Newbie thread: Which Magellan handheld GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Newbie thread: Which Magellan handheld GPS to buy?

Post by Cached » 27 September 07 12:58 pm

OK, you've made your decision to buy a Magellan - but which one do you choose from the vast array available?

This thread, a sticky, so please keep on track, is for discussing this issue and asking questions.

Thanks

Cached

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 01 October 07 12:03 pm

My suggestion is wait till the new Tritons are released

www.gpsoz.com.au/magellan/triton.htm

Think I will be going the 400 at least (SD card Slot for detailed maps)..maybe the 1500 to get bigger screen. I would not get any use out of compass/barometer or camera so these models off my list.

If however you cant wait and are looking at the eXplorist range would suggest at a minimum the 210 if you are on a budget - connects to PC and has some room for detailed maps - DAST only ..no SD card so you cant use DAST Topo.

If you have a few extra bucks go the 500 - connect to PC, colour screen, SD card slot for detailed maps (DAST or DAST Topo).

If you need/want a bigger screen then the XL may suit your needs though could be considered a bit cumbersome for carrying around.

Cheers
Greg

Grank

Post by Grank » 02 October 07 11:38 am

The Explorer wrote:
If you need/want a bigger screen then the XL may suit your needs though could be considered a bit cumbersome for carrying around.
I love my XL but agree - it depends on your needs and the big screen was a priority for me. My other choice of the current models would have been the 500.

If
10000 or more caches found

Bwah hah hah!

Post by If » 06 October 07 7:11 pm

With no disrespect to Ferdinand meant :P :P :P :P :P :P

pprass

Obsolete Magellan products

Post by pprass » 23 January 08 2:04 pm

Magellan have announced that most of the eXplorist models are now obsolete. Not sure about the XL.

http://www.magellangps.com/support/obsoleteProducts.asp

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 23 January 08 5:47 pm

If you see a cheap one on eBay or whatever, the Meridian series is worth getting.

It's the older chipset, so it's not as sensitive as the newer models, but is quite good enough in all but the steepest gullies or heaviest tree canopy.
The screen is monochrome, but there are quite good maps available for it and being able to see tracks and creeks etc. is a real boon. (Even if you can't always tell which is which!)

One of the main features is that they use an SD card, which can hold maps, waypoints, saved tracks, etc. A 128MB card (almost free these days!) can hold the entire set of Australian maps, a couple of 500 waypoint files and quite a few days of saved tracklogs. Get a USB cardreader and you can update your cachelist very quickly, instead of waiting for the slow serial connection.

They're not on a par with the current models, of course, but make a good beginner's model. They float if you drop 'em in water, they use 2xAA batteries which should last all day, and they'll get you close enough to a cache to spot the cache-spoor!

ozzie-jeeper
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by ozzie-jeeper » 04 March 08 5:32 pm

Just a few thoughts on GPS's... Get one that can take standard batteries as a bakup power supply (the Explorists cant :( ) ( get something with a robust data/power cable fixing.. My explorist has a tiny treaded screw that is stripped.. and cant be fixed).....
Overall I have been happy with the Explorist, but now they are not being supported i wouldnt touch them..... Sorry, but mine needs a little work, but its going to be cheaper to buy something new....So at the moment im not a Magellan fan.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 04 March 08 6:17 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:
A 128MB card (almost free these days!)
I can remember not to long ago! Ok 2004 paying $130 :oops: Biggest I could find :!:

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 05 March 08 3:28 pm

ozzie-jeeper wrote:Just a few thoughts on GPS's... Get one that can take standard batteries as a bakup power supply (the Explorists cant :( )
My previous Explorist 100, and current Explorist 210 run quite happily on AA's; I think there were only one or two models that had a custom battery pack.

Echo
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 05 March 08 9:53 pm

SG-3 wrote:
ozzie-jeeper wrote:Just a few thoughts on GPS's... Get one that can take standard batteries as a bakup power supply (the Explorists cant :( )
My previous Explorist 100, and current Explorist 210 run quite happily on AA's; I think there were only one or two models that had a custom battery pack.
And you can get an adapter that fits 3 AAA or AA batteries to replace the rechargable battery in the 500/600 etc.

HMAS MB
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by HMAS MB » 09 July 08 1:53 pm

I love my Meridian Gold. A freind had a Garmin 60cs and the maps were useless compared to Discoveraus. I dont know about now.

You can get a coloured screen with the Colour and Platinum :D

terryjack

Post by terryjack » 18 July 08 8:53 pm

I have just returned home with an explorist 100 and took it for a run to find a nearby cache, it seems like a good gps for a newbie like me, will see how it goes down the track

Lyn Pat and Nathan
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Lyn Pat and Nathan » 26 July 08 4:02 pm

I use the Meridian Platinum. They are accurate but slow to home in on the location.Once you get used to the boomerang effect they work well. They average out when stationary so you can narrow your search area to within 3m. (assuming the cache was placed correctly).
In a comparison to the newer XL model.... the XL wins hands down in out of the box (with the maps SD card)
The maps are very accurate but lack detail so seem clunky to the casual observer but once you use them you will know what I mean. I always know that it will place me on the track I am walking. There are phantom tracks but its no worse than other maps systems in that regard.
I still prefer the Platinum units as they have maps that interact with the computer (DAST) and I can also use the computer maps without having to plug in the GPS unit.
At last count I had 4 units (maybe 5)all in perfect working order.
The only other units out there that tempt me is Magellan XL and the Garmin CSx60. reasons not to get these units is the Magellan XL is too big and colour screen isnt as good in full sunlight plus it will be heavy on batteries. Garmin CSx60, the maps wont be as good as the ones I am used to on the magellan units.

trunksnsuch
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Ex Magellan user

Post by trunksnsuch » 17 August 08 7:46 pm

I don't know whether I'm allowed to say what I'm about to ... but what the hell, it won't be the first time I get myself into trouble.

I have a Magellan Meridian for sale plus lots of extras that go with it for mobile mapping, etc.

I started caching with this machine and changed to a Garmin Etrex Legend because either, I'm a dummy and can't use the Magellan, it has limitations, or the Garmin is more user friendly. I'll accept the dummy handle - I am, after all, in the older age group.

I would suggest you check out the Garmin. If, however, you decide to go with the Magellan - it's one of the best Magellan's available - it's just that I don't have the ability to use it - contact me direct and we can negotiate something.

I'm holidaying at the present and will be home on the 22nd August.

Echo

Re: Newbie thread: Which Magellan handheld GPS to buy?

Post by Echo » 19 October 09 4:19 pm

So what do people think of the Tritons, does anyone actually use one?