Do we have any Linux users in the Audience tonight?

Discussion about software such as GSAK, OziExplorer etc, as well as all things hardware, GPSrs, laptops, PDAs, paperless caching, cables etc
Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 27 October 06 2:55 pm

The teenager who inhabits the cave at the back of our house has set up his computer to run Linux. Like many kids these days he is very talented with working with computers and is willing to spend the time is setting it up and making everything work. I admire him for that.

The only concern I have with observing what our little Random Numeral has been been up to is the amount of time he seems to be spending on it mucking around to make it all work. As soon as he gets it all up and running and stable, he then upgrades, adds, fiddles or breaks something which then requires more time to remedy. Now I am all for exploration as a means of learning but I really wish I could convince him to leave it alone and concentrate on the fact that he is in Year 12 and still has exams to do!! :roll:

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 02 November 06 11:28 am

I went through that phase, spending more time tweaking the machine instead of actually using it. It will probably pass, especially as ubuntu does more and more without the need for fiddling with each release.

ideology

Post by ideology » 02 November 06 4:29 pm

gca runs on ubuntu linux with php, postgres and mysql.

overall the reliability has been exceptional. current uptime is 246 days (probably time to install a newer kernel, but what they hey!) some of the configuration is quite arcane but is improving with each release.

at home, i! prefers mac osx and only boots windows under duress! max osx is an excellent mix of unix and a top class gui.

sadly, it's still largely a windows world. the gca stats from last month show that 90% of gca hits were from windows boxen, 2% mac and less than 1% linux. despite this, we wouldn't be buying microsoft shares as the only way for them is down.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Re: Do we have any Linux users in the Audience tonight?

Post by Mr Router » 02 November 06 5:05 pm

EcoTeam wrote:
Mind Socket wrote: Still not convinced? I have a pile of Ubuntu CDs that let you take a test drive before installing. There are also VMWare images [15] available so that you can run Linux within windows.
How do I get one of those CD's Rog?
Or can I simply download it from a site somewhere and burn my own?

Tech question. Does Ubuntu/Linux read/write external USB NTFS hard drives?
e.g. If I had an XP machine and a Linux laptop could I simply (i.e. seamlessly) exchange the drive between machines?

EcoDave :)
See you @ the Chrissy party!

Mr Router

Re: Do we have any Linux users in the Audience tonight?

Post by Mr Router » 02 November 06 5:09 pm

Mr Router wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:
Mind Socket wrote: Still not convinced? I have a pile of Ubuntu CDs that let you take a test drive before installing. There are also VMWare images [15] available so that you can run Linux within windows.
How do I get one of those CD's Rog?
Or can I simply download it from a site somewhere and burn my own?

Tech question. Does Ubuntu/Linux read/write external USB NTFS hard drives?
e.g. If I had an XP machine and a Linux laptop could I simply (i.e. seamlessly) exchange the drive between machines?

EcoDave :)
See you @ the Chrissy party!
Just read all the logs , you have what you need ? see you at the Parramatta anyways

Phlosten

Post by Phlosten » 02 November 06 5:51 pm

Team Falling Numerals wrote: Now I am all for exploration as a means of learning but I really wish I could convince him to leave it alone and concentrate on the fact that he is in Year 12 and still has exams to do!! :roll:
Perhaps if he is pursuing an interest in the IT area maybe he would be interested in getting LPI certification while he is tinkering.

http://www.lpi.org/

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 03 November 06 9:30 am

Phlosten wrote:
Team Falling Numerals wrote: Now I am all for exploration as a means of learning but I really wish I could convince him to leave it alone and concentrate on the fact that he is in Year 12 and still has exams to do!! :roll:
Perhaps if he is pursuing an interest in the IT area maybe he would be interested in getting LPI certification while he is tinkering.

http://www.lpi.org/
Thanks for that idea - I will pass it onto him. At present he is hoping to do electrical engineering at UNSW (my old school) but the way I see the knowledge professions developing these days - mastery of IT is a critical part of the skill set of the professionals of the future. He already has a Cert III in Multimedia (obtained through school). Other quals in IT can only be of benefit to his overall skill set.