A problem with Plucker/iSilo on Palm

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
davroy
1250 or more geocaches found

A problem with Plucker/iSilo on Palm

Post by davroy » 27 November 07 9:09 pm

Sorry if this has been covered in the past...

I use GSAK and Cachemate for my Palm Tungsten T5. No problems there. I don't use PQs, I just pick and choose which caches I might want to do, either from looking on Google Earth, or via the emails I get every day.

The problem is that my GSAK gets out of date fairly quickly, as does my Cachemate database. I have tried to export from GSAK to HTML, then into Plucker, then onto the Palm for updated info. I've been caught out many times by caches that me be unavailable/archived and I've not known about it. The only problem with this is that Plucker will only update a few caches, the rest are not updated. The same with iSilo. I have managed to trace this back to GC.com, it seem it does not like many attempts to grab info in a short time. Try opening 5 or more caches from GSAK at once, GC will open the first couple, then freeze for the rest. This is what's causing my problem.

What I'm after is either a solution to the way I work, and no I don't want to go via PQs, or will this just not work for me at all? Thanks in advance for any help.

Vaughan.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 November 07 9:35 pm

GC.com have a throttle. If you try and grab too many pages too fast it will stop serving them to you. Try reducing the speed at which you fetch the next page. One every 6 seconds or so should see you fall under the throttle radar.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 27 November 07 11:51 pm

I'm not sure if this helps, but I've been using GSAK->GPXSpinner->plucker to export HTML cache descriptions to my Palm T3 for a long time and never had any trouble (until the other day, when I noticed some GCA caches were missing - but I'm still checking on that).
<P>I realize that GPXSpinner's function has been incorporated into GSAK since I first started using it - but I still do it the way I started and I've never had anything like the problem you describe.

davroy

Post by davroy » 28 November 07 5:37 pm

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't matter whether I export the HTML from GSAK or Spinner, I still come up against the GC.com throttle. I can't find an option in Plucker to slow it down. I couldn't find one in iSilo either. This is annoying!!

Mloe
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Mloe » 28 November 07 11:10 pm

davroy wrote:Thanks for the replies. It doesn't matter whether I export the HTML from GSAK or Spinner, I still come up against the GC.com throttle. I can't find an option in Plucker to slow it down. I couldn't find one in iSilo either. This is annoying!!
It sounds like you need to uncheck 'follow off site links' in iSilox (or what ever it's equivilent is in Plucker). The HTML export from GSAK should be entirely self contained (except for images) and shouldn't require the converter to fetch any pages from gc.com at all. If you confirm that is your issue you can turn link following back on and use 'Max Link Depth' and your 'URL Filters' to get your images back and ensure that you're only fetching what is actually required from the outside world. It shouldn't be much; GSAK has put the majority of what you need right there on your disk. :)

davroy

Post by davroy » 30 November 07 8:47 am

Thanks for the reply, Mloe. As I said in the first post, I want to use Plucker to grab the latest info and logs from GC.com, as I don't use PQs, as I pick and choose which I want to do, not just grab everything within 100km etc. As it seems that Plucker and iSilo do not allow you to slow down them, I guess that I will not be able to do what I want to do. :) Damn! :D