Looking for topo map data in .shp files, better than 250k

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
magneto

Looking for topo map data in .shp files, better than 250k

Post by magneto » 16 March 04 4:44 pm

I took some datasets from the free downloads area at www.ga.gov.au and managed to make a fairly decent topographical map using free software called GPSMapEdit. It can export .IMG files so it would be possible to load them to the GPS if necessary. Unfortunately 250k isn't much detail. Does anyone know where 100k or 50k or better topo map data might be available? I don't want to have to buy CDs as it's just for fun and personal use.

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 17 March 04 4:30 pm

Slightly OT - I've seen Spindoc Bob (and now Magneto) post references to freely available topo data at GA, but I can't seem to find it. Anybody got a link to the relevant bit on their site?

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 17 March 04 4:59 pm

Tolmh,

http://www.ga.gov.au/download/nmd_download/

Magneto,
I'm not sure such a thing exists for free.

- Rog

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 17 March 04 10:09 pm

250k is the best I've got. I've been working on the detail side of things - assigns categories of roads to each one.

I've noticed when I enter the roads shapefile (xxxx_v_l.shp), they can only be one type. This is the tidious process. Any one know a better way? Any one know of a way of doing it on a Mac?

magneto

Post by magneto » 18 March 04 12:01 pm

What's needed (apart from some free 100k or 50k maps) is a better mapping of GA or other source shape file data to Garmin symbols. My process now is to import features in sets. For example the 'c' files (contours) I use the lines (no names) and make them all "intermediate contours", I import the points file and use the elevation data for each point and I don't don't use the polygon data at all. For '3' files (reservations) I use lines (choosing a nice border color that gives good contrast against the polygons) with no names, polygons to represent the forests (no names) and the point data for the names.

This approach gives one kind of symbol per shape file as you say, so all contours are the same weight, all parks the same color etc. A way to get around it would be to pre-process the shape files to separate them further so that intermediate and major contours are added by importing two different 'c' file sets, or with the '3' files they would separate into State park, National park, Water catchment sets etc. The alternative would be to fix the mapping between GA's feature designations and GPSMapEdit's import engine.

I'd REALLY like to create a free topo map set covering the whole country that could be used by ordinary people with MapSource alone. If the mapping could be fixed that would become possible.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 18 March 04 3:09 pm

Sounds like either way, it's a bit of work. Well here is my contribution to the Australian map cause. Canberra version 1.0.1

It's not perfect, but it's a start. BTW - Any one using this does so at their own risk. I hold no responsibilty for any errors or accidents caused by its use.

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 18 March 04 6:57 pm

Accidents? You mean like exporting Canberra v1.0.1 to an OziExplorer map and then watching smoke pour out of your boxen while it tries to open a 285mb bitmap? ;)

Anyways, really nice job. Much prettier than the two '50km/h streets' maps I spliced together! :D

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 18 March 04 9:41 pm

It is a work in progress :lol: .

Me thinks it may always will be.

tolmh

Post by tolmh » 19 March 04 10:29 am

Incidentally, if anybody wants to see my - ahem - highly artistic map, you can get a zip with the map image (in .bmp format), the OziExplorer .map file to go with it and a collection of waypoints for Canberra metro caches here. It's about 1.3mb.

As I mentioned earlier, it's just a splice of a two maps showing which streets are now 50km/h zones. I found 'em on a Canberra cycling website. They're prolly copyright to ACTLIC or Urban Services or some other ACT gubmint body. By the time I resized them then ran a few filters over them to get rid of noise they ended up with an interesting red and blue 'pen and ink' look, so I'm claiming that the final map is art, not a copyright violation ;)

Obviously you can't upload this to a GPS, but it is handy for getting an idea where caches are in relation to streets and to each other. For example, the map makes it pretty obvious how to get pretty close to places like 'Wanniassa Wander', 'Tennis and Trees' and 'Torture Time' by road. It should be pretty accurate - I calibrated it with six points using Magellan Mapsend S&D NSW.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 19 March 04 10:51 am

Getting a bit OT now, but for Canberra maps I use the 1:100,000 scale Canberra maps on the NSW LPI's State View CD (maps 24 and 25). It shows most streets, but only major streets/roads are named. The CD is $30, and includes NSW coverage as a bonus.

My wife is currnetly hassling me to buy the UBD CD for Canberra though. As you probably know, you need to do a big copy/paste/calibrate job to get these maps into Ozi, and I was foolish enough to tell her that this was possible.

magneto

Post by magneto » 19 March 04 6:17 pm

Nice Canberra map - you must have spent a long time working out the zoom levels.
<p>
Anyway, I had some ideas about working with GPSMapEdit. When you import data you have the choice of selecting the symbol from the list of possible Garmin symbols (one tab), with the symbol and hex ID shown, or you have the option of selecting a column (the other tab)
<p>
So what if you produced a translator that would process batches of shape files and produce shape files with the correct Garmin symbol ID (hex value) in one of the columns that you would select on import? You'd have all the right symbols, road lines that vary in weight etc. because the translator would replace FEAT_CODE or some other convenient field with the right value for GPSMapEdit to interpret as a Garmin firmware symbol. From the ESRI shapefile spec it looks like only the DBF files in the shape data would need to be edited.
<p>
Someone who _really_ knows MS Access could probably do this fairly quickly. I've successfully opened and viewed the .dbf files that come with the shape data and if would certainly be possible to edit them this way.
<p>
The ideal situation would be one 'l', one 'r' and one 'p' file. Each of the three files would contain everything from contours to creeks. Once you've imported each of the files, you have your map. I suppose you could further refine this by creating sets per zoom level.