Pocket Pocket Query: paperless geocaching for mobile phones

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
sentience

Post by sentience » 22 July 07 10:34 am

Support for the K610i is now live. Let me know how it works for you! :)

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 22 July 07 12:03 pm

Kevin,

Worked a treat. Will be going out later today to see how it compares to the Palm which uses Cachemate.

Wishlist - Eventually would it be possible to have multiple zip files and select which file to load.

Regards

Jardry

sentience

Post by sentience » 22 July 07 1:44 pm

Jardry wrote:Worked a treat. Will be going out later today to see how it compares to the Palm which uses Cachemate.
I'm anxious to hear how they compare, because I've never used Cachemate.
Wishlist - Eventually would it be possible to have multiple zip files and select which file to load.
Cache sets, huh? That would certainly be possible. But would being able to merge multiple ZIP files and then list caches in order of nearness to your current location, a selected cache, or an arbitrary location be just as good?

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jardry » 22 July 07 2:29 pm

Hi Kevin,

I'm still a novice cacher, so it may be that my method needs improving rather than your pocket pocket query.

I commute each week for work, so ideally I would like to be able to differentiate cache locations near my work, near my home, and along the route from home to work.

I have combined them into one file for the moment.

I suppose what I'm not clear about is how the application determines nearby caches. Can I assume it is detected based on which tower is picking up the mobile phone signal? If so, then there is no need for multiple files in the way I was thinking (if this all makes sense to you).

Regards

Jardry

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 23 July 07 2:23 am

Seems to run on the Nokia E61 OK.
Uses left 4/5th of screen though..

Is there a way of getting the caches to be listed alphabetically?

sentience

Post by sentience » 23 July 07 10:12 am

Jardry wrote:I commute each week for work, so ideally I would like to be able to differentiate cache locations near my work, near my home, and along the route from home to work.
With the features I have planned, you would be able to store the coordinates of your work, your home, and key points along your route. You would then be able to select "List near...", select one of those stored locations, and PPQ would display a list of the caches beginning with the one closest to that location. Caches closer to other locations would then be at the bottom of the list.

Once I've got this working, if you still feel the ability to browse discrete "cache sets" would be useful, feel free to get back in touch. It should be relatively easy to implement.
I suppose what I'm not clear about is how the application determines nearby caches. Can I assume it is detected based on which tower is picking up the mobile phone signal? If so, then there is no need for multiple files in the way I was thinking (if this all makes sense to you).
There's nothing anywhere near as fancy as what you are suggesting going on. In the current beta, the caches are simply listed in the order in which they appear in the pocket query data. Upcoming versions will add the functionality I described above.

sentience

Post by sentience » 23 July 07 10:23 am

Zytheran wrote:Seems to run on the Nokia E61 OK.
Uses left 4/5th of screen though..
I've now deployed a version specifically for the E61, which should fill the screen.
Is there a way of getting the caches to be listed alphabetically?
Good idea! I'll add this to my plans for an upcoming release.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 23 July 07 4:22 pm

homedg wrote:
Will it work on my Blackberry Pearl?
Yes, that device is supported. I've seen a couple of problems reported with Java applications on that device, but I'll build you a version and you can let me know if you notice anything wrong.
Which version should I run for the Blackberry 8100 (Pearl)? Thanks

sentience

Post by sentience » 23 July 07 4:44 pm

Homedg, please see my post above. I am unable to provide support for BlackBerry devices just yet.

anthony.sarah

Post by anthony.sarah » 23 July 07 5:06 pm

I Have Sent You An E-Mail Message Expressing Interest In A Version Of The Software To Suit The LG U8330

powellbruce
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by powellbruce » 23 July 07 7:16 pm

A very Quick play seams to work on the Motorola V6 Razr will have more of a play during the week.
Looks like a very handy piece of gear.

sentience

Post by sentience » 23 July 07 7:28 pm

anthony.sarah wrote:I Have Sent You An E-Mail Message Expressing Interest In A Version Of The Software To Suit The LG U8330
Haven't received your email for some reason. As with the other LG models mentioned in this thread, solid data on this phone is difficult to come by; however, I'll get an experimental build together for you and you can let me know how (and if) it works.

sentience

Post by sentience » 23 July 07 7:29 pm

powellbruce wrote:A very Quick play seams to work on the Motorola V6 Razr will have more of a play during the week.
Looks like a very handy piece of gear.
Thanks for the report! I'll put together a build especially for this device and let you know when it's available.

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Jardry » 24 July 07 9:28 am

Hi Kev,

Is there a size limit on the size of the file to process?
I have a 1.2Mb file and it seems to time out and I get the following error:
"Error processing uploaded file".

Hence my wishlist request for multiple smaller files which could be selected from within the phone.

Jardry

anthony.sarah

Post by anthony.sarah » 24 July 07 11:15 am

sentience wrote:
anthony.sarah wrote:I Have Sent You An E-Mail Message Expressing Interest In A Version Of The Software To Suit The LG U8330
Haven't received your email for some reason. As with the other LG models mentioned in this thread, solid data on this phone is difficult to come by; however, I'll get an experimental build together for you and you can let me know how (and if) it works.
Not sure why the email message didn't make it through.

Thank you and looking forward to the build :-)