Trimble Geocache Navigator - Now free for Nokia phones

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Trimble on Optus

Post by delboy1203 » 12 March 08 8:46 am

Thanks CanClan. Works a treat now!

CanSolo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CanSolo » 12 March 08 6:25 pm

Don't know about you, but with this kind of app on the phone, it gives you the chance to be out, sans GPSr, and still be able to cache on the spur of the moment anywhere. IE I only ever load vic caches, but could easily head to NSW, QLD and be able to cache without a great deal of difficulty...

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by delboy1203 » 13 March 08 7:05 pm

I work as a sales manager and drive all over Melbourne. Whenever I finish a meeting, out comes the phone to check if there are any local caches. <p>

Found 3 in the last 2 days... 8)

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 12 April 08 6:45 pm

Found 4 out of 5 cbd micros with it today. Worked quite well. :) And no one gives a second look at someone peering at their mobile phone....

Varuna
2350 or more caches found

Post by Varuna » 12 April 08 8:49 pm

I find by using Naviagtor is excellent tool and very useful when your GPSr is at home and at the spur moment you feel like go for caching and fire up for any nearest caches you are in the area. Consider it rate: 9/10.<p>
CanClan wrote:Delboy, when it asks to select your connection, select INTERNET, i had the same problem until I chose that one. I am also with optus too
<P> Does above refer to below that you had a problem?<p>"Link your Geocache Navigator Application<p>
With Trimble's Geocache Navigator, a mobile phone application for GPS-enabled phones, you can log your finds on your phone and return here to log them as Field Notes online. It's an easy way to keep a record of your cache finds out in the field. For more information on the application visit the Geocache Navigator web site.<p>

In order to link Geocache Navigator to your account, you need to enter in your phone's ID from the application, then enter the PIN you created for your logs on the phone. Once finished you will be able to retrieve all of your outstanding Field Notes.<p>

Phone Identifier:<br>
Phone PIN:<p>Return to Field Notes"
<p>Can anyone direct me as to how do I do? (I am not with Telstra, Optus, nor Vodafone except '3') - would be greatly appreciated.<p>

Thanks.

Varuna

Post by Varuna » 12 April 08 8:54 pm

Further to the above<p> It doesn't work after I entered "INTERNET" in Phone Identifier box - nor other ways...how do I do?<p>Thanks.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 12 April 08 10:33 pm

Varuna wrote:Further to the above<p> It doesn't work after I entered "INTERNET" in Phone Identifier box - nor other ways...how do I do?<p>Thanks.
Run the navigator software on your phone. Select "Settings" > Show my ID
Enter the code supplied as your phone identifier.

Varuna

Post by Varuna » 12 April 08 10:59 pm

Bongo! Great!! Got it ok now. Thanks to Damo for prompt response and hint. I am happy now.:D

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 12 April 08 11:40 pm

Glad to hear it. The 4 caches I found today I had marked as "found" with the software. It was very easy to import on gc.com and add the log text. Quite impressed with it.

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by delboy1203 » 13 April 08 9:53 pm

[quote]Found 4 out of 5 cbd micros with it today. Worked quite well. icon_smile.gif And no one gives a second look at someone peering at their mobile phone....[/quote]

Battled a little in the CBD last week while caching around the Flagstaff area in Melbourne. GPS would get me close to the GCZ then the next minute it would show me 100m away. :?

Will try again this week if the weather holds... :D

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 23 April 08 9:38 pm

delboy1203 wrote: Battled a little in the CBD last week while caching around the Flagstaff area in Melbourne. GPS would get me close to the GCZ then the next minute it would show me 100m away. :?

I found with assisted-GPS enabled it was far better at determining my location than my dedicated GPSr. Maybe check if it is enabled. Gives a much quicker lock from start-up too.

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 24 April 08 12:30 am

Damo. wrote:
delboy1203 wrote: Battled a little in the CBD last week while caching around the Flagstaff area in Melbourne. GPS would get me close to the GCZ then the next minute it would show me 100m away. :?

I found with assisted-GPS enabled it was far better at determining my location than my dedicated GPSr. Maybe check if it is enabled. Gives a much quicker lock from start-up too.
In the city, agreed!

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by delboy1203 » 24 April 08 12:37 pm

[quote="Damo."][quote="delboy1203"]
Battled a little in the CBD last week while caching around the Flagstaff area in Melbourne. GPS would get me close to the GCZ then the next minute it would show me 100m away. :?
<p>
Will try again this week if the weather holds... :D[/quote]
</p><p>
I found with assisted-GPS enabled it was far better at determining my location than my dedicated GPSr. Maybe check if it is enabled. Gives a much quicker lock from start-up too.[/quote]
</p><p>
Where do you enable this on the Nokia 6110?
</p>

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 24 April 08 12:53 pm

delboy1203 wrote:[Assisted-GPS] Where do you enable this on the Nokia 6110?
Assuming the menu system is the same as the N95, try under
Tools | Settings | General | Positioning (Bottom of the list, probably have to scroll down to find it. Positioning Methods and tick Assisted GPS. Remember it uses data, so find out what you're going to be paying first and keep an eye on your Log. Oh wait, you're on a 5GB plan, never mind ;)

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 24 April 08 8:37 pm

zactyl wrote: Assuming the menu system is the same as the N95, try under
Tools | Settings | General | Positioning (Bottom of the list, probably have to scroll down to find it. Positioning Methods and tick Assisted GPS.
Yep. That's the one. Doesn't seem to give any kind of indication to me that it is enabled but makes a major difference.