Having trouble acquiring satellites

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Doobie doo3
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Having trouble acquiring satellites

Post by Doobie doo3 » 08 January 08 9:24 am

My Garmin GPSMAP 60cs has lately been taking a very long time to acquire satellites (very annoying for caching) Ive tried it in a few different places as well
Just wondering if its just me or has others been having that problem too

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 08 January 08 7:53 pm

Magellan has arranged a preferential deal with the US Government so that Garmins are provided with a signal only after available Magellans have achieved a position lock.
:twisted:

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 08 January 08 9:15 pm

Damo. wrote:Magellan has arranged a preferential deal with the US Government so that Garmins are provided with a signal only after available Magellans have achieved a position lock.
:twisted:
Magellan had to get an advantage somehow :wink:

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 08 January 08 9:19 pm

Ignore Damo, He's jealous.

The antenna on the top of the 60 series can sometimes get a bad connection, especially if you bend it around a bit. Try pushing it straight down onto the top of the GPSr

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 08 January 08 9:27 pm

riblit wrote:Ignore Damo, He's jealous.

The antenna on the top of the 60 series can sometimes get a bad connection, especially if you bend it around a bit. Try pushing it straight down onto the top of the GPSr
And where did we learn that little trick Riblit.....

My GPS60C was having major issues on the weekend, and after I pushed down on the antenna it was holding lock.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Off the planet

Post by If » 10 January 08 5:09 pm

If you continue to have trouble acquiring satellites, may I suggest this link http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/bss/ :D
You'd better have a big cheque book though :lol:

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 11 January 08 1:02 pm

If you havn't turned the GPSr on for a few days, or have moved a considerable distance with the GPSr off it can have issues finding a lock as it is looking for the last known constellation.

In this case go to the menu and select new location and choose automatic. The GPSr will then look for any satellites and get a lock on them quite quickly.

Another thing that can slow down getting a lock is if you are moving. Mine gets a lock much faster if I am stationary than if I am driving down the road at 60 Km/h

And finally obstructions can prevent a lock. It works fine in some rooms of my house, but not at all in others

Combine the three and when you turn on in an aircraft after the seat belt light goes out you will have a lot of trouble getting a lock, but a new location while holding the GPSr next to the window will have you up and running in a couple of minutes.