asus eee ultra mobile notebook

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 23 July 08 8:11 am

thats the i saw at jb's in adelaide
its much bigger than the original eee's

nope, dont like it, too big

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 05 August 08 6:37 pm

I bought a pnik eeepc on the weekend, took me quite a few phonecalls to find a pink one (or any really, I only found 2 others both black) on the northside of Brisbane.
I got mine cheap as it was the last one so their display one.
I think it's great, it works better then my acer which has has issues since day one.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 05 August 08 6:42 pm

Heck, even Lenovo (the mob who bought IBM's laptop division) are coming out with a sub-notebook later this year.

I think that makes the device category officially mainstream!
You don't get much more vanilla than Thinkpads.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 02 September 08 12:50 am

My 701 arrived today. Got it to take backpacking hoping that wireless networks are going to be easy enough to find around.
It was $299 + $9.95 delivery from catch of the day. The sealed box even still has the $649 Harvey Norman price sticker on it! :shock:

It's a nice little unit. Screen could be bigger and the keyboard is a bit cramped but getting used to it. For the size and price it's a bargain. Monochrome PDA's used to be a grand not long ago! Hell, 1GB SD cards were as well when they came out and I got a 16GB to stick in the Eee for $60.

I'll go have a read back though the thread for recommended software but can anyone suggest any "must have"s for the unit?

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 03 September 08 7:10 pm

Damo. wrote:My 701 arrived today. Got it to take backpacking hoping that wireless networks are going to be easy enough to find around.
It was $299 + $9.95 delivery from catch of the day. The sealed box even still has the $649 Harvey Norman price sticker on it! :shock:

It's a nice little unit. Screen could be bigger and the keyboard is a bit cramped but getting used to it. For the size and price it's a bargain. Monochrome PDA's used to be a grand not long ago! Hell, 1GB SD cards were as well when they came out and I got a 16GB to stick in the Eee for $60.

I'll go have a read back though the thread for recommended software but can anyone suggest any "must have"s for the unit?
Total bargain :!: Even with big fingers the keyboard is now no worries, I spend enough time using but I suppose :oops: :oops:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 03 September 08 7:12 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:You don't get much more vanilla than Thinkpads.
The real bean :wink: :lol:

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 21 September 08 9:55 pm

A couple of weeks ago now I got myself an EEE 1000H to replace a stolen 'ordinary' laptop. $650 for a 10" screen, 80GB hard-drive, 1GB RAM, wi-fi, bluetooth, WinXP.

The keyboard's bigger than Mama Bear's EEE 900, which was just a little too small for me, and I can touch-type on it quite comfortably (although I have to peek at the keys occasionally for some of the less-used symbols)

The battery life is excellent; at least four hours and probably closer to six if I'm indoors and able to turn the LED backlight down to a minimum. I assume wi-fi will make a difference, but it doesn't seem to be much extra drain so far. The power management is quite sophisticated, so the fewer resources you're using, the longer the battery lasts.

While it's heavier than the 700/900, it's still quite light enough to use in almost any position, and I've been using it as a comic-book reader and video player in bed without having have it well supported like a bigger laptop requires.

Because the battery life is good, I'm able to leave it in standby and have it available for use in a few seconds, as it does take a couple of minutes to boot up into usable XP. I've set it to hibernate after several hours, and coming out of hibernation only takes 15-20 seconds, which is still OK for most situations.

My wife's having to jump through a few hoops to keep her 12GB SSD workable, as it uses the 4GB internal memory as Drive C: and it's hard to keep convincing Windows not to use that as a default. My HD is partitioned as 2 x 40GB drives, and I appreciate the extra space more than I miss the potential lack of ruggedness!

I've been able to review caches using it, run Google Earth (a little slower than my main desktop, but not at all badly!) and watch Doctor Who on the ABC's iview site. I haven't loaded up GSAK or any offline mapping programs on it yet, but it'll handle them easily and be a useful companion when travelling.

It won't become my main PC, but I already think twice about booting up the desktop if I'm not really needing the grunt or much larger screen (22" widescreen plus 19" secondary monitor) real estate. For casual web browsing or emailing, it's perfectly adequate.

If you don't mind a device that's a little larger than the really small machines, this model bridges the gap between a PDA and a 'real' laptop quite nicely.

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 21 September 08 10:30 pm

my 6yo has taken ownership of my 701. Tux paint rocks apparently

CanSolo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CanSolo » 27 September 08 9:24 am

Papa Bear Left,

The 1000H is definitely currently the top of the Netbooks that are out there. The MSI Wind U100 is badly balanced (anything other than completely flat it can easily overbalance), otherwise has the same specs and similar performance. The HP Mini 2133 looks pretty, has Vista, and larger keys than most, and actually looks the best of what I have seen. Lucky for us we have been testing them at work to replace some laptops for those on the go.

Shame Microsoft wont allow the Dual Core Atom chip to be used with XP, wait for the Vista netbooks with a dual core Atom, now that is something I wouldn't mind getting my hands on.

They actually aren't that bad an option for IT Support, when all you need is something to do basic diagnostics with. They also become an option to replace the standard PC (or wait for the Eee Box) as a decent size monitor and cordless keyboard/mouse make it easy to use, and many people do not need the grunt of a Core2Duo, PLUS you have the advantage of taking it off the desk and down the street.

To make these laptops viable for me, it's getting it to be a portable video player, portable music player, both of which are easy, but getting the software to use my current GPS to help it be a navigator in the car, as well as geting some prepaid mobile broadband to use when I need it. It's better than a PDA, assists a desktop or full laptop, and is powerful enough to be successful at quite a few things in the car to save plenty of money. I know I don't want to have a separate Car Navigation system when I already have a GPS to do the job

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 28 September 08 8:34 am

CanSolo - which one are you actually recommending here? One is the top and the other the best.
CanSolo wrote:The 1000H is definitely currently the top of the Netbooks that are out there.
CanSolo wrote:The HP Mini 2133 looks pretty, has Vista, and larger keys than most, and actually looks the best of what I have seen.
I see the EEE 700 is now going for $275 as MSY.

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 28 September 08 9:30 am

at that price the kids will get one each

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 28 September 08 9:35 am

should warn everyone that eee power supplies are NOT puppy proof. i now need a new one :oops:

ArgusTuft

Post by ArgusTuft » 28 September 08 2:30 pm

Udderchaos wrote:should warn everyone that eee power supplies are NOT puppy proof. i now need a new one :oops:
Puppy or power supply?
The reason I ask is that I once had a labrador that liked to chew on cables under the house. :cry:

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 28 September 08 2:32 pm

puppies fine, it wasnt even plugged in.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 01 October 08 10:33 am

I bought mine to backpack around Central and South America. I had a few people scoff at the thought that there would we wifi networks around but I'm typing this in Quetzeltenango in Guatemala. Wifi available 'free' for patrons at many restaurants and cafes.
The past 45min online have cost me the price of a beer. About $2.20. :)
Very happy with the purchase!
I most certainly haven't suffered any laptop envy with poeple around with full sized laptops when this thing fits easily in the front pocket of my daypack! :D