Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Re: Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Post by bshwckr » 12 November 10 9:54 am

Just re-read the original post so this could be off-topic. If so, please delete or move to new thread.

Depending on your phone/plan situation, consider the iPhone instead of a Garmin. Check the deals kicking around. If you are going to use the data and the calls, you could score what is essentially a free iPhone. I know this to be true because I reduced my wife's phone bills by about $60 a month with an iPhone thrown into the deal at no extra.

Now if the deals work for you, this is why I say an iPhone;
*Paperless caching. The official geocaching app at $12.99 is fantastic and getting better all the time. If you want to do GCA caches, there is an app for that too, Geosphere.
*The apps include all types of maps including topo, satellite and street via free download. If you are concerned you would use up your data downloading maps, this can be done via wifi and cached on the phone.
*You always have your phone with you so, if you find yourself with some unexpected caching time away from home, you can instantly download the local caches and off you go. No need to organise your GPX files beforehand.
*If you need to, you can view the caches actual web page including photos.
*You can post your logs immediately from the field including the trackables and upload photos.
*There is no need to even own a computer to cache with an iPhone.
*The screen of the iPhone is nicer to look at and interact with than any gps on the market today.

However, there are three main drawbacks with using the iPhone for caching. The accuracy of the gps, the ruggedness of the iPhone in outside environments and battery life.
In areas with mobile coverage, gps accuracy is not a problem and I have found the iPhone to be accurate to around 5 or 6 meters, sometimes much better. Good enough for caching. In "urban canyons" it may outperform a dedicated GPS. Outside mobile coverage, you sometimes struggle to even get a fix. I would be reluctant to use the iPhone to place a cache unless I had plenty of time to average the coordinates.
As for ruggedness, if you want to spend the money, this can be improved with a case. If you want to spend even more money, you can get a case that also improves the gps and battery life. If you acquired the phone for "free" than these cases can be considered a bargain compared to a dedicated gps that requires the purchase of maps etc.

I have the iPhone 4 and a Garmin Oregon 450. I would not like to have to do without either. If I had to choose just one, the iPhone would win due to its versatility.

gmj3191
7500 or more caches found

Post by gmj3191 » 12 November 10 2:00 pm

bshwckr wrote:Just re-read the original post so this could be off-topic. If so, please delete or move to new thread.

*The screen of the iPhone is nicer to look at and interact with than any gps on the market today.
I was about to say the screen of an iPhone would not be too good in direct sunlight, because I've just seen an iPad outdoors and it's completely useless unless you can find some strong shade.
However I took my Touch outdoors just now and the screen is usable, not great but usable. I'm assuming an iPhone is similar.

Re the iPad, I was comparing it to a Kindle for use in a variety of conditions, and when the iPad is outdoors, it's hard enough to tell whether it's switched on, let alone using it to read an e-book.

Nabarlek
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Nabarlek » 12 November 10 2:04 pm

thank you.

Just brought the Garmine Asus A50. For a low cost entry level device I really couldn't walk past it.

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 03 March 11 6:45 pm

So, i finally brought myself my first GPS today...a eTrex H.

Hmm..not bad so far?

Also, have confused the guy working at dick smith. Apparently i'm the second person today to say that i was using it for geocaching. Who else was there? :D

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 03 April 11 3:08 pm

I'm yet another newbie completely confused by the range of Garmins on the market. I'm looking to upgrade my old 38. Priorities for me, in order of priority, would be; accuracy, ability to work under trees, ability to connect to a PC, waterproof, internal compass, price.
On this basis it seems to me that the eTrex Vista HCx would be the ideal choice, also the GPSMAP 62st seems possible. I'm no fan of touch screens. Quite happy with buttons, unless someone can point out some real advantages of a touch screen.
There is a default choice of course which saves some money and that's a basic yellow eTrex which is much the same as my old 38. I'm told these are quite accurate?
Any guidance from those who have been down this path would be much appreciated!

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 03 April 11 3:55 pm

Hi. I can recommend the GPSmap 62S.
I didn't need the American topo maps (of the 62st) so opted for the 62S very soon after it's release in Australia (about August, 2010). Am very pleased with it, overall, and use it while bushwalking, caching, and various other.

With a screen protector and a belt clip, it's almost scratchproof and hands-free. Cheers. :)

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 03 April 11 9:44 pm

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure the 62 would meet my requirements but I'm wondering if I need to go that far. Were you moving up from another unit, or were you like me, pretty much starting from scratch?
Seems sad referring to my old 38 as scratch. It was the ducks nuts when I bought it in 1996!

PesceVerde
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by PesceVerde » 03 April 11 11:40 pm

My previous handheld unit was a GPSmap 60CSx.

Yes, GPS devices have come a long way since I first wondered at the tech. powering a borrowed GPS12. Modern handhand receivers make life a whole lot easier though, and in IMO it would pay in the long run to buy the best one (including maps if applicable, and accessories) that fits within your budget.

Cheers. :)

nutwood

Post by nutwood » 04 April 11 11:07 am

Hmmm. Have ended up ordering a Dakota 20. Not on my original short list and I had to swallow my dislike of touch screens but seems to fit the bill in every other way, and perhaps I'll come to like the touch screen. Never know till you've lived with one for a while.
Thought hard about the 62S, then went full circle back to a cheapy eTrex. Thing is, the eTrex might be cheap ($135) but you don't get much with it. Still have to buy a cable etc which makes the Dakota 10 look good at $235. Dakota 10 was nearly it, but I really would like to have a compass so hunted about a bit and got a Dakota 20 for $345, including postage.
We'll see how it works out.

dbanksy

Post by dbanksy » 30 May 11 3:51 pm

nutwood wrote:Hmmm. Have ended up ordering a Dakota 20. Not on my original short list and I had to swallow my dislike of touch screens but seems to fit the bill in every other way, and perhaps I'll come to like the touch screen. Never know till you've lived with one for a while.
Thought hard about the 62S, then went full circle back to a cheapy eTrex. Thing is, the eTrex might be cheap ($135) but you don't get much with it. Still have to buy a cable etc which makes the Dakota 10 look good at $235. Dakota 10 was nearly it, but I really would like to have a compass so hunted about a bit and got a Dakota 20 for $345, including postage.
We'll see how it works out.
nutwood, wandering how the dakota 20 is going as im thinking of getting one? how does it go under trees etc?

budgietas
10000 or more caches found

Post by budgietas » 01 June 11 9:05 pm

I did my first 500 or so caches with an iPhone. I found that *if* you were lucky you would get 17metres of accuracy. On rare times I got a 9 metre accuracy range. I purchased an Oregon 550 and I am extremely happy with it. 3 or 4 metres of accuracy is common and the reception is great almost everywhere. The topo maps are great as well, allowing less up and down hills where possible.

It was expensive, but well worth it.
Last edited by budgietas on 02 June 11 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gmj3191

Post by gmj3191 » 01 June 11 9:17 pm

budgietas wrote:I did my first 500 or so caches with an iPhone. I found that *if* you were lucky you would get 17metres of accuracy. On rare times I got a 9 metre accuracy range. I outlawed an Oregon 550 and I am extremely happy with it. 3 or 4 metres of accuracy is common and the reception is great almost everywhere. The topo maps are great as well, allowing less up and down hills where possible.

I was expensive, but well worth it.
I outlawed an Oregon too and I'm very happy with it. :lol:
I now also have an HTC Desire Android phone and it has surprised me as far as the accuracy of the GPS goes. It runs very close with the Oregon for accuracy but the screen is not very good in direct sunlight.

There is a new Garmin Etrex just being released too, which has paperless caching. http://tinyurl.com/3ecou3o

budgietas

Post by budgietas » 01 June 11 9:34 pm

Outlawed?

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 01 June 11 9:44 pm

Ya know, I was wondering about that too :wink:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 June 11 9:51 pm

budgietas wrote:I did my first 500 or so caches with an iPhone. I found that *if* you were lucky you would get 17metres of accuracy. On rare times I got a 9 metre accuracy range. I outlawed an Oregon 550 and I am extremely happy with it. 3 or 4 metres of accuracy is common and the reception is great almost everywhere. The topo maps are great as well, allowing less up and down hills where possible.

I was expensive, but well worth it.
budgietas wrote:Outlawed?
You're doing my head in.