any other N95 users? I'm finding the GPS takes an extrodinary amount of time (5-10 minutes) to get a satellite lock.
I have the N95. Unless you have Assisted-GPS active (which you might as well turn on if you have a data plan and are using Trimble Geocache Navigator!) you can pretty much forget about using the built in on the N95. With A-GPS it's great, without it takes way too long to be anything other than a frustration.