cabling options for the eTrex GPS

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
mtrax

cabling options for the eTrex GPS

Post by mtrax » 22 December 06 12:46 pm

There seems to be a few cables for this GPS unit, and price is a priority, whats the best option to go with?
Ideally I would like a 12V adapter but main requirement is PC connection just wondering if I should go with a external power.
wow these cables are pricey $$$ for what they are....
Are there any 2nd hand cables any where?

BTW whats it cost and how hard to make my own cable?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 22 December 06 1:04 pm

Do a google search on it - I found someone selling the proprietary connector for the back quite cheap about 3 years ago (can't recall where now). Then just chop the end of a standard serial cable and attach it, Bob's your uncle.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 22 December 06 1:19 pm

Have a read of the various options available here ==> Garmin Plugs including the relatively cheap non-genuine connectors and how to make your own cable. 8)

mm

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 22 December 06 1:37 pm

thanks, I'll check them out after xmas, I'm assuming the PC data cable + s/w will make it easier to enter geocache co-ords into etrex. :?:

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 22 December 06 5:53 pm

When I had a Etrex I made 2 cables for mine. A straight data and data/power cable. Total cost $20. There are heaps of sites with HOWTO's. Also remember the local recycle center/dump is a good source for some of the parts.

Dooghan

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 22 December 06 6:29 pm

mtrax wrote:thanks, I'll check them out after xmas, I'm assuming the PC data cable + s/w will make it easier to enter geocache co-ords into etrex. :?:
Shure will 8)

I made my data lead out of an old serial mouse cable, some plastic from a fruit juice bottle, some wire, solder and some hot glue. I also use it with a null modem adaptor made of 2 old serial port headers to connect to my Palm IIIxe with cachemate for averaging when placeing caches. Have even used it with the GPSr on top of a 5 meter stick with pda on the ground to get over the bushes :lol: .

For a power adaptor I modified a mobile phone car power adaptor for 3 volts. Make sure you know what your doing there or you could fry you GPSr. On this one a machined up a nice plug out of plastic and fited gold plated pins out of a RJ11 socket with some countersunk miniture machine screw to hold them in place. The pins are designed so they are slightly springy so as to maintain conection. Only fault so far the plastic has warped a bit by parking the car in the sun.

Don't try using a plug containing hot glue in your car - first hot day and it melts :twisted:

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 22 December 06 6:35 pm

If I am making one myself the main issue is the plug on the etrex side ie a rs232 plug should be easy to find but to have a plug on the GPS which connects ok would be good to find...

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 22 December 06 7:15 pm

mtrax wrote:If I am making one myself the main issue is the plug on the etrex side ie a rs232 plug should be easy to find but to have a plug on the GPS which connects ok would be good to find...
Doesn't anyone read my posts :roll: :lol:

The plugs are specific to Garmin etrex's, geko's and Emap's. You will have to either buy/obtain a GPS lead to get one OR get an equivalent plug from pfranc.com (the australian supplier is gpsoz, the first "distributor", hence my link).

Not wanting to sound like a broken record, but you really should explore that link (and the subsequent external/internal links on that page) i supplied as it will give you everything you need, both for data and for power. :P

mm

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 23 December 06 10:20 am

sorry for the misunderstanding ,I did explore that page.
I guess looks like $25 for a pre-built one is ok compared to $39 retail version

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 23 December 06 11:00 am

G'Day mtrax

I just came across a cable that I made when I had a etrex. You can have it (free) if you want. It's just a data cable. I made it out of a old serial mouse cable and has a proper Eplug on it for the Etrex. I'm just about to leave for Mackay for xmas so if you want it I wont be able to send it until I get back next week. Drop me a pm or email via the forum if you want it.

Dooghan

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 24 December 06 2:30 am

mtrax wrote:sorry for the misunderstanding ,I did explore that page.
I guess looks like $25 for a pre-built one is ok compared to $39 retail version
I bought (won) an etrex data cable for under $20 a year ago on ebay from this guy: http://search.ebay.com.au/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQ ... Q5fnoQ5fme
I like Dooghan's offer though 8)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 24 December 06 8:23 am

yes, environmentally sound too.. recycled/re-used cables :) if its a 12V cable then that will be my next purchase . perhaps later when I get a few caches under my belt.

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 27 December 06 2:24 pm

For a grow-your-own cable, get a pfranc plug.

I wanted to connect my eTrex to my HP ipaq, and ended up buying a pre-built cable from gpsoz which includes a cigarette lighter plug. If you plug it in it powers the GPS and the PDA.

If you are considering the pre-built route check out http://www.pc-mobile.net/gps.htm . They have a cabling system where you get one plug to suit your GPS and one to suit your PDA. Some come with Y adaptors so you can connect 12V as well. You get the plugs you need and connect them together.