RAM Mounts - Just the ducks nuts!

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

RAM Mounts - Just the ducks nuts!

Post by Webguy » 08 May 07 10:36 am

After I have now been through a number of the cheap windshield phone mounts that really are not designed for holding a GPS securely, I ordered a RAM windshield mount and cradle for my 60CX from the states. About $27 cheaper landed than the prices here in Aus.

I also ordered the handlebar mount base from GPSOZ @ $27 inc freight which was cheaper than from over seas for my MTB.

So, what do I think?

The windshield mount is just the ducks nuts!! Ain't nuffin going to shift that sucker off the windshield when attached, and the short 3 inch arm can be contorted into the perfect position that I need. The cradle holds it perfectly, it aint going to fall out of that anytime soon.

I used the MTB mount on Sunday, and was very impressed with how well it held it, over a period of hours it would slowly move a little, but not much and is just brilliant.

The RAM mount system is so flexible, at some point in the future, I may grab a few other pieces so I can mount multiple devices off the same mount.

For my money (Around $100 for the cradle, arm and 2 mounts) I wish I had done it earlier, and not wasted money on stupid phone holders. The stupid garmin windshield mount aint a patch on this baby!

The finally brilliant point for me are, lifetime warranty and if I change GPS, I only have to buy a different cradle to suit, not a whole new system again.

I think this is a system for life! Well worth considering if looking for a quality mounting system / solution.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 08 May 07 10:39 am

have you got any pictures for these "RAM mounts" I have a PDA Im using on my oem windshield mount which is fine except when I load the expansion unit which makes it too big for the cradle ... doh

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 May 07 10:54 am

I got this...

http://www.mountguys.com/product_p/ram-b-166-ga12.htm

and then this...

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/images/ram/ramb231z_big.jpg

This is the ram universal PDA cradle:

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/images/ram/ramb138pd3_big.jpg

Of course you could get any base you wanted to go with it etc.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 08 May 07 10:55 am

mtrax wrote:have you got any pictures for these "RAM mounts" I have a PDA Im using on my oem windshield mount which is fine except when I load the expansion unit which makes it too big for the cradle ... doh
Here is Ram's website where you will be able to look at there Massive range of mounts.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 08 May 07 10:57 am

I so want the laptop mount for the car that swings over the seat.

I'm not allowed.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 08 May 07 11:07 am

G'Day webguy

I've got a handlebar mount for my motorbike and it work really well. Does not move at all. The best $75 I've spent. Now all I need to get the windshield mount and I will be all set.

Dooghan

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 May 07 11:15 am

I hope you have some form of other backup attachment to the gps. I just read a 5 page forum discussion about how often the 60 series mounts spit out the gps when used on offroad bikes. One guy lost his gps all together. So most now use the lanyard as well so that if it does spit it out, it will just hang etc.

Since I am not that brutal, I don't expect to have a problem.

You should be able to buy the windshield mount by itself from GPSOz at a reasonable price.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 08 May 07 11:52 am

Webguy wrote:I hope you have some form of other backup attachment to the gps. I just read a 5 page forum discussion about how often the 60 series mounts spit out the gps when used on offroad bikes. One guy lost his gps all together. So most now use the lanyard as well so that if it does spit it out, it will just hang etc.

Since I am not that brutal, I don't expect to have a problem.

You should be able to buy the windshield mount by itself from GPSOz at a reasonable price.
No but the bike does spend most of the time on the road. When I do go off road I don't flog the shit out of the bike on the roughest roads/tracks/scrub I can find. As there is 5 pages about how it has happened I think I will start using the lanyard. I don't think I want to be telling my story on page 6.

Dooghan

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 May 07 11:58 am

Good idea.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 08 May 07 3:49 pm

Careful, dont rely on the mount entirely. For a start, you will find the fit of the button on the back of the Garmin into the hole on the cradle very tight. It takes some effort to remove the GPS from the mount. I ended up cracking my mount at this point, even after having filed some of the button away to make removal easier. With this done, I looped the lanyard around somewhere else when on my bike trip to Singleton in late March, but this still didnt stop the GPS falling off and landing on a bitumen road at about 60KPH.
The RAM cradle has to go back for a warrenty claim. But they wont warrant the damage to the GPS.
Apart from that, yes they are excellent mounts.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 May 07 3:52 pm

It is very tight, and takes a bit of effort to remove it from the cradle.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 08 May 07 5:19 pm

Webguy wrote:It is very tight, and takes a bit of effort to remove it from the cradle.
That will be handy on a cold day! Snap.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 08 May 07 6:54 pm

Dooghan wrote: I don't flog the shit out of the bike on the roughest roads/tracks/scrub I can find.

Dooghan

Hmmm,

Looks like I'm not the only one getting old Dooghie. :shock:

At least I still flog the $h!t outa things given the chance.

The mount's look great - You have sold me thats for sure. I'm sick of the GPS falling to the floor of the DropBear every sand dune I launch off. Give me the shits when I land and I have to reach down to the floor to read the max altitude I reached.

The best thing I think is that at $100 total I have nearly doubled the resale of the Bear upon installation. However if I destroy it and have to walk home I can disconnect it and carry it with my tool kits and other goodies I wanna keep.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 08 May 07 9:13 pm

Webguy wrote:It is very tight, and takes a bit of effort to remove it from the cradle.
It may be very tight but I have no trouble removing the GPS in under 2 sec. To me it does not look like breaking.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 08 May 07 9:24 pm

Bronze wrote:
Dooghan wrote: I don't flog the shit out of the bike on the roughest roads/tracks/scrub I can find.

Dooghan

Hmmm,

Looks like I'm not the only one getting old Dooghie. :shock:

At least I still flog the $h!t outa things given the chance.

The mount's look great - You have sold me thats for sure. I'm sick of the GPS falling to the floor of the DropBear every sand dune I launch off. Give me the shits when I land and I have to reach down to the floor to read the max altitude I reached.

The best thing I think is that at $100 total I have nearly doubled the resale of the Bear upon installation. However if I destroy it and have to walk home I can disconnect it and carry it with my tool kits and other goodies I wanna keep.
If I had a piece of shit like your DropBear I would flog it to.

Dooghan