Nuvi + POI + Caching

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found

Nuvi + POI + Caching

Post by nomad_penguin » 02 September 07 12:26 pm

A nuvi 310 was thrown in as part of a recent purchase. Seems ideal to navigate toward the cache (but not replace the GPSr). I have worked out how to convert gpx files to the required format on my mac (another complication).

However, the problem is, if I have too many POI, the maps no longer draw. They just hang with 'drawing ... ' on the top of a blank screen. I eventually worked out that it was the number of POI not something stupid that I had done (maybe).

Does anyone else use a nuvi and have this problem? Is there a good workaround? Are there other suggestions as to how one might make good use of a nuvi other than being a fancy street directory?

Suggestions please!

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 02 September 07 12:32 pm

I have a nuvi, and suffer the same... maybe a better choice would be just to load those POI's that were appropiate to the area in which you will be travelling

Will try this out on my next trip and see how it goes.

Generally thou I just use the Nuvi as it was intended, fancy street directory... My wife Clare loves our "Bitchin' Betty".. Thou"Betty" does get frustrated when I ignore her advice at times...

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 03 September 07 9:06 am

How many POI are you trying to enter?

I have a Nuvi 310 and use a GSAK macro to export around 500 POI. I have also updated the mapping by adding ShonkyMaps and Contours from the www.gpsaustralia.net/forums website and everything seems to work well together.

I reside in the Riverland and the Nuvi was not that good with some of the road navigation for some of the Riverland caches - for example Riverland Memories - Paringa Bridge (Renmark) and Bush Orchestra (Moorook).

One problem I do have is that the POI seems to display twice in different size font on the screen - I have no idea how this happens and would appreicate some assistance with this if anyone knows why.

Regards

Jardry

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Post by solomonfamily » 03 September 07 1:53 pm

King Solomon Snr has just got a 310 and we have been working through the issues.

Currently, I am still trying to figure out the best way they can be displayed. As I see it there are 2 options;

1) Export from GSAK to a gpx file and copy that file into the file system - the result is that the caches seem to display well but they all appear as a favorite and then the only way to clean that up is to then delete all - which of course removes any of your real favorites !

or

2) Export from GSAK to a gpx file and then use the POI loader - this has the advantage of them appearing as a category in the custom POI section but they dont seem to appear (does this happen to anyone else). There is also some additional information that appears depending on how it was exported for example %name %hint but I am still working on refining this to get the most information possible - does anyone have a suggestion about this? - Loading the proximity alert seems to reduce the information available.

I know it is not a PDA but I also want to find a way to display the cache details (espically for multies)

Any suggestions welcome

nomad_penguin

Post by nomad_penguin » 05 September 07 4:34 pm

Jardry wrote:How many POI are you trying to enter?

I have a Nuvi 310 and use a GSAK macro to export around 500 POI. I have also updated the mapping by adding ShonkyMaps and Contours from the www.gpsaustralia.net/forums website and everything seems to work well together.

I reside in the Riverland and the Nuvi was not that good with some of the road navigation for some of the Riverland caches - for example Riverland Memories - Paringa Bridge (Renmark) and Bush Orchestra (Moorook).

One problem I do have is that the POI seems to display twice in different size font on the screen - I have no idea how this happens and would appreicate some assistance with this if anyone knows why.

Regards

Jardry
Hi Jardry,

There must be more than 500 caches in the Adelaide CBD alone :shock: . Seriously, I was trying to add lots. Do you find it breaks after 500? I don't have the advantage of GSAK (mac user) so was just using the files I get as a premium member.

Can you tell me how you got the ShonkyMaps to the nuvi? I have downloaded them but am having problems now. A kick in the right direction would be great. I have found a PC to use MapSource (?) but some of the img files seemed to be corrupted (another story I guess). I am looking for another option.

I noticed that there is a new Riverland cacher. I'll have to go and put out a few more up that way to give you something to find :)

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jardry » 06 September 07 3:16 pm

I just downloaded the ShonkyMaps, Contours and Tracks4Australia files.

Mapsource then "found" the files. I then selected the Shonky Topo tiles and all the Contours and Tracks4Australia tiles and saved this as a mapset.

Then I transferred the map set via Mapsource to the 2Gb SD card I have for the Nuvi. That way all maps are available on the Nuvi.

On the Nuvi it is then a matter of going into the Nuvi settings (Map -> Map Info) and selecting ShonkyMaps Contours and Tracks4Australia as well as the City Navigator v7 maps and that was it.

I create smaller subsets for the Legend and transfer those map sets directly to the Legend.

Yeah - we've just about found all the Riverland caches other than those which require a boat to get to! LOL.

Regards

Jardry

nomad_penguin

Post by nomad_penguin » 06 September 07 5:04 pm

Thanks for the step by step instructions, Jardry. It was just what I needed to get (most of it) to work. I have loaded the T4Australia and Contours but am having a problem with the Shonkymaps :(. I have posted to the GPSAustralia forum so hopefully a solution will pop up from there.

I have looked at the shonkymaps in MapSource; they look great so I'm keen to get them working.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 06 September 07 6:46 pm

Thanks from me too, this sounds like it is the answer to my off road nightmares with the Nuvi 310

nomad_penguin

Post by nomad_penguin » 07 September 07 12:03 pm

nomad_penguin wrote: I have loaded the T4Australia and Contours but am having a problem with the Shonkymaps :(. I have posted to the GPSAustralia forum so hopefully a solution will pop up from there.
It appears that the file I downloaded was corrupted. I tried again this morning with no problems.

Things are looking distinctly shonky (the maps I mean, not the files, well not shonky as such, but they ARE shonkys, oh nevermind)!

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jardry » 07 September 07 12:12 pm

nomad_penguin wrote:Things are looking distinctly shonky (the maps I mean, not the files, well not shonky as such, but they ARE shonkys, oh nevermind)!
Good to know things are all well and that Shonky isn't a shonk after all!

Jardry