Nokia Bluetooth pairing with GPSr dodgy..

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

Nokia Bluetooth pairing with GPSr dodgy..

Post by Zytheran » 27 July 07 3:36 pm

I was getting close to giving up on ever using the Nokia E61 with my BT GPSr as it worked once but then never again. It simply wouldn't find the BT GPSr even though it was paired and had worked.
Appears there is bug in the Symbian 60 v3 BT Nokia stack that locks out a BT GPSr device from any Nokia software after it has been paired and then used once :oops:
This problem does not occur when using Java based software or SmartComGPS software, which uses a different BT stack.
I stumbled across the solution on the Nokia forum and basically requires you to unpair the BT GPSr before running the Nokia navigation software (Nokia Maps, Sports Tracker) and then rediscover the pairing from *within* the nav software. :roll:
i.e. Do *not* pair the device before starting up the nav software.
No idea of when or if there will a fix in the firmware.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 28 July 07 4:30 am

Do you have to re-pair every time you start the software?

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 01 August 07 12:26 pm

fehrgo wrote:Do you have to re-pair every time you start the software?
With the Nokia Applications, yep. :cry:
So basically, go to bluetooth setup, de-pair, start up software, go to use GPSr, tell it which bluetooth device to use, pair ir, put in passcode, then OK.
Pain in the effing arse..

Pairing works with BT headset, providing you get the sequence correct..
This technology still needs some work IMHO..

As opposed to just start up start up software and away you go, which other brands do. :)

The Nokia Sports Tracker software will get a serious tryout later today.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 02 August 07 7:40 am

I think I'm going to have to go have a wander around the bowels of the corporate Intranet for this one. Do you know if you are running the latest release for your phone? (updater is here)

I work in the mobile gaming side of the company, so bear with me if I'm not totally up on the software revs for the handsets. I would like to get this sorted out, though.

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by embi » 02 August 07 8:04 pm

I never have any problems with mine

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 06 August 07 12:09 am

fehrgo wrote:I think I'm going to have to go have a wander around the bowels of the corporate Intranet for this one. Do you know if you are running the latest release for your phone? (updater is here)

I work in the mobile gaming side of the company, so bear with me if I'm not totally up on the software revs for the handsets. I would like to get this sorted out, though.
Yep, phone is up to date. First thing I did when I got it.