Navman iCN 630

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
tolmh

Navman iCN 630

Post by tolmh » 24 February 04 10:07 am

Mmmm...3D map. Arghlglhhgllhlgll.... Image<p>

<p>Tech specs etc here.

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 24 February 04 5:29 pm

Nifty gimick. :)

Really, I like it!

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 24 February 04 6:45 pm

This might be the elusive solution to the "women can't read maps" syndrome! :P

Oh darn, am I going to cop it now! 8)

EcoDave :)

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 25 February 04 11:15 am

The rhetoric in my house-hold is that men can't read maps. The <b>reality</b> in my house-hold is that women can't drive (really), so she gets to do all the map reading anyway.

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 04 March 04 10:07 pm

Had a look at one - not overly impressed. External power only, no way to mark a waypoint. The supplied maps told the owner he had 200 metres to go to get home when he was in his driveway.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 06 March 04 9:22 am

Gawd your picky.
Back when I was a lad 200 meters for a search was nothing. Everything was black and white, paper cache pages, it would rain and we had to walk to the cache. You couldn't even ring someone and ask for help. You young fellas get it so bloody easy with your gadgets now-a-days.

The Bronze.
PS - This is an example of a complaint which would be happily accepted at thebronzemailbox@yahoo.com

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 08 May 05 8:33 pm

Back when you were a lad, a 200m search was standard, as your old Magellan routinely put you at least that far from the real co-ords each time you tried to use it. :lol: (I know this is a really old thread, I was just searching for NavMan topics & had to have a dig at Bronze. Just because he's Bronze.)

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 09 May 05 7:20 am

We picked up one of these jobbies to help us find our way around here:
<p>
<p>
A bit smaller than the 630. It tends to get a bit confused if you don't stay on the recognised roads (eg. some carparks), so I wouldn't recommend it for caching if you like heading off the beaten track. In my opinion, it's better as part of a combination - use the Navman to get you to the vicinity, then use a 'real' GPS with proper waypoints to get you to GZ.
<p>
If I could find a way to upload waypoints by lat/long rather than a street address, it would be a bit more attractive for caching. YMMV.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 10 May 05 8:09 am

I have recently bought a Navman PIN and I can confirm that SmartST (the program you see running on the piccies above) is useless for caching!

BUT.... the PIN runs Pocket2003 so you can run Ozi Explorer CE, GPSTuner and GPXSonar, all GREAT for caching...

Ozi CE is great on a handheld... no more inverters, laptops etc etc........

If you can run other apps on the items above, I'd steer away from em, especially if you want it for geocaching!

My 2 cents....

PS... I <heart> my navman!

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 10 May 05 9:13 am

I'm surprised nobody's written something to be able to push waypoints into it as POI.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 10 May 05 10:10 am

Cached wrote:I'm surprised nobody's written something to be able to push waypoints into it as POI.
Thats because it wont let you put in/navigate to a POI that isn't directly on a road...... therefore it is pretty useless..............

Lt. Sniper
Outdoor Adventurer

Post by Lt. Sniper » 10 May 05 11:32 am

CraigRat wrote:the PIN runs Pocket2003
So you bowed down to pressure hey CraigRat...Your in the M$ system now, thereÂ’s no getting out...resistance is futile...

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 10 May 05 12:19 pm

CraigRat wrote:BUT.... the PIN runs Pocket2003 so you can run Ozi Explorer CE, GPSTuner and GPXSonar, all GREAT for caching...
<p>
And Tetris, you forgot Tetris 8)

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 10 May 05 12:25 pm

Cached wrote:I'm surprised nobody's written something to be able to push waypoints into it as POI.
<p>
You can add favorites to it, which will come in handy with a bit of pre-planning, a very long winded process though - I'm going to try to put some in for my Sydney trip in a couple of weeks, it'll be a good test for it. There is also a POI appliction that comes with the desktop software for SmartST, but I don't think anyone has got it to work yet - it's supposed to a standard csv file, so importing a csv from GSAK should be the go - nope :?