Non-GC but Cool.

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Bronze

Non-GC but Cool.

Post by Bronze » 25 January 04 2:57 pm

Non Geocaching I know but GC.com clayjar chat is having an event watching the Mars Landing of Opportunity.

The NASA Web TV link is here:

http://www.nasa.gov/ram/35037main_portal.ram

At 3pm AEST time is entry to atmosphere. Lunar module exits about 40 mins later. Commercual TV will be edited for News Exclusives. NASA TV will be unedited although the signal takes 10 mins from Mars to Earth. :roll:

Bronze.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 25 January 04 3:35 pm

Landing is actually 4:05 pm AEST. I would doubt the rover will roll off today IF it lands. I used to work at the Canberra Tracking Station when Mas Pathfinder landed in 1997. It's very exciting, but much less stressful watching it at home on the Net.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 25 January 04 4:23 pm

That was just what the Chat was saying when I arrived. It's actually stopped rolling just now. Your right - landed at 4.05. Has been rolloing the last 15 minutes. Pretty awesome watching / listening to it though the web.

They have Al Gore and Arnold in the control room congratulation everyone. Most of the control room loses their jobs from today.

Pulse Tone - Lander is stopped and all is ok.

Bronze.

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 25 January 04 8:46 pm

Hi all,
Multiple images of Mars taken by Opportunity are now in. They show a reasonably flat area with a rocky outcrop close by - possible first target for Opportunity when it becomes mobile. 8)

Latest info from JPL website & SpaceflightNow

:D

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 26 January 04 12:05 am

I wonder if they'll place a cache there? :) Actually, that gives me a thoguht for a new cache.