White lines on the eTrex

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Richary
8000 or more caches found

White lines on the eTrex

Post by Richary » 05 May 07 1:00 am

The old yellow eTrex is starting to show it's age, the last few times I have turned it on it has white lines across the screen where the display just isn't working. I suppose it is over 6 years old now.<p>Any thoughts, I am guessing it may just be some dirt or something has got into the connectors onto the LCD display. Has anyone fixed one of these before with a similar problem, how easy are they to get into?<p>And yes, I was an electronics tech in a past life so small parts and circuits don't scare me! 8)

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 05 May 07 7:35 am

Have you tried searching the forums on the other site and the UK site?

When I went looking for an etrex problem there was lots on those 2 sites.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 05 May 07 8:34 am

This PDF file may help you in your quest as the etrex's are essentially all very similar: Garmin Vista LCD Repair

They are very easy to open and fix common connector issues.....search this forum for past postings for further help. :P

mm

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 05 May 07 3:56 pm

and make sure you use CO contact cleaner and not CF contact cleaner as CF will melt the plastic. i wouldnt suggest being near an exposed flame whilst doing so either

Richary

Post by Richary » 07 May 07 8:37 pm

Thanks. Though further investigation shows it might not be the display connector, as the lines appear in different places each time I start it. Might need more investigation!

Richary

Post by Richary » 07 May 07 10:15 pm

Well, it's been pretty good since I bought it at the end of 2000 so can't really complain. It's had a fair bit of use 8) It normally lives in the glovebox so I guess it would get pretty warm during summer. For a basic non mapping one it certainly provides the functionality though.

The problem isn't bad enough to make it annoying to use (yet) and I do have the Foretrex as a backup.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 09 May 07 4:55 pm

I had one Venture repaired by GME, and after that one got the same problem I repaired it myself. The same issue stops the click stick working properly on the Venture/Legend.

The most recent repair only lasted about 6 months before it started stuffing up again, so I went an bought a Legend Cx. Well rather, my wife bought it for me.