How to use a stick!

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

How to use a stick!

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 28 October 07 12:32 am

Someone pointed me to this site and I found it an informative read:

Pete's Pole Pages

One of the major things I picked up was the use of the strap on the hand-grip. I'd always used it like a camera strap, just there to stop you losing what it's attached to if you drop it.
Actually, you should use it to take most of the weight, rather than your fingers on the grip. It works! It's less tiring and feels really secure.

Well worth a read if you use trekking poles.

(Mama Bear always carried a stick, usually one she'd found somewhere, but I never bothered. I then bought a pair of poles and we had one each. After saving myself from a few scrapes and twisted knees, I became a convert and now use one even on pretty short and/or flat walks!)

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 28 October 07 9:01 pm

There is also a brand of pole where the top comes off and has a camera thread there. Use as monopod for camera. :idea:
Don't know brand but I know it exists.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 October 07 10:41 am

My GPSr has a metal oval stuck on the back which holds it in a magnetic mount in the car, and I've added one of the holders onto the top of my hiking pole as well. It's not strong enough to just leave it on there while walking, but it makes a good place to leave it averaging while I sit and read a book nearby!

I've toyed with the idea of adding a camera quick-release foot to all the gadgets but they're a bit expensive (the mounts especially.)

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 30 October 07 4:33 pm

Thanks PBL! c-pprass has one (1) but finds that her wrist gets sore. I'll tell her about the correct grip and use of the strap.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 30 October 07 6:20 pm

Zytheran wrote:There is also a brand of pole where the top comes off and has a camera thread there. Use as monopod for camera. :idea:
Don't know brand but I know it exists.
<p>It's a <i>Tracks</i> pole :) </p><p>I have owned and used a <i>Tracks</i> two-section pole for 12 years - it saved my life walking through a waterfall on the Milford Track during a 280mm in 24hr rain event :shock: </p>

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 02 November 07 8:22 pm

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread about beating ones self over ones head with ones stick for making certain comments about certain caches. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted:

But then the PENny dropped. I was wrong. :( :( :( :roll:

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 03 November 07 8:44 pm

Mama Bear always carried a stick, usually one she'd found somewhere
Just be carefull :wink: . I saw a kid almost put one through his jugular when he sliped :shock: . It gave him a good scratch but that was it luckily. I wouldn't have liked to have to deal with that one </shuder>.

Thomo

Post by Thomo » 06 November 07 11:26 pm

Great page, just what I needed to see.
Nearly bought a pair of poles before heading out to find some caches today. Luckily the shops were not open when I left otherwise I could have wasted my dollars on not knowing what I was looking for in a pole :cry: .

Poles are the next thing to go into the hiking/caching/camping backpack.

Cheers

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 07 November 07 2:51 pm

G'day

I love my MSR Overland Carbon poles and would probably only get carbon poles now if I have to replace them.

Regards
Andrew