Does anyone know anything about MSN messenger?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Tysonium
100 or more tracks walked

Does anyone know anything about MSN messenger?

Post by Tysonium » 12 April 03 12:27 am

I am having problems with messenger, i can recieve message from people, but i can not send them

this is what i get:

"The following message could not be delivered to all recipients:
Is this working?"

I don't know what it is. everyone who sends me a message thinks i am a snob by not replying,

So to those people who have messaged me, i'm sorry, i am not a snob, i just can't reply.

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 24 April 03 12:14 pm

Or just forget messenger and use ICQ :)

Tysonium

Hazaah

Post by Tysonium » 24 April 03 7:09 pm

Cheers to you two.
I have gone back to ICQ after Messengers Stuff up, so i too again have an icq number

It is an old one, from when i started high school, those 7 years ago.

Excellent
TYSONIUM
HORACEcaching

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Hounddog » 24 April 03 8:13 pm

I find I get this message on messenger if the recipient is doing any of the following. They don't have enough space on their drive or they are using the hard drive heavily for other tasks at the time or the internet security settings are set to high or the MSM server is down at their end. It could also come up if YOU are using your disk for too much or your settings for uploading are incorrect or your current connection is too slow for an efficiently fast upload. This all stems from it's up/download time allocation protocols.
If the server OS calculates that the transfer is going to take too long it will not try to send/receive. During times of heavy congestion on the network, the allotted transfer time will be shortened, therefore accentuating the problem.

Also don't forget that the MSM server often goes down for long periods which may not be evident to you as it may only be blocking the other end.

In short MSM does not seem to like slow up/down loading.

Hope this helps

Hounddog

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 27 April 03 11:58 pm

The best feature I ever found with MSN was the uninstall capability. :) After a harmless virus propogated itself via an MSN vulnerability, it didn't take much convincing

I use trillian (http://www.trillian.cc), which supports, ICQ, AIM, Yahoo, MSN, IRC (with far fewer of those gaping security holes that the Evil Empire peddles) ...

I'll say upfront that some people have had problems with Trillian, but I like it.

- Rog