CacheMonkey no longer works?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 26 April 03 12:07 am

Or a few sandwiches short of a picnic... :lol:

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 27 April 03 6:22 pm

Winzip announced the file was 3 bytes short. It was a statement of fact, not a euphamism. The main question is when will a new zip file be available.

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 27 April 03 11:15 pm

Paid for or not, I need food. The same applies to Cachemonkey.

Team Piggy

Food, Mmm Truffles.

Post by Team Piggy » 28 April 03 9:15 am

I prefer Trufflemuncher, Team Piggy's Top secret Cache grabbing program. :?

Cachemonkey was blasted onto the scene with much Hype, I can understand people having a bit of a natter when it doesn't work.
This is what can happen with a publicised program when it fails to perform it's requires task.
People want it to work, Paid for or not.
I understand it from the creators point of view. He has probably developed a great program that may turn into a monster and bite into spare time with bugs that may develop.
I personally don't use it, so can't comment on the faults (if there is any).

CacheMonkey

CacheMonkey 1.5a

Post by CacheMonkey » 28 April 03 10:55 am

The new file is available now, I just fixed the problem with the filesize, no other changes. The problem was that my new FTP program decided that ZIP files were text files and trasferred them in ASCII mode. Wierd.

Anyway, just so everyone knows and doesnt have to panic everytime cachemonkey stops working, i plan to at the very least support it so that it maintains its current level of functionality, within reason. A complete rewrite of geocaching.com means a virtual rewrite of cachemonkey.

As said above it is free, and something i just whipped up for my own use and thought others might find useful, so i released it. Thats why it will always stay free, while it is useful it is after all a slapped together piece of software with a total reliance on the formats and layout of the pages at geocaching.com which I have no control over. Cachemonkey will stop working for almost any minor change to the pages content or layout.

As for the fixes in this release, as i have said before i just guessed at the way the new numbering system will work for cache codes and if it turns out to be incorrect another patched release will be needed soon.

I ussually only get the chance to look after cachemonkey in normal business hours, so that is the most likely time new releases will happen if they are needed.

Enjoy.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Thanks

Post by leek » 28 April 03 11:37 am

Thanks muchly Brad... I for one find cachemonkey very useful and I'm sure we all appreciate your efforts in providing it and supporting it...

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 28 April 03 11:38 am

Hail to the CacheMonkey Guru! :)

How might one donate to the cause? I have coding skills and/or shiny coins on offer.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 28 April 03 12:08 pm

I would like to hail the cachemonkey guru as well,
I have found it to be the most useful tool for my geocaching adventures
Thanks very much
Andrew

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Cache Monkey Works Again

Post by leek » 28 April 03 12:27 pm

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I've installed the 1.5a version and it works fine... I had some trouble initially but doing a fresh install to a new folder (and then copying the cachemonkey.prop file over the top) did the trick... Thanks Brad

The Ginger Loon

Post by The Ginger Loon » 28 April 03 12:30 pm

I would also like to voice my thanks and appreciation to the CacheMonkey Guru.
<P>Thanks Brad! :D 8) </P>
IMO CacheMonkey is one of the essential pre-cache planning tools for our sport. The other one is OziExplorer. Keep up the good work and be assured your efforts are appreciataed by all.

Regards,
The Gigner Loon
Team Chaos

CacheMonkey

Thankyou

Post by CacheMonkey » 28 April 03 12:37 pm

Thanks for your Hailing! It is much appreciated as I mostly do just hear the complaints and not the compliments.

I really dont want your shiny coins, but if you feel the absolute need then i could always do with some , you can PAYPAL me a donation to
bmcgill75@ozemail.com.au . I might use it to get a premium account at geocaching.com and see if i can add some more features to cachemonkey.

Also CacheMonkey is going to be a sort of opensource thing where people can contribute to the code if they want to. Contact me at the above email if you think you can code in JAVA and tell me a bit about your coding skills.

Thanks again.

GeoMonkey Brad

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

CacheMonkey 1.5

Post by maccamob » 28 April 03 11:29 pm

Thanks for the update, Brad. You have produced an indispensable gem! Thanks for the effort.

team unicycle

Post by team unicycle » 28 April 03 11:39 pm

Can someone else try downloading South Australian caches. Cachemonkey seems to be still broken for SA. I've tried NSW, Vic, ACT and Tas, all ok, but SA doesn't work.

Stephen.