Trimble Geocache Navigator - Now free for Nokia phones

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 09 February 09 9:23 am

Boagsratz wrote:Thanks, may have been a glitch, I just tried it again and it is functioning ...go figure, It seems like a great application! Now I need to talk sweetly to my telco.
<p>
I hope your Telco isn't Telstra! :wink: Best deals are with 3, but then their 3G coverage is almost non existant.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 10 February 09 12:16 am

delboy1203 wrote:Best deals are with 3, but then their 3G coverage is almost non existant.
<p>I saw today 3 are going to merge with Voadfone.

o'cholio

Post by o'cholio » 17 February 09 10:10 am

When we first started caching all we used was the N95 with trimble being used. I don't know how much data I use, as part of my plan with Crazy Johns that is included in my $310 I get under my plan.

Sometimes when you can't get reception you just have to enter the co-ords in manually (unfortunately not paperless caching), but we still found quite a few before taking the step and buying a bigger and better GPSr.

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 18 June 09 9:46 pm

I have a problem with mine that hopefully someone can help me with...
it does all the right things, except when it goes to "finding your location" it gets no further.

I know that the GPS is working, because it does on the nokia map application, however it does not seem to want to talk to the Trimble.

I have uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, but it still does not work...any smart cookies have any ideas for me?

Cheers Boagsrat

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 18 June 09 9:57 pm

Boagsratz wrote:I have a problem with mine that hopefully someone can help me with...
it does all the right things, except when it goes to "finding your location" it gets no further.
I know that the GPS is working, because it does on the nokia map application, however it does not seem to want to talk to the Trimble.
I have uninstalled it, and reinstalled it, but it still does not work...any smart cookies have any ideas for me?
Cheers Boagsrat
<p>
It has been a long time since I used the program on the N95 however from memory it had something to do with the settings on where it was accessing the geocache program from. under the settings turn off bluetooth or wifi. It had something to do with where it was trying to access the data and mine was hanging due to it trying to find satellites from bluetooth.
I am sure someone will have further info.

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 18 June 09 11:12 pm

hmmm yes, while initialising, it asks; do you wish to allow bluetooth to access info, which I generally say 'no' to, as the there are no bluetooth devices around.
It also asks 'do I want to allow the net to be accessed?' yes, and use telstra MMA, and do i wish to allow satellite reception to use the data? (of course!).

I figure that that should work, but unfortunately it does not.

Thanks Coffee Clan

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 18 June 09 11:17 pm

Boagsratz wrote:hmmm yes, while initialising, it asks; do you wish to allow bluetooth to access info, which I generally say 'no' to, as the there are no bluetooth devices around.
It also asks 'do I want to allow the net to be accessed?' yes, and use telstra MMA, and do i wish to allow satellite reception to use the data? (of course!).

Thanks Coffee Clan
<p>
I think it is the bluetooth from memory. turn off bluetooth and select telstra internet, not MMA. try that

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 19 June 09 12:22 am

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:
Boagsratz wrote:hmmm yes, while initialising, it asks; do you wish to allow bluetooth to access info, which I generally say 'no' to, as the there are no bluetooth devices around.

Thanks Coffee Clan
<p>
I think it is the bluetooth from memory. turn off bluetooth and select telstra internet, not MMA. try that
Oooops, that is what i have been doing, no joy.

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 19 June 09 1:54 am

I have no trouble with Geocache Navigator on my N95 with Telstra Internet.

When I start the app, it asks me for the access point I want to use. I can select Telstra Internet or a WAN and both work fine. Do you not get this choice?

Also, I assume your app was linked to your GC account? Is there a sensible ID in the settings/ShowYourId screen?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 19 June 09 12:55 pm

I just had a look at the software and with the options available I don't think the problem is with it.
Which phone are you using? Possibly it is not sharing the GPSr signal with other software?

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 19 June 09 1:52 pm

Damo. wrote:I just had a look at the software and with the options available I don't think the problem is with it.
Which phone are you using? Possibly it is not sharing the GPSr signal with other software?

Its a nokia N95 and I feel that you have hit the nail on the head with the non-sharing signal thing...that is why I tried reinstalling it in case a driver or something had dropped off...

The GPS does work in map mode...I shall take it outside and give it another crack now... Cheers

pipes_down_under
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by pipes_down_under » 19 June 09 2:29 pm

I have the occasional problem with my N6220 (built in GPS) that seems to take forever to find 'your location'.
Invariably I start the Nokia Maps program at the same time (yes it does share the program at the same time) and seems to get a better and faster lock. I then switch off Nokia Maps and leave the Trimble program running. It has no problem then.
In this instance, I think it may have something to do with the A-GPS (Assisted GPS).
My 2c worth.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 19 June 09 2:40 pm

Boagsratz wrote:
Damo. wrote:I just had a look at the software and with the options available I don't think the problem is with it.

Its a nokia N95 and I feel that you have hit the nail on the head with the non-sharing signal thing...that is why I tried reinstalling it in case a driver or something had dropped off...

The GPS does work in map mode...I shall take it outside and give it another crack now... Cheers
Try running the map software and after it gets a lock, minimise it leaving it running and run Geocache Navigator and see if that makes any difference to picking up the GPS data.
If that doesn't work, there are a few free port splitter programs that might fix the problem but I don't know why Coffee and Cache doesn't have the same problem unless it's a different firmware version of the N95.

Boagsratz
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Boagsratz » 19 June 09 4:36 pm

<Try running the map software and after it gets a lock, minimise it leaving it running and run Geocache Navigator and see if that makes any difference to picking up the GPS data.
If that doesn't work, there are a few free port splitter programs that might fix the problem but I don't know why Coffee and Cache doesn't have the same problem unless it's a different firmware version of the N95.>

Nope, the GPS works, and it still would not connect.... hmmm I have no idea how to activate port splitting software, but if anyone is able to supply any further info, I would be willing to give it a crack.... Cheers

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 20 June 09 12:20 pm

Boagsratz wrote:Nope, the GPS works, and it still would not connect.... hmmm I have no idea how to activate port splitting software, but if anyone is able to supply any further info, I would be willing to give it a crack.... Cheers
As Damo mentioned, we have this working just fine and we certainly don't have anyy port splitting software. Whilst it's possible it could solve the problem, it certainly isn't necessary. Our N95 is actually a N958GB, but I doubt that is relevant either. There is such a plethora of settings, there is probably something wrong somewhere in the config. Not much help I know!