Best GPSr for a Beginner to buy

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Crystal Cacher

Best GPSr for a Beginner to buy

Post by Crystal Cacher » 26 August 07 5:51 pm

I am looking at buying an Etrex legend was wondering if one of the cheaper models will work just as well for some one new to Geocaching

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 26 August 07 6:16 pm

in short, YES, the cheaper model garmins and magellans are used by the majority of geocachers. There's a lot of threads in this section covering this topic... have a bit of a browse and see if they are of any help to you!

KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Twitter: Grumpykev

Post by KevL » 26 August 07 7:54 pm

In addition to the above, check carefully what comes with the GPS. The Legend comes with the pc cable whereas some of the cheaper units do not. The cable costs $30 odd. The cable makes adding waypoints sooo much easier.
Shop around for prices, especially online as prices vary enormously. I have a Legend purchased from Johnny Appleseed. Locally, in Toowoomba, no one could/would get to within $70 of JA's price. Most online stores are pretty competitive.
New H models are here/coming soon and should be a better buy as they have a more sensitive chip.

Kev

Cannibal Smurf

Post by Cannibal Smurf » 28 August 07 6:27 pm

Or for an extra $110 you can go high-tech and grab one of these http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/airis-t ... tionality/
Install Cachemate and get directions from your doorstep to the cache. Only thing it won't do is find it and log it for you.

Crystal Cacher

Post by Crystal Cacher » 28 August 07 11:27 pm

Wow ,Cannibal Smurf that PDA looks fantastic. If i had that much money I'd buy it. I've decided to go with the etrex Legend. basically because then you can download GPX files. which looks like it would make caching easier. Thanx for all your advice though

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 29 August 07 3:14 pm

Also worth thinking about how caching compatable it is ie will it still work after it gets droped on a rock or in a river etc :lol: .

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 29 August 07 5:22 pm

The best gps for caching ?? The one you can afford :wink: