Garmin Colorado New GPS

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 05 May 08 8:01 pm

Just worked it out.

GC18Z4N,2008-05-03T01:40Z,Found it,""

It must have the GC code not a smart name generated by GSAK.

2dudez
1100 or more caches found

Post by 2dudez » 05 May 08 8:18 pm

embi wrote:So far I dont see a need for buying maps. I have been using Garmin for awhile and these maps seem as good as any.
I have just uploaded the tracks4australia maps for all of AU. so I'll test them out.
Awesome,
That's one trap I fell for when I got my Explorist XL, the money I saved by getting it from overseas on ebay, I ended up spending on Detailed australian maps.
Looks like I won't have to worry with the colorado.
Thanks embi

Mr Emu

Post by Mr Emu » 05 May 08 8:28 pm

2dudez wrote:thanks for the tracks4australia link embi.
This may sound like a stupid question, but as a magellan user making the switch , it got me wondering.
With a combination of tracks4australia and shonkymaps, is there any need to actually buy any detailed maps.
I already have Garmin City navigator on the laptop, so I'm hoping this is usable as well
I've got a Garmin 60CSx, with City Navigator v7 (2006), as well as Shonkymaps.

The main reason for buying City Navigator was to get autorouting when we went on holidays to Canberra and Sydney last year. Shonky and T4A don't do this as far as I know. It is great to put in your home address and destination and have both a route and constantly-updated ETA (expected time of arrival) available! It was pretty close too - 30 minutes out over 7 hours.

The downside is that the Colorado requires City Navigator NT, a slightly different version that is not compatible with the 60CSx (and vice-versa), so it means paying for the whole shebang again! This is one of the reasons I'm holding off - until the budget will cover the lot :evil:

Re: the Wherigo cache, let me know if you're going to attempt it soon, there is at least one minor change I need to make to make it work "properly" on the Colorado (thanks embi for the feedback).

embi

Post by embi » 05 May 08 8:48 pm

These field notes are going to make life soooo much easier.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 05 May 08 8:51 pm

Jardry wrote:
Mr Router wrote:Must question Stilllookin as to his favor about Shonky ! Another thing the 300's are tough ! Adrian hit a roo on the motorbike with 300 attached and it survived! Forgot about that the other day :oops:
Sorry, but I have to ask, what "it" survived?

The 300 or the Roo???
The Garmin was attached to the bike and it looks rough !!! Garmin fine !! bike hit Roo !! what other question ??

2dudez

Post by 2dudez » 05 May 08 9:47 pm

Mr Emu wrote: The downside is that the Colorado requires City Navigator NT, a slightly different version that is not compatible with the 60CSx (and vice-versa), so it means paying for the whole shebang again! This is one of the reasons I'm holding off - until the budget will cover the lot :evil:

Re: the Wherigo cache, let me know if you're going to attempt it soon, there is at least one minor change I need to make to make it work "properly" on the Colorado (thanks embi for the feedback).
I'll have to check if i've got the NT version.... have a feeling it isn't. If not will just use T4A and Shonky.

Once my colorado arrives, I'll plan my next trip to geelong then.
Very happy to be a guinea pig with your minor change (already know where the cache is from the emulator, but look forward to giving it a proper go).

Also keen to try field notes as well. Might come in handy on a big cache raid.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 07 May 08 10:38 am

Mr Emu wrote:
2dudez wrote:The downside is that the Colorado requires City Navigator NT, a slightly different version that is not compatible with the 60CSx (and vice-versa), so it means paying for the whole shebang again! This is one of the reasons I'm holding off - until the budget will cover the lot :evil:
As far as I am aware this statement is incorrect - I have loaded Aus City Navigator 2008 onto 60Csx, Colorado 300 and 276C...or do you mean are some functions disabled?

Cheers
Greg

Mr Emu

Post by Mr Emu » 07 May 08 2:38 pm

The Explorer wrote:
Mr Emu wrote:
2dudez wrote:The downside is that the Colorado requires City Navigator NT, a slightly different version that is not compatible with the 60CSx (and vice-versa), so it means paying for the whole shebang again! This is one of the reasons I'm holding off - until the budget will cover the lot :evil:
As far as I am aware this statement is incorrect - I have loaded Aus City Navigator 2008 onto 60Csx, Colorado 300 and 276C...or do you mean are some functions disabled?

Cheers
Greg
:oops: My unreserved apologies to all. :oops: I had read "somewhere" that the Colorado used the NT-version maps, and knew I didn't have them with my 60CSX for some good reason*. I've now done some proper research:

If you look at the "Garmin recommends" box on the right of the Garmin site for NT-version maps http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapS ... vAUSnt.jsp, this product will work with both 60CSx and Colorado.

In comparison, the "Garmin recommends" box on the right of the Garmin site for non-NT-version maps http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapS ... navAUS.jsp, doesn't mention these two products - but obviously they do work. As stated previously, I have a 60CSx and City Navigator 7 (non-NT) myself.

*So why I didn't buy the NT version in the first place? After some thought, I remember that Johnny Appleseed http://www.ja-gps.com.au/maps_citynavigaust.html didn't have the CD version in stock on the day I visited, and I was desperate to have the maps for my holiday the following day. The usual poor impulse control on my part :wink:.

On the upside, that Colorado 300 maynow be closer to my budget than previously expected :).

Thanks for the correction Greg.

2dudez

Post by 2dudez » 13 May 08 1:19 am

My 300 arrived today. Not too bad only a week from the US and 3 1/2 days of that was in customs at this end.
Have loaded new firmware on, and in the process of loading my maps on now.
Looking forward to trying out on Mr Emu's Wherigo cache now, might take a trip down to Geelong in a couple of weeks or if I get a weekday off in between.
So far really impressed with the Colorado, seems to pick up the satellites quicker and is more accurate than my Explorist does.
I'm not sure if there is a setting or not, but can you change the default brightness?
When it turns on, it is down to the bottom couple of bars of brightness and you can hardly see anything. I bump it up to full, but when I shut down and restart, it is back at the really dull setting again.

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 13 May 08 8:29 am

That is a big problem with the Colorado , The screen is no where near the same quailty as the 60csx
and the battery doesn't seem to last long either

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 15 May 08 10:56 pm

2dudez wrote:I'm not sure if there is a setting or not, but can you change the default brightness?
When it turns on, it is down to the bottom couple of bars of brightness and you can hardly see anything. I bump it up to full, but when I shut down and restart, it is back at the really dull setting again.
No - cant be fixed.(at this stage - mayeb a firmware upgrade later will address issue). It has to be cranked up every time you turn unit on - a real pain
Greg

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 16 May 08 6:33 am

It should be set and forget !

emeryco

Post by emeryco » 17 May 08 2:36 pm

I see that QOME in Qld now have them in stock for $695 which is probably not a bad price for aussie if you want support etc rather than doing a direct import.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 24 May 08 2:49 am

emeryco wrote:I see that QOME in Qld now have them in stock for $695 which is probably not a bad price for aussie if you want support etc rather than doing a direct import.
You will get better support from users on a forum such as this than from any one dealer - and all for free. $695 isnt bad though. If you are paranoid about warranty get local unit otherwise get the cheapest you can find taking into consideration all factors. Just my opinion.

Cheers
Greg

BundyB
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by BundyB » 24 May 08 10:55 am

The Explorer wrote:You will get better support from users on a forum such as this than from any one dealer - and all for free.
Except for the "Hey, I could have sworn this screen worked yesterday" sort of support ...