Looking to buy my first GPS...help!

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Decaf

Looking to buy my first GPS...help!

Post by Decaf » 04 December 06 11:23 pm

Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but not new to geocaching as such. I have a friend who used to take me out 'treasure hunting' a few years ago when i lived in Switzerland. Now moved to Sydney and interested in investing my own money in a GPS unit. From what I can tell the Garmin 60CSx is the ultimate machine... but at around $800 it isnt the most affordable. Do the benefits of this GPS justify the price, or is there a better opinion? Another question for sydneysiders: Where would you suggest buying the unit?

Any advice/opinions is appreciated, I cant wait to find my first Cache in OZ!

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 04 December 06 11:40 pm

I'd buy the 60cx for $690 instead - I can't personally see the worth in the extra $100+ for an electronic compass/fancier altimeter.

Thats my next GPS. I wouldn't even look at anything else.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 05 December 06 12:11 am

The first question I would ask myself is "do I really need a electronic compass and barometric altimeter?" If you don't need these things then look at the 60Cx. You'll save yourself $100 right there. Put in a SD card up to 2GB and that would be more then enough to your track logs and maps of Australia. Can also get some free maps of Australia to put on it. It has the SiRF III chipset in it which will give you a fast and better lock on the sats under heavy tree cover.

Dooghan

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 05 December 06 12:46 pm

I know $100 is a lot to many people, but for caching the Sx is really useful as it gives you a direction while stationary, not just while moving.
This can be a real bonus when working in tight areas such as in thick undergrowth or between boulders :D, and a safety feature on the edge of a precipice. :shock:

On memory, I have City Navigator, Tracks 4 Australia and 1:250,000 topo for all Australia on 512 MB

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 05 December 06 2:01 pm

The eTrex series are very good if all you are doing is geocaching. With the money you save, you can buy a set of paper maps and a Sydway or UBD (don't under-estimate the value of paper maps).

I use an eTrex Legend and the free map from tracks4australia.com, although I believe you get some Oz maps if you buy a Garmin GPS in Australia.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 05 December 06 3:30 pm

Unfortunately I think that you are going to get as many opinions as there are posts to your thread!

I have found that geocachers are very loyal to the particular brand and/or piece of equipment that they use.

However to add to the confusion - we have a Garmin 60 - it cost us $360.00 - We have been geocaching since June this year and generally we don't use maps on the road (except for topos when we are in the bush or street directories) and have no interest in any of this mapping guff that goes on - we are well served by our unit and have found most of the caches in our area without encountering any difficulties that arise because of limitations of equipment.

That being said - GeoRobert was musing on the weekend about whether an upgrade was in order. I reminded him that we probably had to deal with the damage to the car as a result of the wallaby that we just hit first!! :shock:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 05 December 06 4:58 pm

Surprise, surprise; the more money you spend, the better the GPSr you get and the better it'll serve you!

However, there's been a helluvalot of caches found by following the arrow on the most basic of yellow eTrexes!

Built-in maps are nice, especially if you're caching in unfamiliar areas (and that's one of the good things about caching; being taken to unfamiliar areas!)

Autorouting is a bonus, especially if you cache solo often. They cop some bad press, but I reckon it's safer than balancing a street directory on your lap!

Personally, I'd suggest picking up a cheap etrex on ebay or your local trading post type paper. It'll do the job, and you'll get a feel for the things that you can't do that you'd like to. Then you can probably sell it for about what you paid and trade up to something with the bells and whistles you now think you need.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 December 06 7:38 pm

Bear_Left wrote:However, there's been a helluvalot of caches found by following the arrow on the most basic of yellow eTrexes!
Over 1,000 by this little black duck with the basic e-trex.
Driving round in circles in areas unknown means you get to experience the best of the new area without just following "turn left, turn right" because you're always on the lookout fior the right road to take you the right direction.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Re: Looking to buy my first GPS...help!

Post by EcoTeam » 05 December 06 8:18 pm

Decaf wrote:Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but not new to geocaching as such. I have a friend who used to take me out 'treasure hunting' a few years ago when i lived in Switzerland. Now moved to Sydney and interested in investing my own money in a GPS unit. From what I can tell the Garmin 60CSx is the ultimate machine... but at around $800 it isnt the most affordable. Do the benefits of this GPS justify the price, or is there a better opinion? Another question for sydneysiders: Where would you suggest buying the unit?

Any advice/opinions is appreciated, I cant wait to find my first Cache in OZ!
Will an $800 GPS help you find caches 8 times faster or more efficient than a $100 GPS? = Nope.

A bottom of the range $100 GPS will allow you to Geocache to the same level as anyone with a top of the range $800 unit. The $800 unit is, well, sexier. Mapping is nice, very nice, but you pay for the privilege, it is by no means essential. The newer higher priced units have a much more sensitive receiver, but again, by no means essential.

Buy based on your budget.

Buy from the US via eBay, do not buy a GPS in Australia, the prices are artificially inflated by Garmin.

EcoDave :)

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 05 December 06 8:25 pm

Bear_Left wrote: However, there's been a helluvalot of caches found by following the arrow on the most basic of yellow eTrexes!
...not to mention caching contests. We have won more than one caching contest with nothing but a basic Yellow eTrex and a magnetic compass.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of cache finds vs GPS type. I would not be surprised if basic eTrex beat all other types combined.

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 05 December 06 9:02 pm

EcoTeam wrote:
It would be interesting to know the percentage of cache finds vs GPS type. I would not be surprised if basic eTrex beat all other types combined.
Only because it's cheap and there are more of them out there!

Decaf

Post by Decaf » 05 December 06 9:33 pm

Well thanks for all the tips. even if some are a bit contradictory to others. Seems i don't really need a GPS! Found 2 of 2 without one today. I did go for easy caches in my area (that i know quite well), but it still seemed like a small triumph, and managed to pick up a travel bug in the process that is heading to Perth in January when i visit. I will be purchasing a unit in the coming week. And look forward to exploring more of Sydney

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 05 December 06 10:21 pm

Webguy wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:
Only because it's cheap and there are more of them out there!
Not necessarily true. The eTrex originally cornered the market for it's small form factor and user friendliness I believe. There was nothing else like it at the time.
Nothing wrong with using price as a criteria for a GPS buying decision though.

I like to think the eTrex series has other advantages too - the small size, form factor, one handed button layout, user interface, lanyard attachment, and ruggedness are all excellent IMHO.

RedPaw64
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by RedPaw64 » 05 December 06 11:34 pm

I am fairly new to Geocaching and I decided to buy the Etrex VistaCX which I am finding to be a great unit. it has the electronic compass and the Altimeter. For the Unit was around the $550 mark and then I also purchased the City Navigator map to go with it.

I am happy with it. I looked for a while and find this to be easy to hold, easy to operate, and suitable for everything i want to do.

Happy Caching :D

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 05 December 06 11:43 pm

If you're really looking at spending $800+ you might be better off getting an in-car navigator (TomTom or similar) to go with a basic GPSr. The mapping function is extremely useful for urban geocaching, but a vehicle navigation system has a lot more bells and whistles than a hand-held when it comes to directing your vehicle (as John Cleese would say :wink: - in-joke for TomTom owners).
<P>If you're out in the bush, or even a suburban park, a mapping GPSr offers no real advantages over a basic model - it's just better at getting you to the park.
<P>That said, my experience with the SirfStar III chipset in my TomTom makes me envious of those GSMAP60cx owners.
<P>I still reckon the Etrex Legend offers the most bang for the buck.