Explorist 600 or Garmin 60Csx

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Dernel

Explorist 600 or Garmin 60Csx

Post by Dernel » 06 March 07 6:48 pm

Hi,

I have been an avid magellan user, meridian colour, and now explorist 600, and due to my explorist not turning on!, will soon make a decision to purchase a new unit.

I use the unit for bushwalking, geocaching, and general driving requirements, without auto routing etc.

I have been used to the discover Aus and worldwide software for magellan and would appreciate any "brand unbiased" feedback from anyone who has used both the explorist 600 and the garmin 60Csx series, on the benefits and downfalls of both units..and if you had your choice again what would you buy?

thanks for your help,

Derek

Dernel

Post by Dernel » 06 March 07 6:52 pm

And yes i will have a quote for repair of the 600, however, will still be very interested in feedback from anyone who has had the opportunity to use either units side by side or has owned both.

thanks,

Derek

Dernel

First impressions

Post by Dernel » 14 March 07 5:01 pm

OK now that i have purchased the 60Csx after a magellan Colour and explorist 600..and all the mapping software and accessories that go with the unit....

60Csx..far better screen in any sunlight

Standard firmware seems to have many more features that explorist

Mapsource software relatively easy to use

Comfortable unit to hold, and can be zoomed in to less than 35 metres.

Cannot seem to get NMEA to work at this point in time

Explorist directory system better i believe.

Discover Aus Control center function good, not sure if Mapsource has this function.

Just need to go find a couple of caches now!

This was not an exercise at knocking either magellan or Garmin units, was merely trying to gauge if anyone had used both..and their opinions.

Cheers,

Derek

Dooghan

Re: First impressions

Post by Dooghan » 14 March 07 8:50 pm

Dernel wrote:This was not an exercise at knocking either magellan or Garmin units, was merely trying to gauge if anyone had used both..and their opinions.

Cheers,

Derek
It's works fault for me not having both. They don't pay me enough.

BurnieM

Post by BurnieM » 17 March 07 8:56 pm

Garmins will only send Garmin protocol out the USB port

You need to use the serial port if you want NMEA

If you only have USB on your PC then you need to use a USB/serial converter with a serial cable to get NMEA out (yes, I know this sounds odd)