For your Palm.. GPS Compass 5.5

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

For your Palm.. GPS Compass 5.5

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 08 January 04 9:06 am

Just found this. You will need a Palm and GPSr both with BT or connected.

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fusea ... prodID=401

Connect most Global Positioning Systems (the NMEA 0183v2 standard) to your PDA and get a real life compass - current location, elevation, speed, and direction...- plus odometer functions.
Updated Description:

· Full Palm OS 5 Compatibility · Full screen High Resolution 380x320 and higher support: 320x480 PalmOne Tungsten T3, Sony, ... · Rotating screen support for TapWave Zodiac devices, PalmOne Tugsten T3 · Expandable Screen support with Virtual grafitti area · Full support of Garmin Ique · Full use of Sony JogDial shortcut · Full use of Tugsten 5-way navigator shortcut · GPS satellites signal status: location and number of satellites in the sky overhead - available on devices supporting virtual graffiti area.- · New GUI to enter GPS type. Enter it one for all · Declare your GPS connected / not connected · Full support of Kyocera and Samsung devices, but the GPS locator including in these smart phone is not a true GPS device. This smart phone supports cell-based positioning - first used in 911 services- supported by some carriers rather than true global, satellite-based positioning. To use this smartphone for GPS navigation, you will need to use it coupled with a real GPS unit · Stay on option is now available only when a GPS unit is plugged in, to avoid loosing GPS information

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 08 January 04 11:04 am

I have a few similar apps on my memory card, but none of them have compelled me to buy/make a cable to a GPSr yet, though.

Even the little eTrex has most, if not all, of the functionality of any of these programs, and the Meridian's customisable screens make the Palm progs even more redundant.

Now, with a sealed box of a BT GPSr, I can see the need for PDA screens!

What am I missing? There must be some reason that these programmers spent their time on creating GPS apps.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 16 January 04 5:27 pm

Bear_Left wrote:I have a few similar apps on my memory card, but none of them have compelled me to buy/make a cable to a GPSr yet, though.

Even the little eTrex has most, if not all, of the functionality of any of these programs, and the Meridian's customisable screens make the Palm progs even more redundant.

What am I missing? There must be some reason that these programmers spent their time on creating GPS apps.
http://www.navman.com/corp/news/08_01_2004_gps4460.html
Maybe that gives you a better purpose...
How about life mapping and driving instructions?

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 January 04 5:51 pm

ToolkiT wrote:
Bear_Left wrote:I have a few similar apps on my memory card, but none of them have compelled me to buy/make a cable to a GPSr yet, though.

Oh, yes, this looks like very nice software, indeed!

It was written by Sydney's own Gavin Maxwell of PocketScience and he's very proud of it!
He says it'll work with a BT or a cable-connected GPS.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 16 January 04 5:52 pm

Bear_Left wrote:
ToolkiT wrote:

Oh, yes, this looks like very nice software, indeed!

It was written by Sydney's own Gavin Maxwell of PocketScience and he's very proud of it!
He says it'll work with a BT or a cable-connected GPS.
I know, Gav gave me the link ;)

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 16 January 04 9:05 pm

I'm confused, is this Auspug or gc.com.au? :)

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 19 January 04 10:42 am

Mind Socket wrote:I'm confused, is this Auspug or gc.com.au? :)
is there a difference? :p :lol:

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 19 January 04 1:04 pm

What's an "AusPUG" ?

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 19 January 04 1:12 pm

RedDwarf wrote:What's an "AusPUG" ?
It's a place where little red dwarfs are called Wauloks ;) :p

Bronze