Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
caughtatwork

Re: Newbie thread: Which Garmin handheld GPS to buy?

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 10 1:26 pm

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/handhel ... n-450-gps/ $548.00

Salisbury (Qld) has them in stock. Melbourne does not yet. Melbourne say if I order via the website they come from Salisbury anyway, so I'm just itching to push that GO button.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 03 February 10 1:31 pm

I'd push the GO button IF they were $458. \:D/

mm

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 10 2:08 pm

Damn. Fixed. $548.00

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 February 10 2:58 pm

http://www.octapc.com.au/prod2502.htm
Even though their website sayd $N.an (which I told the bloke on the phone), they are offering $549.00 plus $11 P&H to Melbourne. But you get a free 2GB thingy card (I think). Close enough to not care about.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 03 February 10 6:24 pm

I just brought the Oregon 300 for $329 plus $12 delivery to Adelaide from Johnny, it's so good that I ended up with a FTF today :shock:

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 26 February 10 8:07 pm

Skippy wrote:I just brought the Oregon 300 for $329 plus $12 delivery to Adelaide from Johnny, it's so good that I ended up with a FTF today :shock:
Snap, except the first thing I got was a \:D/ DNF \:D/ on a simple cache because the arrow kept on pointing where I was walking and not where the cache was.. :oops:

PS The manual is as useful as tits on a bull. Seriously, it's *missing* important stuff. [-X

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 26 February 10 9:22 pm

Zytheran wrote:
Skippy wrote:I just brought the Oregon 300 for $329 plus $12 delivery to Adelaide from Johnny, it's so good that I ended up with a FTF today :shock:
Snap, except the first thing I got was a \:D/ DNF \:D/ on a simple cache because the arrow kept on pointing where I was walking and not where the cache was.. :oops:

PS The manual is as useful as tits on a bull. Seriously, it's *missing* important stuff. [-X
ditto on the oregon 300 :D I loaded the open street maps and they're great. mm, I've sort of worked out how to use it mostly but there's not a lot in the manual about how to do the detailed stuff. Well, I don't really know what detailed stuff I don't know about actually. No doubt I'll pick up snippets from others as I go with a bit of luck

Indaweeds
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Indaweeds » 26 February 10 9:30 pm

If you haven't found it already, check out the Oregon Wiki here:

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

All you need to know about the Oregon or Dakota, and then some...

poorPDOP

Post by poorPDOP » 28 February 10 3:46 pm

EuDes wrote:Wow, what are Garmin doing? A comparison of the 450 and 550 shows that the only difference between the two is the 3.2 megapixel on-board camera on the 550, and that doesn't have optical zoom.

In effect, you would be paying AUD$150 more (RRP) for the camera! I reckon that the 450 will effectively kill off the 550 as well at that sort of price difference. I know there would be people who would want the convenience of an all-in-one unit but for mine, I'd take the 450 and buy a cheapie, snap happy 10 megapixel camera with 3-4 times optical zoom and still have enough left over for a celebratory champagne
I was a little sceptical of the camera in a GPS unit, but how I was wrong.
The camera in the O550 is sensational considering on first impression it appears rather crued, i.e. an "added extra".
Here is a sample:-
http://g.imagehost.org/0020/DSC00062.jpg
(Taken from a heicopter over Cradle Mountain)
[Appologies for the incorrect rotation. This seems to be a little inconvenience when taking portrait shots with the O550]
The camera has a zoom function and autofocus. The picture has the ability to act as a waypoint, i.e. choose a picture and go to the georeferenced location.
Overall I'm very impressed with the onboard camera considering I also carried an dedicated (7Mp) camera with me and was also able to compare against a friends DSLR (10Mp) camera.

ftstn

Post by ftstn » 11 April 10 10:53 pm

Okay so i am needing a new GPS, always had Garmin Etrex, Looking at getting either a Legend Hcx or an oregon ( exact model to be decided), 2 biggest must haves high sensitivity chipset (i got shown up by a friends yellow etrex on a SAR :? ) and mini sd for maps, any suggestions either way, have not been able to find a dealer in tassie who has both in stock so i can play.

Maffu

SG-3
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by SG-3 » 12 April 10 6:46 pm

Hi ftstn! I'm running a Vista HCx which I'm very happy with (Vista differs from the Legend in that it includes an electronic compass (no need to be moving to know which direction is north) and also a barometric altimeter for more accurate altitude information.) For a local "Hands-On" option there is an event coming up in Hobart, at which I'm sure people would love to show off their Oregons - I'm hoping to be there, and will bring my Vista. That's assuming you are still in the Hobart area!

The event is 10 Years! Hobart, Australia

ftstn

Post by ftstn » 12 April 10 7:13 pm

yeah still in hobart, managed to kill my gps yesterday, got the fuzzy screen tried to fix it no it is not recieving any sat info at all, just checked the date unfortunatley i will be in the north that weekend

roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by roundcircle » 12 April 10 10:02 pm

Hi fstn,
I have a Legend HCx and an Oregon 300. Both have city navigator and shonky maps loaded. Both seem to have about the same level of accuracy.

I really like the Legend. It's nice and small and quite easy to use, though you to remember which buttons and in what order to do stuff. If you use it a bit that's not hard. The screen is small but nice and bright.

But if I had to choose between the Legend and an Oregon it'd be the Oregon every time. The touch screen makes it much easier to use. And it holds all the GeoCache info, like description and logs etc. I use it walking, driving and riding on the push bike. (I bought a RAM mount kit to go with it.)

Garmin seems to have an active development program, so the code for the 300 has been upgraded a few times with new features added each time. Where as the Legend hasn't moved. It's been very stable though.

Good luck.

ftstn

Post by ftstn » 17 April 10 10:41 pm

It lives my legend returned to life today :D still getting a new one have decided on the oregon, just a little less of a hurry now

maffu

JustinCBR
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by JustinCBR » 16 May 10 2:17 pm

Day 4 (16 caches so far) and I can report that the Dakota 20 is easy to use, even though the manual is next to useless. Biggest challenge is working out how to get free maps. Happy to answer any questions anyone has about the Dakota.