Worth Switching from CDMA to 3G?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Worth Switching from CDMA to 3G?

Post by Aushiker » 05 January 07 5:57 pm

G'day

It seems that my Nokia Pre-paid CDMA phone is coming to the end of its life (keeps turning itself off) so I am looking at my options which appear to be either trying to get this repaired or switching to either GSM or 3G phone.

It appears that Telstra is shutting down the CDMA network in early 2008 so basically only have a year left on the CDMA network anyway.

As my primary use is using the phone as phone (voice and text) and wanting decent coverage in the bush (CDMA is reasonable here) I am wondering if there is any benefit in going to 3G over GSM in the short to mid term given that 3G is still rolling out. Thoughts?

If to go to 3G any thoughts on a good phone? I see Telstra has a Nokia N80 on a plan (I am a Nokia fan).

Thanks
Andrew

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 05 January 07 7:35 pm

If your worried about coverage, then 3G will be worth the move.

Currently the coverage is only the same as the CDMA network, but by the time that the rollout is finished, the coverage will be 1/3 better again.

As far as decent phones, go i cant tell you much there

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 05 January 07 7:54 pm

We have just got an lu5000 lg nextg and think now that it looks flash and does far more than our nokia cdma,BUT the battery goes flat heaps guicker and the coverage for various reasons is just the same :!:
In short if you can stick to the old till time runs out.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 05 January 07 8:08 pm

Hi

Well it looks like my CDMA is pretty much dead so its either another Nokia CDMA at $149 prepaid or switch to a Next 3G on a plan. Telstra has a base Next 3G phone for free at the moment. Might try that first.

Battery life is important as I bushwalk ... can be up to 8 days without a power plug :-)

Andrew

vk7hch
1150 or more Caches found
1150 or more Caches found

Post by vk7hch » 05 January 07 8:32 pm

You can get hand cranked torch/radio/phone chargers these days, I am not sure of the efficiency of the charging circuit, but it may be worthwhile checking them out if you are extended away from traditional methods of charging. Not sure which makes/models are supported, but I know the standard Nokia plug is supported.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 05 January 07 8:45 pm

G'day

Not really interested in chargers. Just adds to the weight carried and that is important when you are carrying it, trust me. I have survived without them up to 14 days so far with my Nokia. Mind you the battery had little life in when we made Alice and had to limit usage to text messages at high points no more than once every couple of days.

With the phone, I just keep it off until I need to call in or text in to the SAR person. This normally keeps battery life okay, but with the Nokia if it was on the fringe of its range it appears to use up the battery quicker, so even minimal use could push the limits a bit. Like to have some reserve in case it becomes necessary to call in an emergency.

Experience shows that you need to spend some time on the phone trying to explain where you are, teach them grid references etc :-)

The bottom line is more battery life the better and preferably no charger.

Regards
Andrew

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 05 January 07 8:58 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Well it looks like my CDMA is pretty much dead so its either another Nokia CDMA at $149 prepaid or switch to a Next 3G on a plan. Telstra has a base Next 3G phone for free at the moment. Might try that first.

Battery life is important as I bushwalk ... can be up to 8 days without a power plug :-)

Andrew
There is CDMA, GSM '2G speed' 3G and the new one is called Next G

When you say Next 3G I'm thinking you are really referring to Next G, which has the same style of coverage as CDMA

3G uses the standard GSM network although 3G download speeds are only available in a small amount of the GSM coverage area.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if your looking for remote locations then go for CDMA or the newer better option Next G and don't get confused like many people and go into a shop and purchase a 3G phone when what you are actually looking for is a Next G phone,

I hope i made some sense there :D

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 05 January 07 9:25 pm

This picture will help you make up your mind and stop getting mixed up between the two :D

First Picture is of the GSM/3G network coverage.

White= Satellite coverage, Light Green = car kit with external antenna,
Dark Green = GSM Handheld, Purple = GSM 3G

Second Picture is the new Next G
White = Satellite, Orange = Next G with external antenna. Red = Next G Handheld

I'm sure you now wont call Next G a 3G again :lol:

try it out for yourself @

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networ ... e/maps.cfm

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 05 January 07 9:45 pm

Bear in mind that you'll only get the coverage that GIN51E shows if you buy an 850Mhz Next G phone... there are ones that run on higher frequencies only (1800Mhz, 2100Mhz) that will *not* give you that coverage.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 05 January 07 11:13 pm

G'day

Yeah I am looking at the Next G Telstra network which is replacing the CDMA network.

Looks like Telstra is offering a free upgrade to a basic phone. Might go with that and see what models come out in a few months

Thanks
Andrew

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 05 January 07 11:45 pm

Hi
I might be able to get you a replacement hand set from Bob the guy I work with, he has just changed back to gsm and had a pre paid cdma which I think is now just sitting around.

psychokat
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by psychokat » 06 January 07 12:01 am

If you go into a telstra shop and buy a next G phone double check it. They are currently selling 3G and saying they are NextG. NextG broadcasts on the wcdma band so check on the box or with the manufacterer. I know half a dozen people who have been caught out. Telstra did exchange the phones but it took some running around.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 06 January 07 2:03 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:Hi
I might be able to get you a replacement hand set from Bob the guy I work with, he has just changed back to gsm and had a pre paid cdma which I think is now just sitting around.
Thanks Andrew. Might be interested. Had the battery tested today and it seems okay. The phone has being playing nicely today so maybe it was just a bad battery connection and taking it out and putting it back a few times has fixed it.

Will see how it goes over the weekend.

I have pretty much decided to stick to CDMA until the network closes down and there is a greater choice of phones on Next G.

Andrew

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 09 January 07 4:35 pm

G'day

Still looking. Nokia have a new phone, 6085, coming which runs on "EGSM Quadband 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz." Also the 6290 which runs on * GSM Quadband 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz WCDMA 2100 MHz
Would these be Next G compatible?

Andrew