shonkymaps online

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 25 August 07 11:08 am

Thanks, that makes it all clear.

MODU
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by MODU » 26 August 07 10:50 pm

Sunshine Toledo wrote:Shonky:
This mapping stuff is all new to me. I use a Garmin Vista Cx and in the past I must have downloaded T4A. Don't know how I did it but I have been using it but I notice that when using the mapping screen the arrow often goes off the road which indicates to me that the map isn't exactly accurate.
I have just now downloaded onto the Garmin your maps for our area and although it took a while to master I got them on. I noticed that it deleted the T4A maps too.
Anyway, my question is that I notice that I can upload from the GPSr; maps, tracks etc to the mapping on the PC. What will that do before I try it? Will it draw the tracks etc onto the existing maps and update the mapping on the PC to be more accurate?? Thanks for any help. ST.
I spent a lot of time trying to get the shonky maps on the Vista cx with no luck even updated the firmware and then the whole thing lost the plot and so we had to go back to the previous version and havent been game to try the maps since. Although I did put the card back in at one stage and the vista seemed to go haywire again os i removed it quicksmart. Id there something I am missing??
MODU.

shonkylogic
1600 or more caches found

Post by shonkylogic » 28 August 07 10:25 pm

Sorry MODU<p>

I don't have a Vista to try them on. You could try posting the question on the forum at <a target="_blank" href="http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/show ... ?t=2525</a> to see if anybody over there has them working with a Vista<p>

Or else I'll see you at the next lunch even if I can get there and we can have a chat about it...<p>

shonkylogic.

Sunshine Toledo

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 29 August 07 10:58 am

MODU: Are you asking about putting the shonkymaps on the Vista CX. If you are, I put them on the Vista the other day when I wrote that bit above and they are working fine. I have just walked outside now and around the yard and they are working AND the GPSr is performing well. You will need the card in though as they take up quite some space. Make sure the card is in and locked down too as mine was bumped once and popped out and I wondered what was wrong. Also don't take the card in/out when it is working, only when it is off cos sometimes they might interfere with it working properly. Not absolutely sure tho.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 10 September 07 8:52 pm

I found an interesting thing on a website today.

If you go to garmin and download the training program, install, then download mapsource update and install, it will work without a previous mapsource installation.

it's probably not supposed to, but there's no hacks or cracks needed to make it work.

http://www.malsingmaps.com/wiki/index.p ... rce_viewer

Wayne Paul

Magellan Explorist

Post by Wayne Paul » 25 September 07 5:52 am

Hi Shonky,

I downloaded your maps onto my RINO 520. They are working a treat. Great work mate, much appreciated for all your efforts.

My nephew has a Magellan Explorist that he uses for caching and although all the threads in this forum refer to use with Garmin GPSr's, I was wondering if these maps would work on the Magellan system?

If not, is there a version available that does?

Keep up the good work mate. - Wayno. :D

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 03 October 07 11:30 pm

I was wondering if these maps would work on the Magellan system?
Funny you should ask. There are some very keen people here http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/show ... php?t=2824 that are trying to produce something like shonkymaps for Magellan units.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 05 October 07 8:41 pm

just wondering if its easy to incorpate the http://www.openstreetmap.org/ data

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 10 October 07 10:50 am

Incorporating other third party data, particularly roads and tracks requires a significant amount of manual work to identify any duplicate roads and tracks in the underlying Geoscience Australia shape files and remove them. Otherwise the maps end up with two very close parallel lines, which detracts from the overall shonky quality. :roll: <p>

The primary reason for my creation of shonkymaps was for rural navigation and to aid in my outdoor activities such as geocaching. When I started shonkymaps there was nothing comparable available in Australia (not even T4A). Major roads inside cities are available as per the underlying GA data, however there are a multitude of commercial solutions available from Garmin and other vendors for navigating around minor city streets and I currently have no intentions of adding this sort of data to Shonkymaps. <p>

The open street map project is still immature. They have great intentions, but it will be quite a while before the data is anywhere near as thorough as commercial map sets and GA data.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 14 October 07 10:42 am

your right, and even though there is some methods to export to devices it doesn't seem to be inherit in there system, ie you have to go thru some extra steeps to use export it for use in a GPSr etc.. but I guess that might improve over time.
I also note there are a few open-source mapping projects going around eg the NZ has something specifically for garmin GPS devices.
Thanks for the update.

shonkylogic

Version 3.50 is now available

Post by shonkylogic » 21 October 07 12:29 am

Shonkymaps Version 3.50 is now available for download.<p>

I've just put a bit torrent file for a new version of shonkymaps up on the <a target="_blank" href="http://www.shonkylogic.net">shonkylogic</a> site. If you have a bit torrent client such as uTorrent or Azureus then please feel free to download the torrent file to get the next version of shonkymaps. I'll put the actual setup file on the site in a couple of weeks once the early adopters have their copy and are seeding it and the download bandwidth drops away. If you're not into bit torrent then just be patient.<p> I'm only releasing the torrent at this stage because shonkymaps is incredibly popular and is currently experiencing about 5GB of download bandwidth a day, so if all the current users tried to download the full 340MB file at once it would probably kill the site! <p>

Changes from Version 3.40 are as follows:<p>
<font size="1">
Change rendering of class 3 unsealed roads to make them easier to see on a gps unit.
<p>
Added Waterpoints to outback areas (data from GA - don't stake your life on water being drinkable or even available). These have been added as 'blue' navigation symbols as they seem appropriate on a colour screen. Windpumps (windmills?) have been added as 'radio towers'. Completely shonky on Mapsource, but the symbol on the unit sort of looks a bit like a windpump. (ok, so I have a good imagination). Other water sources have been added as blue circles or taps.
<p>
Added public toilets (data from gpsaustralia.net). Sorry, I can't seem to make these searchable unless I use the 'tourist info' symbol, (which is also a toilet incidentally). Just too shonky even for me.
<p>
Changed the display name of all unnamed 'gravel road' to either 'unsealed road' or 'track' (but some might indeed be gravel roads!)
<p>
Added names for offshore islands.
<p>
Added UHF CB Repeaters (data from gpsaustralia.net). These are not shown on the gps unit (not on my GPS60CX anyway), but can be searched pressing Find then selecting the 'Services' category.
<p>
Upgraded the 'setup' program to the latest version - perhaps it will solve some of the Windows Vista install issues. But don't hold your breath.
</font><p>

The torrent file is in the downloads section. Click on Downloads, then click on the Shonkymaps 3.50 folder. I'm seeding it from here, and I only have 256kb upload speed, so it might be a bit slow at first, but will get better as more people start to download and seed it.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 21 October 07 7:25 pm

Hi
Do these changes have much of an effect for WA users?
Love your work by the way. :)

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 21 October 07 9:09 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:Hi
Do these changes have much of an effect for WA users?
<p>
Ahh... bugger. It seems the public toilets haven't worked correctly for WA. Can you cross your legs for a couple of weeks until I can get a fix out? :oops:

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 21 October 07 9:19 pm

Yep, I can hold it :)

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 22 October 07 10:04 am

No worries I found the issue and I'm compiling version 3.51 now. It takes around 48 hours of flat-out processing for a duo-core notebook to compile the detail map set. A significant amount of number crunching.