PVC Caches...how to make?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bunya

Post by Bunya » 17 July 07 6:07 pm

I think a bit of negativity is needed here :twisted:

My hands are affected by arthritis, so I don't like finding a cache made out of PVC pipe - they are so damn hard for me to open (and then to close properly).

I didn't mention this before as I thought it might be a lone gripe.
But I just found this http://www.todayscacher.com/2006/nov/containers.asp about containers, which includes the following:

"PVC pipe
Pros: Easy to hide, custom made and can be any size you want, easily camouflaged, paintable. Inexpensive if you already have the parts around.
Cons: Leak if not tightened firmly. Hard to open if tightened firmly. Similarity to pipe bombs and can cause public alarm if accidentally discovered. Can be very expensive if you have to buy all the parts."

Just something to consider . . . :)

boxsey

Post by boxsey » 17 July 07 8:52 pm

Hmmm. Pipe bombs? Apart from using some other plastic container, the only other good option may be the ammo box...but I live in an area where if you found an ammo box lying around in the bush, you'd assume it dropped off the back of an army truck. Kinda makes me reluctant to go there.
The last few caches i have visited in town and easily accesseble by thier owners have been simple plastic pots and containers....maybe i should stick to stuff very close to home and easy to get to and go that route. I had grand visions of placing them in less built up areas though, within a couple hours of me.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 July 07 9:46 pm

Refer my earlier post.
Bazooka not pipe bomb :-)

I think the pipe bomb look is the narrower PVC pipe (25mm?), not the 90 or 100mm PVC. 100mm PVC does not look like the traditional pipe bomb.

If you use a rubber O ring (in the 100mm PVC screw on cap), there is little likelihood of water damage, although I would always place the swaps in plastics bags just in case.

The problem of a cap being screwed on too tight is a definite problem but not one that is restricted to PVC containers. Any screw top jar may have the same problem.

Ammo cans don't have to be lying on the ground either.
There's one under that smallish pile of rocks, unlikely to be discovered.

There's also one in the middle of the tree, center of picture under some rocks and twigs.

Best way to work out what works in your area? Have a go.

boxsey

Post by boxsey » 18 July 07 12:48 pm

whats the dimensions of those ammo boxes then? I am imagining something at least a foot long....do they come smaller than that?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 July 07 12:49 pm

My .30 calibre cans are about the same size as a two liter sistema container.
In fact, I put a two liter container INSIDE the ammo can for double water protection and keeping the swaps clean of any rust, etc.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 18 July 07 1:28 pm

Geez C@W, if I found one of those caches, I would probably take the sistema container as a swap item, just right for my next cache. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Bundy

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 18 July 07 1:50 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Geez C@W, if I found one of those caches, I would probably take the sistema container as a swap item, just right for my next cache. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers
Bundy
I know you're not serious, but there was this:
Grank wrote:
caughtatwork wrote: I always put a 2liter sistema in my ammo cans. Double waterproofing, more durability and you can just open the sistema to get at any swaps you want to make.
I did that once ... and somone swapped it out :lol: . Do you make a note in the cache page? I didn't so all's fair.
from this thread. :?

Pity - it does seem like a great idea if you could be sure it stayed there.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 July 07 2:00 pm

AAAAaaaaahhhhhh Tassie :oops: Image

Phetlern

Post by Phetlern » 23 July 07 10:18 pm

This post seems to have wandered from PVC to cache construction in general, so my two bobs worth ........ what's wrong with SPC/Ardmona screw top containers. They are neat, compact, water tight and have easily removed lids. They seem to be all the go in Tassie. :D

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 24 July 07 9:41 am

Phetlern wrote:This post seems to have wandered from PVC to cache construction in general, so my two bobs worth ........ what's wrong with SPC/Ardmona screw top containers. They are neat, compact, water tight and have easily removed lids. They seem to be all the go in Tassie. :D
<p>
I've just started using a couple of these - have given them a paint job to try and preserve it .... I would be interested to find out how long they last out in the elements, how long until the plastic becomes brittle/breaks etc....

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 24 July 07 11:29 am

Phetlern wrote: ........ what's wrong with SPC/Ardmona screw top containers. They are neat, compact, water tight and have easily removed lids. They seem to be all the go in Tassie. :D
You need to wash them out real well so there is no hint of the previous contents remaining. Over here I've come across a few that have been chewed into because the local wildlife population take them on as a challenge once they get a sniff of peach juice.

Small I know, but big enough to let the water flow come the next rainfall.

Apart from that though they seem to last quite well, the plastic holds up to the elements from what I've seen and the number one thing going for them is they are free. . . . . once you eat the contents :)