Pocket Pocket Query: paperless geocaching for mobile phones

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
sentience

Post by sentience » 24 July 07 3:02 pm

Builds for the Motorola RAZR MAXX V6 and the LG U8330 are now available.
Is there a size limit on the size of the file to process?
I have a 1.2Mb file and it seems to time out and I get the following error:
"Error processing uploaded file".

Hence my wishlist request for multiple smaller files which could be selected from within the phone.
I had set an uploaded Pocket Query file size limit of 1MB, which should have allowed for at least 500 caches. Since some older phones will struggle with much more than 100 caches, this seemed reasonable to me.

I've now bumped the upload size limit to 2MB so that you can try your large file. Please let me know how (and if) it works for you.

anthony.sarah

Post by anthony.sarah » 24 July 07 3:46 pm

sentience wrote:Builds for the Motorola RAZR MAXX V6 and the LG U8330 are now available.
Is there a size limit on the size of the file to process?
I have a 1.2Mb file and it seems to time out and I get the following error:
"Error processing uploaded file".

Hence my wishlist request for multiple smaller files which could be selected from within the phone.
I had set an uploaded Pocket Query file size limit of 1MB, which should have allowed for at least 500 caches. Since some older phones will struggle with much more than 100 caches, this seemed reasonable to me.

I've now bumped the upload size limit to 2MB so that you can try your large file. Please let me know how (and if) it works for you.
I uploaded the JAR and JAD to my U8330. When I run the application I am presented with a "Loading GeoCaches" message then after a short delay I receive an "Error Loading GeoCaches!" message. I have attempted this twice, once using a pocket query with 500 caches and the second time using a pocket query with only 100 caches. I ended up with the same result both times.

sentience

Post by sentience » 24 July 07 5:29 pm

anthony.sarah wrote:I uploaded the JAR and JAD to my U8330. When I run the application I am presented with a "Loading GeoCaches" message then after a short delay I receive an "Error Loading GeoCaches!" message. I have attempted this twice, once using a pocket query with 500 caches and the second time using a pocket query with only 100 caches. I ended up with the same result both times.
Thanks for the problem report! I'll be in touch over email to see if we can solve the problem.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 24 July 07 5:54 pm

I just tried the updated V360 version and it seems to be working well :)

II couldn't actually see much difference from the first version I tried :P

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 24 July 07 6:26 pm

Just out of interest I've just downloaded it onto my PALM TX :shock:

I had to flip the screen to see all the info but it works :)

It won't replace Cachemate or GeoNiche but it's nice to have an alternative

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 24 July 07 8:22 pm

sentience wrote:I've now bumped the upload size limit to 2MB so that you can try your large file. Please let me know how (and if) it works for you.
Downloaded and seems to have worked, haven't yet scrolled through and counted the number of caches listed.

Perhaps another tab with some basic stats might be a good addition so that users can quickly see just how many caches are loaded onto their phone.

Regards

Jardry

sentience

Post by sentience » 25 July 07 9:37 pm

rhinogeo wrote:Just out of interest I've just downloaded it onto my PALM TX :shock:

I had to flip the screen to see all the info but it works :)
Thanks for the report! If you'd like me to put some time into producing a build that will fit the Palm TX's screen, let me know and I'll look into it.

sentience

Post by sentience » 25 July 07 9:40 pm

Jardry wrote:Downloaded and seems to have worked, haven't yet scrolled through and counted the number of caches listed.
You'd be seeing an error message at some point if there had been a problem. I expect you've got all your caches loading.
Perhaps another tab with some basic stats might be a good addition so that users can quickly see just how many caches are loaded onto their phone.
I'll modify the startup screen to show loading progress (including the total cache count). If you can think of any other stats that would be useful to have access to, however, let me know.

diesel69
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by diesel69 » 26 July 07 7:57 am

Do you have /can you do a version for a Samsung SGH-A501?

mightybent
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by mightybent » 26 July 07 11:52 am

Can I add the LG U890 to the list.

I was just thinking it was time to buy a Palm Pilot so this might save me the need.

Thanks - looks like a great application.

sentience

Post by sentience » 26 July 07 3:19 pm

diesel69 wrote:Do you have /can you do a version for a Samsung SGH-A501?
Samsung likes to use different model numbers for the Australian versions of its phones. The A701, for example, is called (variously) the Z560 or the SYNC A707 overseas. Generally, if I can get the information about the equivalent overseas model, I'm able to support the device.

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty tracking down information about the A501, and to which overseas model(s) it is equivalent. I've requested these details from Samsung's developer support, and hope to hear back from them in the next few days.

sentience

Post by sentience » 26 July 07 3:28 pm

mightybent wrote:Can I add the LG U890 to the list.
This phone looks to be equivalent (in Java programming terms) to the CU500 and the TU500. Could you try downloading and installing the experimental version for one of those phones and let me know how it works for you?

If you need help installing the application on your phone, the GThing web site seems to be the place to go for help with LG phones.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 27 July 07 1:49 pm

Oh, dear. Have we broken ppquery.com?

It worked last night (but not with my GSAK-generated PQ) but it's unavaileable this morning.

sentience

Post by sentience » 27 July 07 2:15 pm

Hmm ... found and fixed some breakage on the download page, but the site itself has remained online without interruption as far as I can tell.

Try again?

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 27 July 07 2:49 pm

Yep, our end, methinks. I just tried another DNS server and can now see it OK. Now, to try it out!

A few moments later:

Well, that works quite well on the V360 (slow, of course, but so is every other Java app on this phone!)

I'm more likely to leave the phone behind than I am the Palm, but it's nice to have a backup!

I still want a simple "magic arrow" app on the phone, pairing to my BT GPSr...