Newbie thread: Which Magellan handheld GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GoeMuppets

Re: Newbie thread: Which Magellan handheld GPS to buy?

Post by GoeMuppets » 09 February 14 6:46 pm

Stupid me bought a eXplorist GC for $50 (brand new from a shop in the box), it was just great till I really started to get serious with it, I deleted the preloaded caches {the closest was 16,000km away} now I can't get this stupid thing to do anything, the computer won't recognise the device, can't upload or down load caches, got a tec smart mate to look at it and he wanted to hit me for buying it after 3 hr's of frustrating computer/GPS work.
Magellan did not bother to reply to any of the emails I sent them - absolutely brilliant customer service

Tyreless
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Tyreless » 09 February 14 7:05 pm

Try looking or posting here: http://www.magellaninsiders.com/viewforum.php?f=18

I feel your pain but it's a nice little device for the money (mine is a backup now).

Geoff aka Tyreless

pprass
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 09 February 14 7:36 pm

I can't remember totally, but I think you need to download Magellan Drivers so that the PC will recognise your GC Explorist. You definitely have to download "Magellan Communicator" so that you can download caches direct from the GC.com web site. Have a look at the GC online manual page 30.

isolation
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by isolation » 27 March 14 11:01 am

I bought my sister a $50 GC unit for her birthday and she loves it. I went with the 710 and love that too, it's the complete unit, does everything I want and more.

I initially had problems with getting my pc to communicate with the Geocaching.com website, but that turned out to be a windows issue, nothing to do with the unit or the Magellan communicator software. Same happened for my sister with the GC unit, but adjusting preferences through windows sorted it out.

I've never owned a Garmin, I'm sure they're great, but I'm very happy with Magellan, and would go with them again in the future.

pprass

Post by pprass » 27 March 14 11:20 am

isolation wrote:... I went with the 710 and love that too, it's the complete unit, does everything I want and more..

That's what I think as well - I went from juggling a GPSr, a PDA, a phone and a camera and now just go around with a GPSr and a phone.
isolation wrote:I've never owned a Garmin, I'm sure they're great, but I'm very happy with Magellan, and would go with them again in the future.
It's what you get used to. Garmins have their little foibles as well, but you just learn to accept them. A couple of issues with the Magellan though is that it takes 32 seconds to boot up and it eats batteries. Garmins boot up very fast and a pair of batteries last 2 maybe 3 times longer than in the Magellan.
But the biggest issue that I have with the Magellans is the map updates - ie NONE!!

isolation
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by isolation » 28 March 14 12:42 pm

Yeah they do cut through batteries a bit, but once again I can't compare to Garmin. I find I can stretch their life a bit by using the 12v adaptor when I jump back in the car. Works great if I'm doing numerous caches in a day. Doubles their life at the very least. I haven't tried it yet, but Tuena mentioned earlier in this thread that he switches his battery settings to alkaline instead of lithium, which gives him more battery life.

I'm not too phased by the boot up either, I just get it ready before I need to use it. Sometimes the updating lag when you switch from idle back to main is a pain.

I haven't looked into the maps issue yet. I'm sure they'll put out updated maps eventually, but will that mean more $$ :(

pprass

Post by pprass » 08 April 14 1:11 pm

isolation wrote: I haven't looked into the maps issue yet. I'm sure they'll put out updated maps eventually, but will that mean more $$ :(
Well - I wouldn't hold your breath!! Have a look at this announcement on one of the Explorist forums:

http://www.exploristforum.com/forums/ge ... rld/#p7757

I hate to say it, but it's all over for the eXplorists as far as I am concerned. When the ones that I have need to be replaced it will be over to Ga...Gar...... oh I can't say it :roll:

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 08 April 14 5:19 pm

Peter, have you thought about using Open Street Maps for your Ma ma ma ....magellan?

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/show ... hp?t=15966

pprass

Post by pprass » 09 April 14 8:19 am

Yes Geoff - that is a possibility (looks a bit old though). I am also looking at this site http://maps4me.net/index.php?language=en, but haven't been desperate enough as yet to really go into it.

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 09 April 14 6:08 pm

pprass wrote:When the ones that I have need to be replaced it will be over to Ga...Gar...... oh I can't say it :roll:
Yes Pete - come over to the dark side.

isolation
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by isolation » 12 April 14 7:32 am

pprass wrote:
isolation wrote: I haven't looked into the maps issue yet. I'm sure they'll put out updated maps eventually, but will that mean more $$ :(
Well - I wouldn't hold your breath!! Have a look at this announcement on one of the Explorist forums:

I hate to say it, but it's all over for the eXplorists as far as I am concerned. When the ones that I have need to be replaced it will be over to Ga...Gar...... oh I can't say it :roll:

Well that's disappointing , they're a great unit.

As you say, when the time comes for a new one, I'll deal with it then.

isolation
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by isolation » 05 December 14 1:16 am

pprass wrote:

Is this correct? Has anyone upgraded? http://www.greatwalks.com.au/news/magel ... t-gps-maps

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 05 December 14 5:18 am

isolation wrote:
pprass wrote:

Is this correct? Has anyone upgraded? http://www.greatwalks.com.au/news/magel ... t-gps-maps
The funny thing is that since I bought my first GC model several years ago I took the SD card from my 500 put the Australian Topo maps onto my computer them loaded them across onto my GC model. Yes it had plenty of room for whole series. It could only run a single state at a time but was easy to toggle between as I travel between states. Will be interesting to what the new maps are like.

pprass

Post by pprass » 05 December 14 8:39 am

isolation wrote: Is this correct? Has anyone upgraded? http://www.greatwalks.com.au/news/magel ... t-gps-maps
Now that is interesting. However I can't see how to download for free as mentioned in the article.

Update: I spoke to Magellan Support and found that the free upgrade was only for newly purchased 710's and 610's and for a short period only.

The Summit & City Series upgrade costs $150, but I am still not sure that the one that is on the Magellan site is the new version (doesn't say what the version no. is) Magellan support are looking into it and will get back to me.

isolation
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by isolation » 05 December 14 11:21 pm

Agreed, I think the 'free' upgrade was for select purchases, but it does seem at least that there is an upgrade! Got to love that :)