RAM Mounts - Just the ducks nuts!

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 03 June 07 9:59 am

If you want low down on a pushy, why not custom make a mount that mounts onto the frame, instead of the handlebars. All you need is your Ram mount, remove the diamond base from the original mount by undoing the 2 bolts, then custom make a plate with appropriate U bolt size. Thats what I did for the Honda. I used a cut up polyurethane leaf spring bush as a "squeezable" grip between U bolt and handlebar so that it had heaps of grip without damaging the underlying structure.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 03 June 07 10:07 am

You can mount the ball so that it's not on top of the bar. On my motorbike I had to mount it at the 3 o'clock position due to the break and accelerator cable and the bar that's run along the top of the handle bar is in the way. It does not sit high but it does sit more forward then I want. I could change it so it sits low and close to the bar but then I would have the break cable rubbing against it.

Dooghan

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 03 June 07 10:07 am

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:If you want low down on a pushy, why not custom make a mount that mounts onto the frame, instead of the handlebars. All you need is your Ram mount, remove the diamond base from the original mount by undoing the 2 bolts, then custom make a plate with appropriate U bolt size. Thats what I did for the Honda. I used a cut up polyurethane leaf spring bush as a "squeezable" grip between U bolt and handlebar so that it had heaps of grip without damaging the underlying structure.
Image Image

mm

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 03 June 07 10:15 am

Geez, waddaya want from me Andrew, that would mean having to completely rebuild it. It has come off the bike, and been rebuilt in standard configuration for the Rocky. Except the cradle is away being replaced.

Bundy

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 03 June 07 10:26 am

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Geez, waddaya want from me Andrew, that would mean having to completely rebuild it. It has come off the bike, and been rebuilt in standard configuration for the Rocky. Except the cradle is away being replaced.

Bundy
:oops: :roll: :P

mm

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 03 June 07 12:22 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:If you want low down on a pushy, why not custom make a mount that mounts onto the frame, instead of the handlebars.
Thanks for the suggestion but I guess you haven't seem me at work making something :lol: Not a good look, trust me.

And oh, I didn't ask for pictures unless MM is Andrew as well and then it gets really confusing.

I do appreciate the ideas but and love the way you guys can set things up so cool.

Regards
Andrew

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 03 June 07 2:09 pm

Aushiker wrote:And oh, I didn't ask for pictures unless MM is Andrew as well and then it gets really confusing.
:wink:

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 05 June 07 10:22 am

And now, for an unashamed plug for the guys and girls at GPSOZ. I recieved my replacement cradle today. I contacted them, but could not remember if I had originally bought it from them, I couldnt find the receipt. No problems was the answer, send back the broken cradle and a copy of the email. A week and a half later, presto, a new cradle, no questions asked. So a big thumbs up goes to GPSOZ from this little black duck.

Cheers
Bundy

The Rats

Post by The Rats » 08 June 07 10:02 am

I was going to get on the forum today and brag about my new ram-mount holder which arrived yesterday from the states but after openning the box I noticed that the cradle was broken.<P>A quick email to the supplier and a new one will be shipped to me today. Whats not broken looks great and talk about stick. Its sticks like ........

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 08 June 07 10:21 am

Rat, even when you get ya 4by upside down, it will still be stickin like.....

matmob
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by matmob » 08 June 07 1:48 pm

You don't need to buy from overseas - GPSOZ stocks them and their prices include postage.

Webguy

Post by Webguy » 08 June 07 2:12 pm

yes, but as much as I like to buy from Oz, a saving of $30 on a $90 item is nothing to be sneezed at.

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 21 June 07 1:12 am

G'day

I took a different tack to Webguy and went with the Garmin mount for my flatbar (Giant CRX 1). Photos of the 60CSx and mount on the bike can be found at http://www.aushiker.com/gallery/ They are the last four photos.

For my MTB I was looking at a RAM mount for my Geko 301 but it seems such a beast does not exist so may well go with Garmin there too.

Regards
Andrew

The Rats

Post by The Rats » 22 June 07 12:35 pm

matmob wrote:You don't need to buy from overseas - GPSOZ stocks them and their prices include postage.
<P>I'm with Webby on this one. I bought the windscreen suction mount and the bicycle mount from O.S. It was delivered for $83, the same thing at GPSOZ is $120. You can do the maths.<P>As much as I like to keep my money in Australia the $37 saving will feed my kids for a few more days............. Why can't Australia match those prices?

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 22 June 07 7:17 pm

The Rats wrote:Why can't Australia match those prices?
Because Australians get paid Australian dollars and not Yen, RenMinBi or Rupee which are all lower than the inefficient Australian labour market, factory processes and raw material processing.

About the only advantage we have against these markets is our natural resource and technological prowess.

Thats why.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. It's not likely to change any time soon.