Explorist 500/600 firmware updates..with extra screens..it's

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Dernel

Explorist 500/600 firmware updates..with extra screens..it's

Post by Dernel » 15 March 07 6:33 pm

Have a look at the magellan site firmware update ver 2.57 for European models with extra screens.

looking through GC posts seems to be fine on other non euro models,

cheers,

Derek

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 15 March 07 8:54 pm

Update done and very happy,

Went outside after the unit had the new software loaded into it and after a hard reset it locked onto its position in under 30 seconds, turn the unit off and back on and as soon as the screen loads up its already locked back onto the birds in the sky.

Noticed WAAS on my screen indicating two WAAS signals at full strength, but i managed to force myself to turn WAAS off :cry:

One little disappointing thing is you now have to go through two confirmation screens after turning the unit on :roll:

stickler
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by stickler » 15 March 07 9:47 pm

Yes, done the deed with the upgrade on the 600....Not sure whether the compass is working though! The level bubble certainly does not work and the heading appears to be pretty much west (all of the time!!). Any other experiences?

stickler

Post by stickler » 15 March 07 10:03 pm

Yep confimed that compass does not now work with the upgrade and "goto" does not work either using the compass to get close to the poi of geocache. It will have to be back to the old firmware for me (typical!).

stickler

Post by stickler » 15 March 07 10:23 pm

A little hasty to post...Problem solved with Service Menu 22 and a full compass recalibration. Now pointing north!

Team Geo-Nads
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Team Geo-Nads » 15 March 07 11:37 pm

I have upgraded the firmware on my 600 but the weather page will not let me re calibrate it. Anybody got any ideas

HawMorFords
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Grrrr

Post by HawMorFords » 16 March 07 9:12 am

I downloaded the new firmware and initially had trouble with the 'finding Magellan Explorist' screen on my Vista PC despite it working fine to transfer files otherwise. I then tried the laptop with XP and it worked straight away... another Vista anomaly.

I didn't read the release notes and was therefore hopeful of some of the annoying little things being addressed... Alas, not to be.

For a start, I would love the hint screen to show more than the first 50 characters.... no go.

It would also be great if the cache info screen showed the size of the container.... again - no cigar.

Oh well, the new nav screens will keep me occupied for a while.

Team Geo-Nads
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Team Geo-Nads » 16 March 07 10:15 am

I was a bit hasty too, should have read sticklers post more carefully. Problem now solved :oops:

ozzie-jeeper
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by ozzie-jeeper » 16 March 07 10:47 am

Can we now load a GpX file with more than 200 caches in it?...
Seems the hint thing is not fixed either...

So will contemplate whether its worth doint the update.

Not caching much latly :( ..work pressures a bit high at the moment

ozzie-jeeper
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by ozzie-jeeper » 20 March 07 4:16 pm

Couldnt resist the temtaton and did the firmware update..

Overall i give it a 0.5/10....

Functionality over all is not improved, although there are a few more screens to play with. Most of this is functionaly adaquate, but the new compass is nothing more than a toy.

Geo-caching issues have NOT been addressed. Hint screen still wont load all of the hints, despited the "Geo-caching manager" on the PC showing the full hint... a definate BUG that has been ignored.
Still cant have more than 200 caches per file, so it is still necessary to have many cache files to cover brisbane alone.

Overall, very disapointed with what is only a cosmetic overhaul of the menu system with known Bugs and caching issues ignored.

CanSolo
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CanSolo » 20 March 07 5:58 pm

I would say that is a common Magellan limit, rather than being a bug.

This one only really brings it into line with the other Firmware updates that had already been released.

Perhaps the next round of updates will address some of the issues, such as only 200 POI per file (no difference with POI's AFAIK)

stickler

Post by stickler » 20 March 07 7:28 pm

I assume the 200 limit is a compromise between a reasonable number and the GPS's ability to sort through them (ie. nearest position) in a timely manner. I do not have any problems in swtiching between files when travelling to a new area. As for longer hints, well thats a different matter.

CanSolo

Post by CanSolo » 20 March 07 11:36 pm

Don't see that as an issue from my perspective, but I use an iPod with all of the cache details in it, so I don't worry about the hints on the GPSr.

stickler

Post by stickler » 23 March 07 8:21 pm

With the new firmware, anyone experienced "Found" caches that become "Unfound" again. I did over the last 3 days!

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 31 March 07 11:25 am

they have updated the firmware site and left the Explorsit 500 with version 2.57 with a note saying "only for 500 models"

and the explorist 600 has gone back to version 2.3