Paperless Caching and PDA's

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
The Explorer

Post by The Explorer » 06 May 07 10:59 pm

For those contemplating getting a PDA look at one of the many PDA's with inbuilt gps. Several makes/models are MUCH cheaper than some of the PDAs with no GPS mentioned in this thread.

Cheers
Greg

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 06 May 07 11:20 pm

I've been using my Palm Z22 - at the moment it's got a pocket query with every cache for a hundred miles on it. We're in Melbourne so there are a lot. I ended up using the free mobipocket program, and haven't had any problems.

Per the above post, my son bought a cheap, older ipaq and has somehow managed to get tomtom running on it. He uses it as a car GPS, not for geocaching, and finds it works well.

allrounder
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by allrounder » 07 May 07 12:05 am

listmaker wrote:I've been using my Palm Z22 - at the moment it's got a pocket query with every cache for a hundred miles on it. We're in Melbourne so there are a lot. I ended up using the free mobipocket program, and haven't had any problems.

<p>i use the same model Palm and use to use mobipocket until i started having issues with equations for waypoints (it oput weird characters in) and missing additional waypoint info unless it was included in the body of the description...

<p>i now use GSAK

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 07 May 07 1:53 pm

If you use GSAK you can export all your caches to HTML which captures most of the data and provides a pretty easy way I of displaying them, without the need for extra PDA s/w.
But the above doesn't capture find times and TB capture data as well as easily locating nearby caches.

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 08 May 07 8:39 pm

I am slowly working towards going paperless and just wanted to say how useful I am finding this dialogue, and thanks to everyone contributing. :D Hopefully I may have something to contribute myself before too long.

Grank

Post by Grank » 08 May 07 9:51 pm

mtrax wrote:If you use GSAK you can export all your caches to HTML which captures most of the data and provides a pretty easy way I of displaying them, without the need for extra PDA s/w.
But the above doesn't capture find times and TB capture data as well as easily locating nearby caches.
Sounds like what I want. I just want the cache page and a few logs. I assume you just nominate a folder as target (on the export) and then open the files on the PDA (I am waiting for mine in the mail from eBay so cannot play yet).

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 08 May 07 9:52 pm

I've now got a bluetooth GPSr and have started using GeoNiche on the PALM TX as a pseudo GPS with some success in conjunction with the greatest geocaching program, Cachemate :wink: (and GSAK on the PC)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 09 May 07 10:10 am

rhinogeo wrote: conjunction with the greatest geocaching program, Cachemate :wink:
Only on plam platform :lol:

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 09 May 07 2:21 pm

Mr Router wrote:
rhinogeo wrote: conjunction with the greatest geocaching program, Cachemate :wink:
I run cachemate ppc on my jornada and am very happy with it

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 10 May 07 7:23 am

Cheesy pigs wrote:
Mr Router wrote:
I run cachemate ppc on my jornada and am very happy with it
Why when it will run GPX Sonar, try exporting an ozi wpt file from cachemate !

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 10 May 07 8:35 am

Mr Router put us onto GPXSonar when we set up our IPAQ and we haven't looked back.

We dont use technology as much as some others do - follow the arrow on the GPSr and have cache notes handy via GPXSonar. Works for us!

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 10 May 07 11:47 am

Team Falling Numerals wrote:Mr Router put us onto GPXSonar when we set up our IPAQ and we haven't looked back.

We dont use technology as much as some others do - follow the arrow on the GPSr and have cache notes handy via GPXSonar. Works for us!
Fine work!

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 10 May 07 6:46 pm

After reading this thread, I deleted mobipocket from my Palm, installed Cachemate instead and also the excellent GSAK on the PC. Ran a new pq, and am very impressed with the way it all works. Many more features and choices, and very easy to use.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 10 May 07 9:12 pm

I still don't get it.

As I detailed on P1 of this thread, you don't need any special software.

On the cache page choose "save as" and save to your hard drive. Then copy the file and folder of the same name (or the folder containing all the cache pages) to the ipaq. As long as you get your file structure right it's easy to find on the ipaq.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 10 May 07 9:32 pm

Dik: wrote:I still don't get it.

As I detailed on P1 of this thread, you don't need any special software.

On the cache page choose "save as" and save to your hard drive. Then copy the file and folder of the same name (or the folder containing all the cache pages) to the ipaq. As long as you get your file structure right it's easy to find on the ipaq.
What, for EVERY page?! One at a time!? No, thanks!