Newbie thread: Which GPS brand to buy - Garmin or Magellan?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Cached
2500 or more caches found

Newbie thread: Which GPS brand to buy - Garmin or Magellan?

Post by Cached » 27 September 07 12:55 pm

One of the most often asked questions is which brand of handheld GPS to buy?

As this thread is designed to be a sticky, please only post relevant information that will help a newcomer understand their possible purchase choice.

Offer your opinions and why below. Questions also welcomed as long as you've read the thread!

Cached

spikeyjen

Post by spikeyjen » 05 October 07 10:06 pm

it seems that reading through the threads most people prefer Garmin, but I'm not sure why

angermanagement
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by angermanagement » 06 October 07 9:55 am

When buying a new GPS recently the thing that swayed me from Magellan (my first GPS was a magellan) to Garmin was the fact that the geocaching.com website only supports garmin currently. That is you can only download caches direct to a garmin. Not to magellan.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 06 October 07 1:48 pm

We use both brands, and I really don't see any generic differences between them.

The only difference that matters beyond the features of the individual models is that there are, indeed, more Garmin-using geocachers, so help with use and repair issues, and availability of public domain maps, etc. seems easier to come by with them.

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 06 October 07 5:43 pm

Watching Bathurst at the moment and it really is a holden ford thing!
My advice is to try each model and brand that you are considering. Check the menu systems and features. Compare apples to apples and make an informed choice.
For my money you can't go past a Holden (garmin) but make up your own mind!
Regards
Crisp Image

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

who loves you baby?

Post by If » 22 November 07 10:53 pm

After many hours of long and involved thought on this topic, I have come to the conclusion that I luv my 'Garmin' because it is the only GPS I have owned :?
It has never let me down, it has suffered at the hands of If far beyond what any electronic device should have to endure but still faithfully guided me toward any point that I have told it to :D
After 3 years it bears many scars of falls down waterfalls, separating from the pushbike at 50km/h plus on a rough dirt road and being drowned on the front of the sea kayak for hours on end :shock:
If I can break my 76CS I will gladly trade it for a 76CSx :P

Tasgunsmith
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

TRITON 2000

Post by Tasgunsmith » 12 January 08 11:01 pm

Those interested in purchasing a new Triton may, as I have done, read many of the bad news stories going around some of the forums..... here is my experience thus far..... Due to the Tritons not yet being available in Australia I bought one from the US. It arrived five days ago and has taken that amount of time to figure out all of it's features. I have read a lot of posts about the unit being unreliable or hard to figure out. Most of this seems to be due to the instruction manual being too simplistic and incomplete and most expecting it to operate like all their past Magellans. After the big learning curve with lots of fiddling and head scratching I have found the unit to be a good one and I must add that everything works. The unit will freeze on occasions, usually due to operator error and pushing it to do something that you shouldn't, but, hey, what computer doesn't on occasions? Most of the features are a plus and once you get the hang of the format, easy to use. The Vantage software is just brilliant and seems to contain anything that is needed and yes files can be downloaded from geocaching. Just remember that the OS is nothing like what you are probably used to and it will take some time to get it all together...... I wanted to chuck it to the sh..house on numerous occasions but now the Explorist 500 is second fiddle.

Tankengine
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Tankengine » 16 February 08 11:51 pm

I was looking at getting a new GPS, and I admit, the Triton bad news stories convinced me to hold fire. Then I saw the new Garmin Colorado 300! I've always been a Garmin owner, but heard that the maps on the Magellans were better. - However, now that OZtopo 2 contour maps are our for the Garmin, it was now longer a difficult descision... I received my Colorado last week, and it's great! Being able to load GPX files of geocaches/logs straight from GSAK is a great bonus too!

HMAS MB
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by HMAS MB » 09 July 08 2:01 pm

I used to teach GPS in the Navy and I found it is really a Ford/Holden thing unless you want to pay really big money for commercial and/or Milspec ( which you cant get anyway).

Personally I love my Meridian Gold and wont be changing for a while(SWMBO wont let me anyway)

One thing I would point out a GPSr is only as good as the mapping software and the programmer, much like computer software really. Dont buy a noname brand cause its cheaper, In consumer electronics you really get what you pay for. And a Navman is designed for a car not the bush and other abuse we Geocachers dish out. I guess what I am saying is do your research first then buy. Dont rush out and buy the cheapest thing with all the bells and whistles, only to find it is not water or shock proof. I also have a MLR SP24 as my backup unit and for an older set it is great...plus it was my first. :D

highlucks

Re: Newbie thread: Which GPS brand to buy - Garmin or Magellan?

Post by highlucks » 20 December 10 5:45 pm

Hi all, I am looking to buy a GPS for my partner for christmas. She has taken an interest in bush walking and would like to venture down the Geo Caching path (pun intended :o )

I was looking for some suggestions for a good quality entry level GPS. The one that has caught our attention online is the Magellan Explorist GC. Is this a good unit, user friendly more specifically newby frinedly. We have a budget of around $300-350.

If this one is no good can you please suggest something that will suit an enthusiastic newby.

Cheers Camo

Cached

Post by Cached » 20 December 10 7:42 pm

It will do the job just fine, but reading the specs, it doesn't seem to paperless geocaching - you'd need to take the information about the caches separately, probably on paper.

You might be better looking at the Dakota 10 in your price range. http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/handheld-dakota-10-gps/

I personally use an Oregon, this is a slightly smaller version of the same thing, and I know many who are thrilled with them.

highlucks

Post by highlucks » 20 December 10 8:02 pm

Thanks for that, It was looking to be exactly what I would like to get her until I got to the Electric Compass (NO) line.

On that note how important is it to have an electric compass. I guess if you start at you car or designated starting point then with the track back feature you are 95% of the time pretty safe.

Cached

Post by Cached » 20 December 10 8:19 pm

I've never missed them when I haven't had them.

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 20 December 10 9:36 pm

Cached wrote:It will do the job just fine, but reading the specs, it doesn't seem to paperless geocaching - you'd need to take the information about the caches separately, probably on paper.

You might be better looking at the Dakota 10 in your price range. http://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/handheld-dakota-10-gps/

I personally use an Oregon, this is a slightly smaller version of the same thing, and I know many who are thrilled with them.

Sorry Cached but the Magellan eXplorist GCdoes a fine job for paperless caching. Mine is loaded with the whole east coast of Oz and has all the info that is contained on the cache page. Including images.

Cached

Post by Cached » 20 December 10 10:37 pm

The specs on JA didn't make that clear - run with either that or the Dak 10 then - they'd be equally as good.