Garmin, Geocaching and the Mac

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Garmin, Geocaching and the Mac

Post by luckdogscrew » 02 January 08 2:50 pm

We recently made the big switch, after years on windows we changed to a mac, (You know the one that just works, except the 3 times in 1 month that its crashed on me Argh!!!).

We have switched over everthing we do to Mac software and we were about to say goodbye to windows when we struck one problem, Our Garmin software is Windows only, and there is nothing as good as GSAK for MAC. So today we use parallels and run windows in a window just for Geocaching.

Does anybody have software or alternatives for GSAK for MAc? We tried Mac Caching which is good, but you can't choose the symbols for caches which is frustrating, they all end up the same symbol, multi, puzzle and normal.

Does anybody have a way of loading Maps to a Garmin Vista HCX for Mac?

Luck Dogs Crew

rediguana
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by rediguana » 02 January 08 4:01 pm

As a Mac user I too have just started using VMWare to run Windows in a Window for those few apps I just can't find decent ones for a Mac. I'm not aware of any Mac native software for loading img files sorry.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 02 January 08 6:15 pm

I moved from the Dark Side in September and have tried MacCaching and GeoJournal but neither of them come close to GSAK

I'm running Windoze XP in Parallels for GSAK, Ozi and Mapsource for the Vista Hcx Santa brought me 8)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 02 January 08 6:31 pm

rhinogeo wrote:I moved from the Dark Side in September and have tried MacCaching and GeoJournal but neither of them come close to GSAK

I'm running Windoze XP in Parallels for GSAK, Ozi and Mapsource for the Vista Hcx Santa brought me 8)
Isnt it mad most hate Bill :shock: but funny we cannot do without him :oops:

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 02 January 08 9:57 pm

Mr Router wrote:Isnt it mad most hate Bill :shock: but funny we cannot do without him :oops:
:idea: Pageing Craigrat and cacheblitzer..... :idea:

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 02 January 08 10:00 pm

Hate is such a negative word...you probably haven't even met the guy. :roll: :lol:

mm

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 02 January 08 10:12 pm

Geof wrote::idea: Pageing Craigrat and cacheblitzer..... :idea:
The whole not-really-geocaching-anymore thing has sort of slowed the progress a little bit......

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 03 January 08 6:06 am

Map Monkey wrote:...you probably haven't even met the guy. :roll: :lol:

mm
Have you :?: :?: I quiet like windows, except IE.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 03 January 08 7:09 am

I admit that I'm still trying to wean myself off GSAK. Not because I don't like it - I love it - but I'm trying to go Mac only.

Let's remember GSAK, and its predecessors, have been around for a few years. MacCaching is less than a year old. Time, money and support will hopefully see it become a better program.

Still waiting on Garmin to release its Mac software. It has put out the POI software, but we're still waiting.

Luckydogscrew - if your Mac continues to crash and you're still under warranty, harass them to fix it.

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 03 January 08 5:11 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:
Luckydogscrew - if your Mac continues to crash and you're still under warranty, harass them to fix it.
I agree. Not intending to sound anti-Bill and pro-Mac but macs don't tend to crash on a regular basis. Have been using mine for well over 12 months and have only had to do a 'hard reset' 2 or 3 times.<p> It may be an unwell mac for other reasons. <p>Then I guess it would come down to what you were using/doing at the time.

luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by luckdogscrew » 04 January 08 8:16 am

The mac has crashed all three times with Leopard problems, Its a new operating system so you have to expect a few, hence the 3 updates they have already issued.

We also push a computer to the max. as the better half of luck dogs crew says if you used it like everybody else it would not crash!

We did a full hardware check, and diagnosed the traceback. The first 2 times were related to the automatic screen switching function and the third was related to the 3 external drives.

Luck Dogs Crew

PS. I used to crash our windows computer about 1-2 times a week, so the mac is a big improvement

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 04 January 08 3:52 pm

How do you crash so much ???? Since 1999 I have had one blue screen of death and that was on a windows 98se machine :shock:

luckdogscrew
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by luckdogscrew » 04 January 08 4:47 pm

Its easy you fun video and photo processing software that pushes the memory and processing bounds of the computer. while compiling in the background, and switching windows all the time (I get bored quickly), with 3 external drives two that are shadowing the other external and the internal.

The "If you used it like normal people" comment is very relevant for me.