Should I "borrow" the wife's new phone?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Should I "borrow" the wife's new phone?

Post by calumphing_four » 24 January 08 10:35 pm

My wife has bought a new Nokia 6110 with an inbuilt GPSr and Route 66.
I'm more than happy caching with my eTrex Legend, but should I also grab the wife's phone (not that I've had a chance to play with it :( ) and load caches and I guess notes too?
I'm assuming caches would just load as POIs on it. Not sure whether there is an arrow to follow - but know it does display current lat/long position.
Will have to work out too how to load notes.
Thanks in Advance.

chewinprickles
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by chewinprickles » 25 January 08 1:08 pm

Just go for it I say.
My wife has a laptop which I haven't been allowed to touch. Not even clance in it's general direction in case I pinched it for caching :roll: . I was debating the possibilties of keyboards for the PDA so I could do some logs on the run when she said "why don't you use the laptop. Figger that out. I must have been good somewhere along the way. :wink: :D

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 25 January 08 7:57 pm

I've got the 6120 which also talks about GPS. However the manual states it requires an external GPS receiver with Bluetooth. I've never been able to make it communicate with the TomTom though for some reason, not sure what I am doing wrong.

CanSolo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CanSolo » 25 January 08 9:40 pm

Whilst I don't have this phone, you may want to make sure to turn on proper GPS signal reception. As it will be using triangulation between the closest mobile phone towers to give you a location, rather than the GPS system

Damo.

Re: Should I "borrow" the wife's new phone?

Post by Damo. » 26 January 08 12:52 am

calumphing_four wrote:My wife has bought a new Nokia 6110 with an inbuilt GPSr and Route 66.
I'm more than happy caching with my eTrex Legend, but should I also grab the wife's phone (not that I've had a chance to play with it :( ) and load caches and I guess notes too?
I'm assuming caches would just load as POIs on it. Not sure whether there is an arrow to follow - but know it does display current lat/long position.
Will have to work out too how to load notes.
Thanks in Advance.
Give it a shot and if you find it helpful for caching let us know how you did it! LOL
You can load caches as POI although I haven't been able to work out how to search for the closest one once they are loaded. You can search for nearest POI in the preloaded ones (Petrol, Food, ATM etc) but not in the POIs you load yourself...
If you know the name of the poi it will take you to it and tell you that you have "arrived" once you get to less that 10m.
Displays current lat/long in decimal degress only. It does talk to google maps quite happily and displays your location so obviously third party apps can make use of the internal gps.

If there is a geocaching program which will run on a nokia and intergrate with the gps I would be interested to hear about it.

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 29 January 08 10:45 am

i just bought the 6110 aswell and it arrives THursday. First thing i will be doing is setting it up for caching :wink:
<br>
There are a few freeware apps around for GPS phones but until i find something that works ill keep quiet.
<br>
Wish me luck :lol:

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 29 January 08 4:31 pm

sc00t wrote:i just bought the 6110 aswell and it arrives THursday. First thing i will be doing is setting it up for caching :wink:
<br>
There are a few freeware apps around for GPS phones but until i find something that works ill keep quiet.
<br>
Wish me luck :lol:
Good Luck :D

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 30 January 08 3:28 pm

Mr Router wrote:Good Luck :D
<p>
Thanks!!!

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 31 January 08 3:45 pm

I can use my Nokia N95 for geocaching. I browse to mobile.geocaching.com.au and find the cache I'm after, then punch the coordinates into my etrex. :roll:

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 02 February 08 6:26 pm

doesnt the N95 have an inbuilt GPS???
<p>
No luck uploading waypoints/landmarks to the 6110. Ive got the LMX file but cant add it to the landmarks.
<p>If anyone knows how to do this please let me know!!!!!

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 02 February 08 9:11 pm

sc00t wrote:doesnt the N95 have an inbuilt GPS???
<p>
Yes it does. Much the same as the 6110 navigator (although not as sensitive apparently due to the anntenna being located under the keypad)

zactyl's comment was referring to the inability to enter waypoints in the datum provided on the cache pages.
sc00t wrote:
No luck uploading waypoints/landmarks to the 6110. Ive got the LMX file but cant add it to the landmarks.
<p>If anyone knows how to do this please let me know!!!!!
From memory you need to copy the LMX file to the phone and then locate the file on the phone's file browser and copy into your landmarks.

sc00t
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by sc00t » 02 February 08 9:34 pm

Damo. wrote:From memory you need to copy the LMX file to the phone and then locate the file on the phone's file browser and copy into your landmarks.
<p>
I don't think you can navigate to the file on the phone, from the phone. Using the software you can get to the landmarks folder...damn Nokia.
<p>
Any other ideas?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 02 February 08 11:38 pm

Copy the file to the phones internal memory or memory card. Then on the phone go menu > settings > data mgr. > file mgr.
Select documents or wherever you put the file, select it and save all landmarks.
At least I think that was the method I used!
You can create or edit categories. I made a caches and a speed cameras category and was able to save to it ok. The speed cameras works well when I am navigating with a proximity alert.

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 03 February 08 2:26 am

zactyl wrote:I can use my Nokia N95 for geocaching. I browse to mobile.geocaching.com.au and find the cache I'm after, then punch the coordinates into my etrex. :roll:
I have a N95 on order to arrive om Tuesday, keen t give it a run...

ideology

Post by ideology » 03 February 08 7:54 am

if there's anything we can do on mobile.geocaching.com.au to make it easier to navigate with these phones, please let us know. for example if it has it's own micro-format for receiving lat/lons, it's relatively easy to set one of those up