New Magellan GPS Handhelds - Triton

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 01 October 07 1:59 pm

I wonder how they have implemented their touch screen? Hopefully it is of the skin touch variety, or the higher end models would be a real PITA to use in the field.

Edit: I wonder how many active waypoints it will support?

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 01 October 07 9:59 pm

Hello - Not sure about the touch screen or what you mean by "skin touch", assume you mean - will work if touched with finger (or any other appendage:). Thought all touch screens were of this type or theyd be "poke" screens (ie poke with a stick/pen). Anyway I can only assume it will be same as current touch screens on existing Magellan GPS units (eg Crossover..and any other "touch" screens on PDA etc I've seen) - use your finger or anything else you desire.

Cant find any info on active waypoints. Again, assume at least same as Explorist.

Cheers
Greg

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 01 October 07 10:58 pm

Capacitive touch screens, unlike the more common resistive, require the contact to be made using bare skin. This means you can throw it in your pocket without activating the screen. It also means you can't use a stylus, gloves, etc, for control.

As an example of a device using a capacitive touch screen, look at the iPhone.

The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 02 October 07 2:50 am

fehrgo wrote:Capacitive touch screens, unlike the more common resistive, require the contact to be made using bare skin. This means you can throw it in your pocket without activating the screen. It also means you can't use a stylus, gloves, etc, for control.

As an example of a device using a capacitive touch screen, look at the iPhone.
I knew that - just testing:) Suspect it is the more common version but dont actually know. Time will tell. I have survived in bush with touch screen PDA so cant see it being end of the world. 4 models with no touch screen so option to be cautious available for no real loss. More interested in mapping capabilities myself.

Cheers
Greg

rogainer
500 or more caches logged

Post by rogainer » 16 March 08 12:06 am

I was wandering around my local Anaconda store today (as you do...) and noticed a couple of tritons on display so naturally I had to have a closer look.

In answer to the type of touch screen, there is a small stylus tucked away in the housing, but menu icons are large enough to select with a finger touch.

Picked up a brochure, and they are offering 6 models 200,300,400,500,1500 and 2000. Touch screen is only on the 1500 and 2000 models.

Same mapping available as explorist range.

I must say I like the idea of the inbuilt torch and voice recorder (I think this would be great for recording your cache visits).

Having just used up my home credits by upgraded my PDA, I think I will have to stick with the Explorist XL for a little while longer...

rogainer

Post by rogainer » 09 July 08 10:07 am

Anybody using a Triton?

Just noticed that the firmware has been updated (read bugs fixed...) :-

http://www.nextdestination.com.au/Pages/News.aspx

team waldron
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by team waldron » 22 July 08 6:44 pm

Its a lot better after the last firmware upgrade. At least now it works.

Very good for paperless caching, lots of the advertised features aren't working properly yet.

Check out Tritonforum.com for more of a review of the known problems.