New - want to geocache with my kids - what else do I need?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
octagonal

New - want to geocache with my kids - what else do I need?

Post by octagonal » 18 September 07 10:05 pm

I have an o2 Atom pda. Bluetooth works fine.

So what else do I need to start some simple geocaching?

I see bluetooth gps units on ebay for around 50 bucks - but I have no idea if this is all I need. I assume I need some software or some maps - do these units come with anything that works?

If it gets expensive am I better off getting a dedicated GPS unit of some sort?

I don't really need this for driving around - more for playing around and getting to some caches for fun.

What do I need and what sort of budget do I need to get started?

Cheers

octagonal

Post by octagonal » 18 September 07 10:59 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I've got a good idea that we can locate some local caches using directions we can decipher on this site and looking at the google maps link. No doubt that will get us started without any gps whatsoever.

What throws me, on this forum and on pda forums I read - is the suggestion that people use a pda+gps receiver+ something like tomtom. When I add the cost of all these I scratch my head and wonder why? All this gear and you still have to read maps on a mini screen out of the sunlight? Is a dedicated gps unit better?

My pda comes with no mapping/gps software whatsoever. So I figured I would need a gps receiver, some software to get it speaking with my pda and some software to do something with the gps data.

I am definitely interested in getting into this lo-tech, from both a cost and complication point of view. I want to be out there exploring with my kids, without making the "tech" stuff a focus of the exercise.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 18 September 07 11:01 pm

Welcome. Hope you have fun finding your first cache.
Get yourself a basic handheld GPS. I have a yellow Garmin etrex. I use it for caching and for navigation in the bush. Simple to use and it does the job of locating caches.
I bought mine new off ebay for just over $100 a few years ago.
It isn't loaded with any maps but I haven't really needed this feature. I use a good old street directory to find the best access and parking to caches. And I use google earth feeds to locate caches in an area. This is a great feature of GCA.ie Geocaching Australia. Just click on the link of this sites home page.
I also have an ipaq to store cache pages ,there fore no need to carry around lots of paper.
I guess i'm a bit of a no frills cacher. there are others out there who are very high tech in this" game".
Apart from there you may want to get a few "swaps' to leave in caches. Personally I don't do it for the swaps, and rarely leave any. ( Geokiddies tend to love to swap though) But I love the thrill of the hunt and the glory of finding a cache, especially one with a travel bug or geocoin inside.
Where in Sydney are you? If you need any help getting started send me a pm.

octagonal

Post by octagonal » 18 September 07 11:11 pm

We've discussed it and it sounds very mysterious and exciting for the "geokiddies" - so we will give it a go for sure.

What is a geocoin? I have read about them and seen some for sale. What do we do if we find one?

Re: swaps - what should we take to swap. Are small toys (lego-men etc) the right idea?

tronador

Post by tronador » 18 September 07 11:31 pm

A geocoin is a specially cast coin made for caching. There are lots of designs. If you find one you move them on to a new cache just like a travel bug. Both TB's and GC's have an ID no. on them. You log them on the web site, http://www.geocaching.com/track/ Take a look here!

Yes you can take small toys as swaps. things i have seen as swaps include, batteries, emergency blankets, small compasses on key chains, whistles, any sort of nic nac, small photo frames. Anything really. Take a look, in the $2 shop. Swaps do not need to be expensive but i have seen newly stocked caches with USB memory sticks in them and other such things. The general rule is swap fair. Take something and leave something of equal value. but you are not obliged to swap at all. All caches have a log book. this stays with the cache and you can write something then sign it. Don't forget to log your find on the web site once you get home.
Cheers
And have fun!

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 19 September 07 2:40 am

Note I haven't said anything.

Doh :?

Tis was a trap wasn't it. :evil:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 19 September 07 2:42 am

Welcome 8 sided friend.

We are all good folk.

Cept Shonky, Pesky and Mix.

Hope you enjoy our humble abode. :wink:

TeamJEKL
100 or more tracks walked

Post by TeamJEKL » 19 September 07 10:36 pm

Hiya Oct! I am pretty new here too and i also use an O2 atom and an ebay special bluetooth GPS. The only software i use is a program called BeeLine. It has a trial for 30 days and if you like it, it is only US$30 or you can uninstall it and reinstall it, but i didn't say that... I have 2 kiddies that we take with us and they have a ball. definatly check out that program though, because it also holds all the geocache pages (including hints) for all the geocaches you have loaded into it. once you get the hang of it it is pretty easy to keep uptodate. if you have any questions, feel free to PM or MSN me :) good luck with it all!

penguin
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by penguin » 19 September 07 10:42 pm

Probably the most important thing that you'll need is an understanding wife... :P

octagonal

Post by octagonal » 19 September 07 11:24 pm

Thanks for all the tips.

I have a few local caches identified that we will have a go at with no gps at all.

I have been doing a lot of reading and while a dedicated hand held unit seems to be the go (for ruggedness and waterproofing - if nothing else), it seems the combination of a bluetooth receiver; pda & either Beeline or GPS Tuner software will do the job I am after.

I am interested to hear about the "ebay specials". I am happy to spend the $50 or so, less happy to waste it. Seems that 42 channel receivers from Hong Kong can be had for this price.

The i-blue PS-737 is around $140 sourced locally and has good reviews - but is it worth the price in comparison to the ebay units?

Whilst I am not so interested in street maps, I have come across a fair amount of information. Does it seem about right that pda software and maps can be had for around $60 ?? Combined with the cheap bluetooth receivers this seems a very cheap option for anyone with a pda.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 20 September 07 8:12 am

octagonal wrote:I am interested to hear about the "ebay specials". I am happy to spend the $50 or so, less happy to waste it. Seems that 42 channel receivers from Hong Kong can be had for this price.

The i-blue PS-737 is around $140 sourced locally and has good reviews - but is it worth the price in comparison to the ebay units?

:shock: $140 is WAY over the top price wise. I have been buying several i-blue747 (similiar and includes datalogging capabilities) and they are way less than $140. :? A standard bluetooth GPS should be less than $100 IMO and anything more means than someone is making money off of you.

There is nothing wrong with ebay GPSr's per se, just be aware that the best bet is to buy a reputable brand......as most other ones are just cheaper rebranded versions (not that this is necessarily a bad thing in all cases). Good brands include GlobalSat, Holux, i-blue (Transystem)......though i reserve my opinion of the the i-blue range at this stage due to their poor software translation in the datalogger version.

hope this helps

mm

TeamJEKL

Post by TeamJEKL » 20 September 07 10:54 am

there is also a great deal of additional software mapping and otherwise you may be able to borrow from others to trial. i have found a very happy combination of tomtom and beeline (you can use a street directory of course).

octagonal

Post by octagonal » 21 September 07 10:43 am

Finding retail stores who even know what a bluetooth GPSr is a challenge.

Another question re: the ebay stuff.

Some come with a USB cable, others make no mention. Some 'data' usb cables go for around $20.00

Do I need to load the waypoint/cache data onto the GPSr or to the PDA? Either way, if these things are bluetooth, why would any cable be required?

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 21 September 07 12:35 pm

octagonal wrote:Do I need to load the waypoint/cache data onto the GPSr or to the PDA? Either way, if these things are bluetooth, why would any cable be required?
A low end bluetooth GPSr has no memory of its own and unlike a regular GPSr cannot store waypoints and tracks, it simply outputs its coordinates, your PDA does the rest. A USB cable would be for using with a device that doesn't have bluetooth (laptop computer).