shonkymaps online

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 02 July 08 4:30 pm

Udderchaos wrote:50 minutes for me on motel broadband
Woohoo, 25 minutes at work... :shock:

matmob
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by matmob » 03 July 08 10:25 am

Hi Shonkylogic
Thanks for calling in to the PO recently and saying hi to Mr matmob. I recently downloaded your maps, no problem downloading, and no problem getting it to the GPSr. We used it to find our first cache in a rural area using a map and found it fantastic. However, when we switched the GPSr back on for another cache later on, the map was simply not there. This happened to us recently when we went to New Zealand. I downloaded a free map from the net, it showed as being on the GPSr, when we got to NZ it was gone. Is it something to do with the way I am loading it on? We bought the Garmin 60csx from America, and it came pre-loaded with the American base map, this is all that seems to stay on there. Maybe we should have bought from an Aussie :oops:

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 03 July 08 4:37 pm

Hi matmob,

I think the maps will only "appear" if you are in the area in which you have downloaded the map for. So unless you've downloaded the whole shonkymaps onto a SD card and the GPSr has a SD card slot, you'll have to load each mapset upto the limit of what the memory is onboard the GPSr.

Jardry

(I'm sure someone else with more experience will be able to give a better answer)

Skippy&lambchops
3000 or more caches found

Post by Skippy&lambchops » 03 July 08 6:05 pm

Hi Julie,

Shonkys maps don't cover New Zealand, or did you mean you downloaded the NZ version and if so you need to Untick Shonkmaps and tick NZ topo maps on

Cheers Skippy

jusojara

Post by jusojara » 20 April 09 11:37 pm

Has anyone had problems with Mapsource, Vista & Shonkymaps combo.

When I downloaded the maps and installed them my Mapsource would not work. When I deleted the maps my Mapsource started working again.

Does anyone know if there is something I can do to Vista to make them work. I didn't have this problem with XP.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 21 April 09 9:36 am

In what folders did Mapsource and Shonkymaps go into :?:

Both should go into C drive I always allow Shonky to be installed into program files/Shonkymaps and never had a problem .

Also what version Mapsource are you using

jusojara

Post by jusojara » 21 April 09 1:35 pm

Thanks - I just let Shonky install into the folder it wanted to, I didn't save it somewhere else.

I have some other issues with Vista at the moment so I am going to do a system restore tonight and then reload Shonky and see what happens.

homedg
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by homedg » 10 May 09 7:57 pm

Just wondering if this is the most recent revision for Shonky Maps?

V3.51 23.10.2007

i LURV being SHONKY!
:D :lol: :D :lol:

shonkylogic
1600 or more caches found

Post by shonkylogic » 11 May 09 11:37 am

homedg wrote:Just wondering if this is the most recent revision for Shonky Maps?

V3.51 23.10.2007

i LURV being SHONKY!
:D :lol: :D :lol:
Yes, this is the most recent version. GA have since completely changed their file structure, and I don't time or inclination to work on another version <p> In any case commercial topo products are now starting to become available, and OSM is also getting better all the time, so the relevance of shonkymaps will diminish over time.

smerrall
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by smerrall » 11 May 09 11:47 am

Although I use OSM about the city, I like to add the Shonky transparent contour layer to it. Combine the best of both worlds.

Thistledown

Re: shonkymaps online

Post by Thistledown » 19 July 09 6:20 pm

Just finished downloading..took me about 1 &1/2 hours. Looking forward to installing and trying out in my new Garmin Legend HCx :)

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 23 July 09 8:03 pm

Can shonkymaps be used on a HP Jornada 568 Pocket PC? :?:

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 23 July 09 10:39 pm

Possibly if you can run mapsource. But you'd probably be better off with Ozi Explorer. Have a look at www.gpsaustralia.net there are some keen people over there that try to run shonkymaps on all sorts of devices.

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 23 July 09 10:48 pm

shonkylogic wrote:Possibly if you can run mapsource. But you'd probably be better off with Ozi Explorer. Have a look at http://www.gpsaustralia.net there are some keen people over there that try to run shonkymaps on all sorts of devices.
Thank you i will have a look.

malstew

Post by malstew » 09 August 09 12:09 am

Thanks Shonky, I was put on to this a while ago from a Adelaide guy who was planning a big 4WD trip up through the desert. I was a little concerned when I was about to load this on to REX. Nothing to worry about at all, they are fantastic

Got to say no regrets, only use mine for caching but have to say many a cacher ends up on the wrong side of the creek or river whilst out hunting. That wont happen to me again, thank you thank you thank you.

I did notice on one of the forums an Amercan couple coming to Oz had downloaded them.
Hey your an international hit now. Congrats.

Thanks Again

Mal.
(The Penny_Drops)