Newbie thread: Which PDA/GPS combination to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
!mike

Re: Newbie thread: Which PDA/GPS combination to buy?

Post by !mike » 12 January 11 3:10 pm

HardcoreHarris wrote:iPhone 4 + Groundspeaks Geocaching app = everything you could possibly need for Geocaching. \:D/ =;
I too have tried that, and I must say it works fine.
But: Must have a reasonable data connection and I find the screen is a bit small when it comes to reading the description/notes and last found etc. The ability to log the find as soon as you find the cache is very good. But as said, if you want to give a meaningful amount of information it is a pain I find. Typically I just say "Thanks" and leave it at that which is not very satisfactory. So... typing on such a small screen is difficult for me. No problems with you young people though, I guess.

On a recent trip I saved the cache notes (from GSAK) to my iPad and that made for easy viewing.
I use a 7" navigator running OziExplorer CE (usually set to 25%) in the car which is loaded with waypoints from GSAK. This shows me caches as I drive along.
I use a Garmin eTrex (little yellow one) when I get out of the car.
I record the caches as I find them in a small notebook.

My current thoughts are:
  • Navigator running OziExplorer in the car works fine for me
  • While I am happy with the etrex it only holds 500 waypoints. A unit which allowed POI to be used might be better for me - GPSMap 60CSx would most probably be an over kill since I don't really need the maps feature
  • The idea of reading the cache description/hint/notes etc. while looking for a cache, if not easily found, appeals to me but the iPad is too large to carry around in the field
  • Being able to say "Found it" and write a note which later can be automatically uploaded to Geocaching.com also appeals to me
So a pda type device which can use CacheMate is what I think I will go for.
But... which one? Cost doesn't really matter so long as it will do the job.

Mike

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 14 January 11 7:49 pm

HardcoreHarris wrote:Off topic but I really hate GC and their stoopid rules, GCA is much better I find and I list all my caches on GCA now, shame they wont be picked up on peoples iPhone but meh.
A lot of cacher use Geosphere on the iPhone, that takes GCA caches no dramas, so don't fret! :lol:

!mike

Post by !mike » 14 January 11 11:09 pm

I have got Geosphere but have yet to try it out.

Interesting about the delay when typing. I don't have that problem on my iPhone 4 with version 4.2.1
Just tried it and the text appears instantly as I press a "key".

!mike

Post by !mike » 22 January 11 1:46 pm

My iPhone has latest software operating system.

Make sure you have the latest GC software update. There was a note (GC forum? or somewhere I read) that in the previous version there was a memory leak which eventually slowed the app down just like you said.

On reflection, that happened to me - slow typing. All OK when I rebooted the phone - for a while. So try that or better still make sure you have updated the app which is supposed to fix the problem.

Mike

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Re:

Post by gmj3191 » 22 January 11 2:47 pm

ruzzelz wrote:I need to come down from the trees (or at least stop using the trees) and start paperless caching. Hence do I go for a PDA or a mobile? I looked at the Nokia N 95 but having to download maps on the fly seems to be a possible cost blow out.

I also wish to use the device to assit in holding travel information for an upcoming OS holiday.

Will a HP iPAQ 112 do me fine or not. I'm not that worried about the mobile phone but paperless caching, GPS if possible and some additional features would be good

I have a Map 60CSx and it appears I could get EU maps for this at the right price.
I went to Europe (Greece, Italy, Switzerland, France) last year and found CN Europe on my 60 CSx (now superceded by my Oregon 550) to be invaluable.
All the hotels and tourist sites were in there as POIs with info such as telephone numbers, address etc.

Renroc
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Renroc » 22 January 11 9:54 pm

!mike wrote:My iPhone has latest software operating system.

Make sure you have the latest GC software update. There was a note (GC forum? or somewhere I read) that in the previous version there was a memory leak which eventually slowed the app down just like you said.

On reflection, that happened to me - slow typing. All OK when I rebooted the phone - for a while. So try that or better still make sure you have updated the app which is supposed to fix the problem.

Mike
Hi there, was this happening to you today?? I had exactly the same issues. Didn't bother rebooting though but there was a definate lag in the typing. I have not noticed it before today so it may well have been some issue today and may not happen again.
I've got V4.2.2