Garmin gpsmap60 series...

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
38 degrees south
1100 or more caches found

Garmin gpsmap60 series...

Post by 38 degrees south » 04 July 07 3:36 pm

Gday...

We have been geocaching over a year now and have bagged 170odd finds and 1FTF so far, but unfortunately haven't yet had the chance to go to any caching events.

We are considering buying a Garmin gpsmap60CSx.

My question... does the Garmin 60series (particularly the CSx model) show the 'goto' DISTANCE to a selected waypoint to the same ORDER of accuracy as say an e-trex model? We currently use a Garmin GPS12 and it will only give the 'goto' distance to a waypoint to the nearest 10m. This always provides us with a nice GPS 'dance' when near or under 10m from a GZ. We then have to wholly rely on the bearing on screen and then referencing that to the sun for orientation or pulling out the compass!

I'll try explaining it a little clearer...

Our gps12 will only show an accuracy within the goto screen to the nearest 10m. ie, it will only show that we are either 10m OR 0m from the goto co-ordintes - nothing in between. It basically creates a search area around the GZ of a 10m radius (in which our GPSr will show 0m)!

In regards to a 60CSx, I guess I'm asking in particular about the 'order of accuracy', not the actual accuracy (does the screen show it to the nearest 10 metres [as ours does], or to the nearest 1m, or nearest 0.1 of a metre or to the nearest .01 of a metre) of the position of any waypoint that is shown on the GOTO screen?

I borrowed an etrex for a weekend and to have the distance to a waypoint showing to an accuracy order of 0.1 of a metre is fantastic - though I know as a surveyor that showing a distance to that sort of accuracy is well and truly over and above what I would expect of my GPSr! - it's just nice to see something under 10m!

We realise that our current GPSr will always get us to within the 10m no worries, and in most cases to a successful cache find, but to have that next order of accuracy for the computed distance to GZ would be great! Oh, and we think the electronic compass would be cool too!

happy and safe caching...

regards,

38degsouth
Last edited by 38 degrees south on 04 July 07 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 04 July 07 3:46 pm

G'day

Welcome to the forums.

I have a Garmin 60CSx but I wouldn't have a clue about its accuracy with other units and I really not so sure your example is a reflection of accuracy either.

You appear to be assuming that the given coordinates are accurate, have a virtually zero error rate, perfect coverage on the day and so on and that you are in a similar position when hunting for it days, months, or years later.

That all said, I do find the 60CSx is good at getting a lock, holding a lock and does more frequently give me a 0 metres reading than my Geko 301. However as per above that does not mean the cache is there. I had one on Monday that was 7 metres away from where my 60CSx was reading 0 metres.

Regards
Andrew

38 degrees south

Post by 38 degrees south » 04 July 07 4:00 pm

Hi Aushiker

thanks for your very prompt reply!

i'm asking in particular about the 'order of accuracy', not the actual accuracy (ie does the screen show it to the nearest 10 metres [as ours does], or to the nearest 1m, or nearest 0.1 of a metre or to the nearest .01 of a metre) of the position of any waypoint that is shown on screen?

an example might help me explain this....

my gps12 will only show an accuracy within the goto screen to the nearest 10m. ie, it will only show that we are either 10m OR 0m from the goto co-ordintes - nothing in between. It basically creates a search area around the GZ of a 10m radius (in which our GPSr will show 0m)!

oh, yes I do understand that this does not reflect the actual position of the cache, but it would just be good to see the GPSr give us an idea of the position under 10m.

Thanks again

regards

38degsouth
Last edited by 38 degrees south on 04 July 07 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 04 July 07 4:03 pm

38 degrees south wrote:i'm asking in particular about the 'order of accuracy' of the position of any waypoint that is shown on screen, rather than the accuracy of the actual unit.
Whoops :oops: I misunderstood you.

I am not 100% sure (don't have the unit with me) but I am pretty sure it does what you want, i.e., show the actual predicted distance to the cache. You can also get a via road measure and a how the crow flies measure.

Regards
Andrew

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 04 July 07 6:59 pm

Yep, familiar with both.
You are right about the 12. It sux. Might get you within coooe on a good day.
The 60CSx on the other hand will lead you right to the cache down a hole in the middle of a forest. If you pause on the way the arrow keeps pointing the right direction, and at GZ the distance says 2m to waypoint, but that's only because the cache wasn't hidden with a 60CSx so the co-ordinates are probably 2m out. :lol:

Knot_gillty
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Knot_gillty » 04 July 07 8:07 pm

It shows the "goto" distance in 1 meter increments. Hope this helps.

And the 60CSx is the best unit you can buy......can of worms??

38 degrees south

Post by 38 degrees south » 04 July 07 9:16 pm

Thanks guys,

I was pretty much sold on the idea of a 60CSx already, I just wanted to make sure that it showed the distance to a goto waypoint in less than 10m increments. Cool, you've all been a great help!

I will most likely be purchasing the 60CSx and putting the Garmin12 into 'backup' status ie storage. I got the 12 as a replacement for a Garmin10 that was stolen from my house. I had bought that unit years before selective availabilty was even turned off!

I just can't believe that I hadn't discovered Geocaching earlier!! Here I was driving and walking past all these stashes and my GPSr was hardly being used sitting at home!! I only found out about it all after a workmate accidentally stumbled across a cache - he knew instantly that I'd be into it! And he was right! BTW, he left a Tim-Tam and didn't write in the log...... I now know this is WRONG!!

thanks again...

regards

Dean
38degsouth

Argon

Post by Argon » 06 August 07 10:44 pm

Incidentally i just picked up a 60CSx from http://www.geomangear.com/ last week, excellent service fast and cheap shipping. ordered Thursday night arrived on the following Tuesday. And with the exchange rate so good at the moment it tipped me into buying it. I also e-mailed them and they also supplied me with brackets for the device also.

By the way i've done my first two geocahes tonight. They were almost in my backyard. :D