Having issues with GSAK

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
weewillie
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Having issues with GSAK

Post by weewillie » 04 November 07 10:41 am

Hi All,
I'm having a few of issues with GSAK.
When I load a new LOC file I've down loaded from Roblisa, the "State" don't show up, I have to remark all the caches I've found, also the caches I own don't show as owned by me.

Are these common issues or is there some thing I'm doing wrong?

wee willie

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 04 November 07 11:31 am

A LOC file contains a VERY minimal set of data, I'm pretty sure even the State is not in it.

Only a GPX file will have all the data you need, like logs etc etc.....
With GC.COM that means you will need one of their Premium Menberships to make the most of GSAK.

GCA GPX files are offered free of charge, but only contain caches listed on our site.

in GSAK make sure you have your username set up in Tools->Options->General... I have the 'method for matching found or placed caches' set to 'Wildcard Match' with the username of *CraigRat* to catch all my found/hidden caches.

As LOC files dont have logs, you'll have to manually set the caches you have found.

weewillie
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by weewillie » 04 November 07 4:48 pm

CraigRat wrote:A LOC file contains a VERY minimal set of data, I'm pretty sure even the State is not in it.

Only a GPX file will have all the data you need, like logs etc etc.....
With GC.COM that means you will need one of their Premium Menberships to make the most of GSAK.
Will the GPX file from roblisa work the same as gpx files from GC?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 04 November 07 5:48 pm

weewillie wrote:Will the GPX file from roblisa work the same as gpx files from GC?
The Roblisa data is VERY minimal, the GPX files form there do not have any other logs, or even the cache description...only the co-ords and a minimal amount of useful info.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 November 07 8:48 pm

If all you want them for is to upload to your GPSr then they are fine. They have the coordinates and name of the cache. But that's about it. Not sure how up to date they are either.
GPX files from gc.com also contain the cache description text, hints, last 5 logs etc. Useful to send to a PDA if you are paperless caching. But you need to be a premium member to get them as "Pocket Queries".

GPX files from gca are free but only contain caches listed on gca.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 04 November 07 10:05 pm

Just thinking out loud!
but why are GPX files not available freely on GC yet are standard on GCA. Is it more work to "make" a GPX file? Or my guess is , just money making?????

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 04 November 07 10:24 pm

tronador wrote:Just thinking out loud!
but why are GPX files not available freely on GC yet are standard on GCA. Is it more work to "make" a GPX file? Or my guess is , just money making?????
The latter.

Groundspeak are a commercial company, and Premium memberships are their bread and butter (although I would think they are probably making more money nowadays off trackables)

If they gave away GPX files they would lose a lot of their base revenue (after all, a premium membership doesn't offer much more than being able to access GPX files....)