OT Nokia Data Cable

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

OT Nokia Data Cable

Post by GeoScrubers » 14 March 07 2:33 pm

Has anyone used the data cables for Nokia phones? Any comment on success with using the phone as a modem from a laptop.. Thanks

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 14 March 07 3:09 pm

Might take a little bit of configuring, but should be fine to use, and generally just works once configured

Just make sure you plug the cable into the same usb port everytime

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 14 March 07 3:19 pm

I've used Nokia 6210 and (I think) 6320 as modems, both via GPRS and plain old GSM to a dial-up.

Worked OK, if you can handle 9600baud on plain GSM! (GPRS is up to about 57kpbs, IIRC)

I've also done it via IRdA, which worked pretty well, as long as you can keep them physically in the right positions.

There was one time I was sitting under a tree at 11pm in Christchurch, with a yellow eTrex hooked up via a serial cable to the laptop, which was online via the phone over IRdA, using a "Differential GPS over IP" system to get about 1m EPE under the heavy canopy. Ah, the things we cachers do to get accurate coords!

I've used a Nokia as a modem for a Palm over Bluetooth much more often, and that works well for simple email or the occasional cache-page lookup.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 14 March 07 7:25 pm

You must have a lot of time to spare to use infa red for data transfer, wow! If you had sirf3 gps under the tree, think how time you could have saved on!

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 14 March 07 9:58 pm

I have previosuly used Nokia 6210 and 6310 phones with cables to access dial-up in desperate situations. More recently I have got a 6233 with data cable - mainly used for phone management (adding/updating contacts) and text messaging with full-sized keyboard, btu the modem functions works fine, I just don't have a frequent need for it. ymmv...

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 15 March 07 10:50 am

Thanks all, I only need it for occasional access when away, can't justify $$ for wireless etc

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 March 07 11:34 am

Mr Router wrote:You must have a lot of time to spare to use infa red for data transfer, wow! If you had sirf3 gps under the tree, think how time you could have saved on!
The SIRF3 chipset is pretty good, but I doubt you'd get <1m EPE even under a clear sky!

This Internet thing was great (especially since they didn't charge me, treating me as a beta tester!) and I wish it was more widely available. It's like the commercial DGPS services, but with the dedicated radio link replaced by tunneling it through the Net, using gear that many people would already have. It was only a few tens of kB of data to set up the connection, then a few hundred bytes per minute to maintain.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 15 March 07 7:03 pm

Bear_Left wrote:
Mr Router wrote:You must have a lot of time to spare to use infa red for data transfer, wow! If you had sirf3 gps under the tree, think how time you could have saved on!
The SIRF3 chipset is pretty good, but I doubt you'd get <1m EPE even under a clear sky!

This Internet thing was great (especially since they didn't charge me, treating me as a beta tester!) and I wish it was more widely available. It's like the commercial DGPS services, but with the dedicated radio link replaced by tunneling it through the Net, using gear that many people would already have. It was only a few tens of kB of data to set up the connection, then a few hundred bytes per minute to maintain.
The best we have seen while sirfing is 2mt indicated epe! As to weather this is accurate I will never know. This other tech sounds like something cool! We already have 3g access and it is good, this sounds much the same! What ever happen to just a gps and paper? Without mapping our scenic route would be much longer :lol: